Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Thumbs up Paint fading on front cap

I noticed this morning that the paint on the top of the front cap of my 2013 Eagle Premier 321 RLTS was fading badly. It appeared that the fading was working its way down the front of the fifth wheel.

I called my dealer and they told me that Jayco was aware of the problem and that Jayco would take care of it under warranty. Apparently, the paint used on those units did not contain UV protection.

Just thought I would let other owners know about this problem so that they could get their unit fixed before the warranty expires.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #2

I ordered a new Eagle, and before I did I was asking/wondering about this. But I love the FP so much we decided to hope for the best. Let me know how it works out and Jayco handles it. I have a feeling I'm going to be in the same boat. I'm now trying to decide if I should keep it covered and try to protect it from doing this or if I should let it sit out and hope it does it so that Jayco will repaint it later, hopefully with a better product.

I will say that this is not unique to Jayco. My current Keystone is doing I'd badly and I've seen many other brands doing it. I guess with the new front dark caps, it's highly probable.

Out of curiosity, how long have you had your trailer and do you cover it?
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

I picked it up from the dealer in mid February 2013. It sits outside all the time and is not covered. I have no idea when the fading began. I just noticed it yesterday.

According to my dealer, the new paint job that Jayco will provide will contain UV protection and prohibit the fading that is taking place now. If manufacturers can prevent this fading on automobiles, I don't see why they can't do the same thing on an RV.

I am not going to take it to the dealer to be repainted until after the camping season here in Illinois ends around the end of October. That way, the dealership can keep it as long as they need it to get it repainted and I will not be missing any camping.

By the way, my dealer is Kuhl's Trailer Sales in Ingraham, Illinois. They are a small dealership, selling only Jayco trailers, no motor homes. Really great people to deal with. I am so happy with them, I thought I would give them a small plug here on the JOF. ��

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #4

It's good to hear that your dealer is taking care of you. Our 351 is having the same issue and I need to follow the same route.
Good RV dealerships are worth their weight in 5th wheels.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
I will say that this is not unique to Jayco. My current Keystone is doing I'd badly and I've seen many other brands doing it. I guess with the new front dark caps, it's highly probable.
Definitely not unique to Jayco. My neighbor has a Montana 5er he just got back from the shop for the fading front cap. Repaired under warranty, IIRC, it took them a little over a month...? I dunno, but it looks nice now. He asked them NOT to replace the decals, so it looks a little weird, but not bad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

I have a 2013 Eagle Premier 321RLTS where the front cap is fading. We just noticed this. We have had this unit for a year. Another call to Jayco.
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

well the front caps are gelcoated not painted ... gelcoat tends to fade pretty quickly if not waxed all the time ... the paint will be a lot better for uv protection mine will probably need it too as it also has the dark brown gelcoat I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there
Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

The fading of the dark brown front cap has been a big problem for Jayco. I ordered a 2015 Eagle and when it came into the dealer the cap was not dark brown, but rather a light tan/beige. The dealer told me Jayco changed the color to avoid so many warranty paint jobs.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #9

We have a 2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS with a faded front cap. I spoke to our dealer and he said it is not a problem getting the cap repainted. A bit inconvenient but will be fixed. The dealer said in the last year they had 3 units needing cap painting. I knew of this issue before I purchased the RV and hoped ours would not develop the problem. We liked the RV enough that it did not detour our decision.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Reporting your GelCoat issue to Jayco

If your front cap is oxidizing, you need to notify Jayco immediately (service@jayco.com, so that you have documented the issue with them. Include your Contact information, clear pictures and you VIN. I was one of the first ones that had their cap serviced under the Jayco warranty. The caps are not painted, they used a gel coat, which can not be painted over so they need to sand down the gel coat to the fiberglass and prep that for a paint job. Paint does not adhere to gel coat over time.

Jayco will ask you how you maintained the cap.. mine was washed and waxed about 3 time in year one so they were happy. I told them that the oxidation would not come off.

After you report your issue to Jayco, they will tell you to take it to an AUTHORIZED Jayco service center (that does body work) and they will confirm it and they will contact Jayco with the status. Jayco will contact them with the authorization to do the work on the cap.

Jayco will notify you and the service center will contact you to set up an appointment.

The sooner you care for this the better.

We opted to have the cap repainted to the SAME color as the side of the TT. Best thing we did. The dark cap reached temperatures above 200 degrees in the sun, where as the lighter cap has maxed out at 119 degrees in the sun.. making it a lot cooler on the inside.

Jayco said that they would do the work but not warranty the paint as it was not the SAME DARK COLOR, no problem the Jayco dealer service center warrantied the paint for 5 years. 3 more than Jayco.

Here is a link to what the cap looks like now:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...ing-17277.html
Scroll down through the posts.

One last item, the decals on the sides of the cap (on the EAGLE 284BHS) are NOT included in the cap decal package, but are part of the side decal package.. so both need to be ordered when the work is done.

No cost for the re-painting except time and gas.

Good Luck,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #11

Good to know information ... thanks..but i do not agree with the paint not adhering to gelcoat if properly prepared... i sanded my boat gelcoat down over 12 years ago and refinished it with imron and it never flaked or peeled ... cutting through the gelcoat opens up a whole can of worms because the hand laid glass in behind it tends to be full of pinholes and pits... if anything i would say it should be sanded with 220 or 320 and then epoxy primed prior to refinish. Working with new press molded fiberglass parts that are gelcoated on corvettes all the time is what i speak from experience on . As per their instructions you should maintain a minimum of 20 mils film thickness of gelcoat under primer for maximum holdout of the refinished surface .. just my 2 cents
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Good to know information ... thanks..but i do not agree with the paint not adhering to gelcoat if properly prepared... i sanded my boat gelcoat down over 12 years ago and refinished it with imron and it never flaked or peeled ... cutting through the gelcoat opens up a whole can of worms because the hand laid glass in behind it tends to be full of pinholes and pits... if anything i would say it should be sanded with 220 or 320 and then epoxy primed prior to refinish. Working with new press molded fiberglass parts that are gelcoated on corvettes all the time is what i speak from experience on . As per their instructions you should maintain a minimum of 20 mils film thickness of gelcoat under primer for maximum holdout of the refinished surface .. just my 2 cents
I am not a painter nor will I ever be one, but when this oxidizing issue started on my EAGLE (within the first 3 months) I contacted 3 professional body restoration places that deal with gel coats and they all had the same thing to say.. once the oxidation process starts you need to remove the gel coat, prep the fiberglass and then paint.

Interestingly enough, a few of them also said that the Clear Coat when used by the RV industry is not the top of the line clear coat, and what happened to my TT is an example of what happens when they opt for the cheaper clear coat. True or false, I have no clue.

When I contacted the JAYCO service center that did the work on our TT, I did not mention a word and they also do the same process. I have no clue as to what is the correct or wrong method, but in my investigation that is what I found. So, at the time, since they all use the same process, I figured that that is what has to be done to assure a quality finish that will last.

When I initially contacted Jayco, they also said the gel coat needed to be removed.

I guess time will tell, but I am VERY happy with the results, and the MUCH lighter and COOLER front cap.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #13

well I don't know how they arrived at the procedure but I do know what all the manufacturers of the parts I buy have as their procedure ..I try to remain as up to date as possible on any new thing to make my job hold out better and I have as yet to find anything as hard as gel coat as a beginning surface.. the caps on these from what I see have no clear coat on them but as in most parts laid up in a mold are gel coat first then the glass is laid inside of that and the gel coat is sealed off from air with the glass. they are basically laid from the outside in. Unless you buy a tt or 5th wheel with full body paint then over time they will begin to oxidize due to the uv rays. I am just glad they got your done and it looks great.. with me if it happens I will have to have a long talk with the repair facility before they begin work lol
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1549.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply. My FW is only 6 months into the warranty period. I contacted Jayco and they gave me the name of a couple authorized repair dealers in my area. Neither of them sell Jayco. I know the gel coat needs to be removed before a paint is applied. My plan is to contact the paint shop and have the same color applied but I will spring for the best clear coat available and extra coats as needed. I had a fiberglass car that was black and a few boats with no fade problems so I am sure it can be done. A FL or AZ environment for a lot of years maybe a problem.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote