Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

No television reception

Hi all,
I have a 2012 Swift 184BH that has the crank-up TV antenna with signal booster but I can't get any reception with this TV http://www.amazon.com/NTD-1552-16-In...8998030&sr=1-1
I'm a novice so forgive my ignorance but all I'm doing is plugging the TV in using the DC 12-volt cord, raising the antenna, pushing in the signal booster button and doing a channel search in "air" mode on the TV(as apposed to "cable" mode, but I tried both)
I bought a coaxial cable to connect the TV to the wall but haven't tried that yet. Is that my problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Team

You are kidding right? Yes, connect the tv to the signal booster with the coax.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

No unfortunately I wasn't. I wasn't sure if there was power going from the 12 volt outlet to the signal booster. Brain fart I guess. Sorry I'm such an idiot Norty
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Lol. You need to connect the coax.

You might also look into purchasing the "wingman" attacent for your antennae. It takes about a minute to install, no tools required and it picks up even more stations.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

X2 on the wingman.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
No unfortunately I wasn't. I wasn't sure if there was power going from the 12 volt outlet to the signal booster. Brain fart I guess. Sorry I'm such an idiot Norty
I hope I did not infer that! Glad you got it going. The first time is always the learning experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

Don't feel bad russell, first time I tried it, I forgot the booster, got no channels. Father in law reminded me I had a booster, picked up 20 channels over the air. Some audio only, but that is better than my plasma screen at home can pull in with its tuner. just another noob mistake. We are gonna make some, everybody does. Enjoy the trailer.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuduke View Post
Don't feel bad russell, first time I tried it, I forgot the booster, got no channels. Father in law reminded me I had a booster, picked up 20 channels over the air. Some audio only, but that is better than my plasma screen at home can pull in with its tuner. just another noob mistake. We are gonna make some, everybody does. Enjoy the trailer.
Forgetting to turn on the booster is a common mistake among new RV owners. It simply will not pick up any channels without the booster on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #9

Russell - You will be amazed of the digital HDTV signals you are getting. We get 6-36 digital HDTV signals just about anywhere we go here on the East side of the US. I think the stations are more spread out on west side of the US..

Our TV is a Vizio HDTV and after we scan in the digital stations it jumps to life with FULL BLOWN HIGH DEF HDTV "full screen" high quality TV reception. You dont get this quality with the cable TV at the camp sites.

Even when we are at camp sites with cable we always tune in the digital stations from the local towns using the batwing OTA antenna and watch the local station is FULL HDTV mode. Then switch back to cable to watch the CNN and movie channels there.

It was so good for us getting the new NATL BROADCAST Digital TV we stopped bringing along our SAT RCVR as it was a pian in the neck picking up SAT channels. Now we watch all of the LOCAL Channels using OTA. If we are camping into the woods and really want towatch a CABLE CHANNEL we can get it usually just fine using the internet.

The trick I learned with my VIZIO (this may be different for you) but when I start scanning in digital TV signals if I dont see any stations popping up on the digital counter within the first 15% of scanning I stop the scanning and move the antenna a few degrees in either direction. On my TV the lwo numbered CBS-ABC-NBC-FOX station are on the bottom end with the PBS stations on the high numbered end. My VIZIO takes 6-10 minutes to make a full scan so starting over again at a different pointing location of the batwing antenna helps me not to have to wait so long for the scan to fisnh only to start it all over again.

Having the UHF add-on to the batwing antenna sure helped us with more stations.

Not bad watching full screen high def CBS NCIS digital TV when way back in the woods.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #10

Roy, that's good advise about stopping at the 15 percent and starting over again. One thing I do is check out the neighbors antennae. If most are facing one direction I copy that.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #11

Russell, I see that your TV has two way power. I don't think I have seen that before. I can see why you might think a cable may not be needed. Does the instructions tell you how much of a draw on the battery the tv would use?
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

In my Jayco Eagle Super Lite 5th wheel I don't see a booster for the over the air antenna. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
RedRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Russell, I see that your TV has two way power. I don't think I have seen that before. I can see why you might think a cable may not be needed. Does the instructions tell you how much of a draw on the battery the tv would use?
The box says Max 25W

...And an update on reception...
Now that I plugged the darn coax in I get good reception. Analog channels are poor, I don't get them very often but the digital ones are fantastic... the picture quality is amazing.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRose View Post
In my Jayco Eagle Super Lite 5th wheel I don't see a booster for the over the air antenna. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
If your's is like mine, the booster is turned on by pushing a little black button near where the antenna cable for the TV is attached; there should be a small green led light that is on when the booster is on.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #15

Here is perhaps a little help .... Go to www.antennaweb.com on the internet, put in the address of the campground locatons (you don't have to be exact) it will tell you the local channels, the distance and the compas heading for the transmitters... If you don't have the interneet on the road or a smart phone you could always do it before you leave for a specific location your headed ... it's a great tool..

We just purchased a 2013 26RKS and hope to get it in 6 weeks.. I'm sure I will make some of the same mistakes as we start out.. but hopefully my tip on Antennaweb.com might be of some help down the road..

And on that note.. rather than gooing for the technology package I am going to pick up a 26" TV for the Bedroom and either a 26 or larger for the front room... lots of choices .. now the fun begins as we ready for our unit to get here... By the Way, we are in Tennessee
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #16

Not sure if you got your problem resolved but I was having the same issue and I did have the booster on. So I statred checking connections. Of course it was the last one I checked. I pulled the booster out of the wall and found a loose connection on the back plate of the booster. Scanned in 15 channels here in the middle of no where...lol
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Here is perhaps a little help .... Go to www.antennaweb.com on the internet, put in the address of the campground locatons (you don't have to be exact) it will tell you the local channels, the distance and the compas heading for the transmitters... If you don't have the interneet on the road or a smart phone you could always do it before you leave for a specific location your headed ... it's a great tool..

We just purchased a 2013 26RKS and hope to get it in 6 weeks.. I'm sure I will make some of the same mistakes as we start out.. but hopefully my tip on Antennaweb.com might be of some help down the road..

And on that note.. rather than gooing for the technology package I am going to pick up a 26" TV for the Bedroom and either a 26 or larger for the front room... lots of choices .. now the fun begins as we ready for our unit to get here... By the Way, we are in Tennessee
Actually i believe the site you are referring to is http://antennaweb.org/