Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

New guy in the neighborhood with water leak

I just got a 2007 23FB Jay Flight that is very clean but was not maintained. I suspect because it was never used. It's my first TT and I'm learning at lot. I'm also a pretty fair carpenter.

Now to my problem. While cleaning out the left front storage area I notice a softness in the front wall. On further investigation I discovered rot from the bottom left corner over to the right about 18" and then up to the bottom of the diamond plate over at the left front. A triangle shape. My plan is to pull the diamond plate and make the repair but I have a couple of question for anyone that has done this or seen it done.

1. Do I need to pull the moulding that seals the front left and right edges, where the side walls meet the front, all the way to the top or can I stop at the top of the diamond plate? This moulding is, of course, where the leak is coming from. Just not certain where.

2. Assuming I pull the moulding all the way to the top, is it glued on by the sealant or are there screws under the center rubber moulding? Can I order this moulding from Jayco or can I remove it carefully and reuse?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upon further investigating I realize the framing is still solid and only the thin plywood has rotted. So why not repair/replace the seal on the corners and then just repair the plywood inside the storage area. Does that sound good?

Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

not sure about pulling the molding but I think its reuseable if removed carefully make sure all is 100% dry before re-sealing/closing up. Sounds like you lucked out with it being mainly isolated to the plywood and easly accessable/hidden in the storage area. I'd replaced the plywood and reseal the exterior then go enjoy it!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think there are screws under the vinyl strip in the center. Pull it out of the slot carefully and you should start seeing screws.

Just my guess. I thought I seen it in another post.

I also seen replacement strip sold on Amazon and described as the flexible vinyl that covers screws.

People suggested leaving in the sun for easy installation. Sounds pretty straight forward.

Put one side in and use a flat head to push the other side in if necessary. Maybe able to fold with fingers and insert.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

Thanks Doug you are right there are screws under the vinyl strip but it is the larger part of the moulding that I need to replace or at least re-seal. I'm hoping I can get a new one from Jayco. If not ill have to try reusing the old ones. I want to do both sides.
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #5

You should be able to reuse the aluminum outside edge if you dont bend it to bad when you pull it off, the key here is to remove it slowly,it has a putty tape under it.also check the horizontal mold on top of the diamond plate,always look above the damage.check all the screws to see that they are tight,if they turn and keep on turning you have damage to the frame.you can also reuse the vinyl molding if it isn't brittle,just remember that it will stretch and then retract,that is why you will usually will find a screw at each end of a run to keep it from moving.If you need to replace it you can get it from any RV supply.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote