Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Depending on your model 5'er will determine the box or tie down you can use. Post your model and maybe we can help determine it for you as current owners can share their specs with you.

I can tell you that in mine 2 x 6V fit but not with boxes. There never were boxes just trays with tie downs either.

Welcome to the forum.
We are about to take delivery of a Super Lite Eagle HT 26.5 RKS (5'ER)
Do you have 2 6v batteries hooked in series in you 5'er without them being enclosed in sealed battery boxes which are vented to the outside? If so, is your battery compartment completely sealed off? It would have to be vented to the outside somehow in order to prevent a possible explosion. Maybe I don't understand something. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
Mark
TuSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #22

Your point about the battery compartment is very valid, TuSocks. I think that's one of the reasons some folks use AGM batteries vs. wet cells. From what I understand, it cures the venting problem. I'm no battery expert but I've been reading a lot and that seems to be the consensus.

There's a ton of good info here on this link: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

Chakara, if you are reading this post, there's also a lot of good fodder for your RV 12V write-up.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #23

On my 365BHS the bottom of the battery compartment is wide open to the ground for ventilation. The entire compartment is sealed above with metal and caulk to prevent gases from entering the unit living and storage spaces. I have seen some that are plastic with a vent on the door in some older and smaller models. Some batteries are side by side, some above one another.

Every unit is going to have different layouts and storage spaces for each. My layout is two shelves, one above the other which I have a battery GC2 6V on each shelf within a plastic tray and strappped. They are in series to create 12V. I also liquid nailed a piece of 1/4 luan to the underside of my lower shelf due to the posts being so high to prevent arching should I hit a major bump. There are also some wood shims on the sides to keep it from sliding around since the trays are designed to take up to a group 27 battery.

Maybe you can find a forum member with your unit to post some pics or decribe the layout to you. I would wait and measure before buying anything.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Your point about the battery compartment is very valid, TuSocks. I think that's one of the reasons some folks use AGM batteries vs. wet cells. From what I understand, it cures the venting problem. I'm no battery expert but I've been reading a lot and that seems to be the consensus.

There's a ton of good info here on this link: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

Chakara, if you are reading this post, there's also a lot of good fodder for your RV 12V write-up.
Thanks again for the info---
AGMs would be ideal were it not for their cost
Appreciate the above link to ..."dreams...". Very useful!
It's very nice to be able to communicate so readily via this forum
Mark
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
On my 365BHS the bottom of the battery compartment is wide open to the ground for ventilation. The entire compartment is sealed above with metal and caulk to prevent gases from entering the unit living and storage spaces. I have seen some that are plastic with a vent on the door in some older and smaller models. Some batteries are side by side, some above one another.

Every unit is going to have different layouts and storage spaces for each. My layout is two shelves, one above the other which I have a battery GC2 6V on each shelf within a plastic tray and strappped. They are in series to create 12V. I also liquid nailed a piece of 1/4 luan to the underside of my lower shelf due to the posts being so high to prevent arching should I hit a major bump. There are also some wood shims on the sides to keep it from sliding around since the trays are designed to take up to a group 27 battery.

Maybe you can find a forum member with your unit to post some pics or decribe the layout to you. I would wait and measure before buying anything.
Sounds like you have a very good installation of the GC-6s. Good advice to wait till our unit arrives-it's just fun to plan. Sure appreciate having suggestions so easily available from forum members. Hope I can offer some of my own in the future.
Mark