Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Outside TV problem and fix

Discovered a problem on my 2014 Seneca TS when I was attempting to improve viewing on my outside TV. Jayco mounted the TV flat inside the compartment, but that makes for a less-than perfect viewing angle. So I decided to see what I could do to fix.

Removed plate that TV mounted to and disconnected connections. The power plug was a challenge, mounted WAY inside the hole. But I got it unplugged. Decided just to add spacers (with longer screws) to the top mounting holes to "tip" the top of the TV down. Sounded easy enough. Trouble was whomever mounted the TV at Jayco got lazy. They only used three of the proper metric threaded screws into the back of the TV, must have lost the 4th. Rather than track another down, they ran a regular wood/sheet metal screw into the TV. In doing so they broke off the little receiving nut inside the TV. Well to tip the TV I knew I had to have two solid top mounts. So off came the back of the TV where I found the disconnected nut (stripped out too of course) laying in the bottom of the case. Fortunately the nuts to secure the TV are mounted on removable plates inside, I took the one side off and was able to braze a new nut on the plate. Put TV back together, mounted the spacers on the mounting plate, and reinstalled TV/plate back into outside compartment. Tip is just right and door closes without hitting top of TV.

Also discovered TV was never hooked up so audio from TV could be broadcast through the outside Sony DVD player stereo. TV sound only came from the wimpy TV speakers. However the Sony did have rear AUX inputs, and the TV does have Audio out. A 2' RCA patch cable and now the TV sound plays through the stereo. Why didn't they think of that?

Works great now. Very nice viewing angle and much better TV sound. Thank goodness the tech didn't use a longer screw, or he would have hit the back of the display panel! Probably would have left it that way too.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote