Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

New Water Pump Install Help

Good evening. I'm in the process of installing a new from scratch water pump in my Popup. This is an 04 Qwest 10B. I'm having trouble deciding where to mount the pump. I've attached some pictures below. In the cabinet that's the most convenient to put it, which is where my water jug sits, should I mount it directly to the floor? Or can I mount it on the thin particle board that my water jug sits on? There's a picture to help with thickness of that board. The more open, but inconvenient place is in the bench box by the wheel well. Which location will be best?

The pump is a Shurflo 4008. I wired in a switch to shut it off when we're not doing dishes, so that it doesn't stay running. I'm not too particular about noise, but that's what I'm worried about if I were to mount to the thin peice of board that the water tank sits on. Maybe my best location is under the board that holds the water tank? Or Maybe in the compartments just to the left of the ones I'm showing right on the ground?

According to my manual, I can also mount in any orientation. Was thinking of maybe even mounting to the underside or backside of my sink counter. It flips over for storage, but basically the pump would be installed upside-down or on edge.
Attached Thumbnails
20170805_181058.jpg   20170805_181129.jpg   20170805_181133.jpg   20170805_181154.jpg  
bjlasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

I would think that mounting it on the thin wood would result in really loud pump operating noise as the thin wood will act as a sound board and amplify the noise. A ticker mounting surface is ideal.

I believe the Shurflo 4008 comes with and integral pressure switch which will turn off the pump when the pressure reaches the set point.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Mount it the way it works for you so you can easy service the pump.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I would think that mounting it on the thin wood would result in really loud pump operating noise as the thin wood will act as a sound board and amplify the noise. A ticker mounting surface is ideal.

I believe the Shurflo 4008 comes with and integral pressure switch which will turn off the pump when the pressure reaches the set point.
Thanks, and yeah, that's what I thought. My favorite spot is the first picture, but I'm not familiar with these small pumps. Wasn't sure if installing it there, then putting that thin board over it would cause heat ventilation issues. As for the switch, yes, it does have a pressure switch, but I want a manual shutoff for when we go away for the day. I'd hate to spring a leak and have it pump all day.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

So I had to pull the grill off the back of my fridge. What type of sealant should I use to re-attach it? Something that I can get at walmart or is it special order? Also, what type of spray foam is used around the back of the fridge to seal off that cabinet? I had to pull some of that out to drill a couple holes.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #6

Also, what type of fitting would I need for a new barb to my water tank? I've attached a picture of the opening I need to caulk shut, and also of the old fittings from my pump. This barb seems to be only 1/4", and I upgraded all my hose to 1/2" The port on my water tank seems that the opening is only 1/2", so it might be hard to put a 1/2" barb on it. Should I find something and just drill a hole in the larger water tank cap?

My shurflo pump recommends a minimum of 1/2" line, which is why I've gone with that.
Attached Thumbnails
20170806_130359.jpg   20170806_153450.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #7

Ok, so I'm slightly confused in the plumbing department. I purchase a faucet which has 1/2" compression fitting. I also have an extra fitting from my shurflo pump. That fitting is an 1/2" FPT. According to the info, the pump has 1/2"-14 NPSM-Male. Based on what little I know, the FPT should not be compatible with NPSM. Is this true?

Second part of my question, the extra fitting I have, 1/2" FPT threads perfectly onto the 1/2" shank on the faucet. Will this work or is there something more I need? I'm a copper soldering type of DIY plumber, so when it comes to fittings, I get lost quickly.

2004 Jayco Qwest 10B
Battery Package Upgrade
LED Lighting Upgrade
Water Pump Upgrade