Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Onan 8000 QD generator problem

The fuel pump won't shut off and the engine will not turn over. It sounds like it keeps priming. The manual troubleshooting section says it could be a bad ground or faulty stop switch. What do you guys think?
Capt. Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Try cleaning the positive and negative battery connections at the generator and check the incoming battery voltage. Also try holding the Prime (Stop position) switch for at least one minute, and toggle switch to view any fault codes.
Are there any fault codes?

It sounds like the worst case scenario with those symptoms if a failed controller board (expensive ~$2500).
However some have suggested "resetting it" by removing all incoming power for 15 minutes?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Is the Prime/Start switch stuck or broken so it's always in the Prime position? Can you hear the switch change position?
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

The voltage is 13 volts at the generator chassis and 13 volts at the starter. I jumped the starter at the solenoid and it only spun it did not engage. I removed the fuel outlet fitting at the fuel filter and when the start button is pushed it pumps quite well. I disconnected the positive lead at the generator chassis but the control box is still energized. Help!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Since you responded with more symptoms I see that it can't be the switch.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

The start button does click when applied.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

What's the voltage at the solenoid with the starter engaged? Bad ground, bad connection in the 12VDC wiring, bad battery that draws down under load?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Onan 8000 QD generator problem

The generator will not turn over. The fuel pump keeps pumping and when you push start the pump keeps pumping with no starter action. There is 13.1 volts showing on the display,13 volts on the generator chassis and 13 volts at the starter. I jumped the starter solenoid and the starter just spun but would not engage. I removed the out hose on the filter and it is pumping quite well. Any thoughts? The trouble shooting section of the owner's manual said ground wire or faulty stop switch. Is the stop switch the solenoid air cut off for the engine? Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #9

I am not up to date so to speak on that generator but a friend had one similar I remember once he had a problem like that, I remember a square cover about 4 x 4 inches with four screws next to prime switch under that were two fuses, he replace one and it cranked and started
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Thanks All for the suggestions. The generator is running and I am a bit of a moron. I live in Florida and the Jayco is now on a road trip in Wisconsin, my homeland. I was not holding the start button down long enough. It took 14 second hold time for the genny to heat and start. Think and learn!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Glad to hear you got it and thanks for the follow up.
We have the same generator in our motorhome.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote