Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Originally Posted by brockeverly View Post
Aside from losing plants, the freeze brought me another headache. We do not winterize out here because winter is like summer for some of you. We had four straight days of below freezing temps this week, and with a newborn I was not thinking about the TT. Thought of it this evening and no surprise found damage. Seems to be isolated to the kitchen sink faucet which has around a 1" slit in the metal faucet section. The bathroom faucet sprayed all over at first, but the aerator was halfway off so that was an easy fix. Looked through the cupboards at the pipes both with water running and water off and there did not seem to be any damage going to the bathroom, and the water I found under the kitchen sink area all appears to be water that ran down from the faucet leak. I cleaned up the water that I could get to under there which seems to be most and plan on going back out to the storage yard in the morning to check again. Is there anything else I should look for? When I shut off the water in the trailer I always turn the faucets on until the stop dripping so that may have saved all my lines, but the faucet having an 8" rise on it kept some water in there and that seems to be what killed it. I really hope that nothing else went bad
When I purchased my used trailer last year it had never been winterized either since it was always somewhere warm until its last year before I owned it. I bought it after it, had 1 year in the North West Winter. Same as you, it was the split faucet that grabbed my attention ( the water had been drained from the system prior to storage ). I replaced the faucet, and one of the next things I found when I started testing the systems was a mysterious puddle at the front storage compartment of the TT. I tried tracing it back to where ever it came from with no results. So I removed the fresh water tank to check if it was damaged ( the water was coming from underneath ). Then with the tank removed I was able to find the leak back at the pump. Just a small leak, but since the pump is right up against the tank I couldn't see it, until it formed a puddle at the storage compartment. I replaced the pump myself and luckily since the trailer was new to me and I was checking all the systems, I noticed the leak right away, averting disaster.

3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Fixed the faucets and last night we almost hit freezing temps again. Tonight is supposed to be the same so I have the pump off and all faucets open to let any water run out. Climate change, I moved here to avoid crap like this.

brockeverly is offline   Reply With Quote