Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #41

So its been raining nearly two days straight now. Just found an area on the bunk end that is leaking. Pictured below is the plastic lining that connects the bunk end vinyl to the bunk end. What is the best way to fix this? I'm thinking a small section of EternaBond would work well but be a bit unsightly. If I could get it small enough it would be hard to notice. I found a small section of old water damage about 6" from where the water droplets landed here as well so this has happened before.
Attached Images

brockeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #42

The pic is small and tough to see. Are the bunks out, or folded in with it leaking?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #43

Folded out. The Forum Runner app sucks lol. I'll repost the photo when I get home. Its the plastic 'tube' that is split. Water only comes through the split area.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

You might be able to fill it in with caulking and then wipe it neatly.
The other thing you may think about is buying a replacement seal. It shouldn't set you back to many $$
Probably similar to replacing the seal on the trunk of a car.

Ah,now that you described it, I can pick it out in the picture.

I would probably fill it with silicone caulk and then add your Eternabond tape over that.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #45

I ended up cutting small pieces of eternabond and covering it. That area actually goes straight outside so I did not use any caulking as to keep from getting any on the canvas. I covered a couple other cracked areas as well even though they are not leaking. Might as well catch em before they do.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #46

Just got on the roof and to my surprise found the EternaBond lifting in various areas. I am not really happy. There has to be an issue with the roll that I received. Looks like I will have to peel all of this up. The only place it seems to be sticking well is to itself o_O I even put some on my step ladder and was able to peel it right off. Not good news.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Contact EternaBond directly, because I do know that a couple years ago they did have a bad run. There should be some manufacture run date info on the roll of tape.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Yep,
That is not normal.
Did you clean with Acetone prior to applying?
Initally did it seem like it was stuck really good?
When applied, within minutes it should be almost imposible to peel up.
Sounds like contamination or a bad roll.

let us know what you find.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Yep,
That is not normal.
Did you clean with Acetone prior to applying?
Initally did it seem like it was stuck really good?
When applied, within minutes it should be almost imposible to peel up.
Sounds like contamination or a bad roll.

let us know what you find.

Best regards,
Doug
I cleaned it with lacquer thinner prior to putting it down. It seemed like it was stuck well, but it obviously wasn't. I am going to get up there in a couple days when it is dry around here again and use a heat gun to try to get it tacky and roll it again. Hopefully its a fluke, I do not have time to do things twice.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

The laquer thinner may be your problem.
I found this on a auto painting forum.
"Your problem is the lacquer thinner you are using! Lacquer thinner will leave a film on the surface.
You NEVER EVER use lacquer thinner to clean with"

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/vi...hp?f=5&t=16633

I would recommend going to Home Depot and getting a pint of Acetone. I used it on my roof and it will not harm it. Just know it's very flamable like most solvents.
I believe this is what the directions recommend.
Acetone is what labs use to clean thier glassware (at least years ago). It leaves no residue.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I've used lacquer thinner for EternaBond surface prep on a number of occasions, then use a damp cloth (water) as a final surface wipe before applying the EternaBond tape, never a problem. With the recommended cleaner(s) you want to wipe it off immediately so it doesn't soak into the roofing material.

EternaBond;

"Cleaning Recommendations for Eternabond Products:

For EPDM and metal use Eternaclean, or clean with a clean rag and a "hot" (fast evaporating) solvent like - lacquer thinner, acetone, automotive brake parts cleaner, or a commercial EPDM cleaner, or a good, non-residue cleaner."

http://www.bestmaterials.com/Eternab...abond-Products

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #52

That was what I read everywhere as well. We use lacquer thinner to wipe down metals before welding quite often and never had an issue. I have used lacquer thinner for similar uses in the past and never had an issue. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but I cannot imagine that the lacquer thinner is the culprit.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with you guys, just a theory.
I just tried to search cleaning with Laquer and found this post on having trouble with paint chipping after cleaning with Laquer.
Thought it was worth sharing.
Everyone has such good results with Eternabond, hate that you experienced some trouble.

Please keep us informed of any definitive learnings so we can all avoid/understand.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I checked into the "bad batch" history at RV.NET and it was around 2009 that a number of folks had some problems with the tape not holding, but Eternabond replaced all tape without issue and confirmed it was a bad run.

I would contact them, at least in 2009/2010 they stood behind the product.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #55

Should I be worried about water up underneath the EternaBond now after all the rain? I re-covered the entire seam with Dicor prior to EternaBond so I would think it will be just fine and not a pressing issue that I need to take care of ASAP, but want to be sure.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

I would think the Dicor will keep you in good shape.
The Eternabond was acting as a 2nd layer of defense.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #57

Picked up some Sikasil GP at Camping World today. Cleaned up a few seams and recaulked them. To my surprise, I grabbed clear instead of white. I was not super excited about that, but by the time I knew I had already pulled some of the seals so in a couple years when it is time to do it again I will fix it. I also went around the good caulk on the bunk ends with it as being clear it will not look bad over existing caulk and will give a little extra protection. One thing I am unsure about is if you should use an edger around the caulk (such as the perfect caulk kit) or if you should just run a bead and let it go. Some of the areas I left without cleaning them up with it and some of the larger beads I ran it across to pull out any high spots. I will look at it again in the daylight tomorrow and see how it looks. I felt like I should have left it alone but it was really difficult to see as it is clear. I figure if it sucks I will peel it and do it again, not really a big deal. I also ran a bead around the front to side wall seams where there was not really any external caulking outside of the corner trim pieces. I am thinking I may grab some 2" white Eternabond and cover the main wall seams with it, just not sure if it will be aesthetically bad.

I also found a small pin hole in the back of the roof rubber. I think I will just clean up the area and put a small piece of Eternabond there as I do not have any Dicor right now and I want it taken care of ASAP.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #58

Dented the bumper on my Tundra pretty good with that toolbox so it came off this weekend. I will miss the extra space, but I won't miss the **** near jack knifing every time I take a turn.