Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

Need to know where to get power for camera wireless transmitters

I've already installed my rear back-up camera. I'm going to be installing a side camera on each side of my 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX. They are wired cameras but I'm hooking them into 3 wireless transmitters (see link). (FYI I spent the last hour searching and I might not be using the right terms, but didn't find an answer in the forums yet.)

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...er-rvs-ds.html.

What I would like to know is where to get the power to power the transmitters/cameras? The transmitters have to inside the trailer, the camera gets powered by the transmitter. I was thinking of putting the the transmitters on the shelf above the master bed, or in the front storage compartment. Do the side lights of the trailer power on while the vehicle is being towed or only at night? I thought about tapping into them but I wasn't sure. I know one possibility would be to tap into the 7 Pin harness wires, but where is a good place to tap into that if the side lights aren't an option? Jayco won't tell me anything while it's under its two year warranty. I just don't want to mess anything up.

Another question is would I be overloading things but plugging three transmitters into the same line?

As a last resort I considered tapping into the light wiring above the bed and installing a switch, but I don't want to have to remember to turn the switch on and off every time. Thanks in advance for any advice. Trying to hook everything up this weekend or next weekend.
theguyoverthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

JAYCO pulls power from the tail light/clearance light line. Only down side is you need to drive with parking or headlights on, but it has not been an issue for us.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #3

With four years of experience with MH's that have side cameras, we've concluded that side cameras sound good in theory but are absolutely worthless the way they've been implemented.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

You could pull the fuse panel and then run a circuit from an unused slot. Jayco puts a fuse in every slot, even if not used.

You could also pull power from a marker light. Like said above you need to drive with your headlights on to make them work. Which should not be an issue as most state laws require your headlights to be on if towing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
With four years of experience with MH's that have side cameras, we've concluded that side cameras sound good in theory but are absolutely worthless the way they've been implemented.

Amen!

It's on my to do list to disable the two side cameras.
Worthless is being nice about it.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote