Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #1

plastic water

O.K. i give up. i would not look good with my mouth wrapped around the water spigot at the camp ground. so how can i get rid of the plastic tasting water that is comming out from the water hose. this is a regular white potable hose i use to fill the holding tanks. and sometime the water from the faucets in the TT has a plastic taste to it i tried to sanitize the hose with a bottle of sanitizer. its o.k for shower and dishes but drinking......NOT. it just ruins that morning coffee.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

I never drink from the tap in the RV.. I carry 2 five gallon jugs of drinking water...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #3

I too never consume water from the fresh water tank. Just a personal preference for us. Just never got into the habit of doing it...

I have to bring bottled water for my fresh ground bean coffee maker anyway. That is the only way I found to make the coffee taste the same no matter where you go. We only use our fresh water tank for washing dishes and showers and flushing the pot.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

I have a dual stage filter on my seasonal site setup. The water is brown here at times so I have a sediment filter that feeds into a carbon filter to remove chlorine. I bought both filters at Lowe's for about $40 for the filters and the fittings. Replacement cartridges are about $5/each. I used the carbon filter only when in Texas last winter but since I made a two stage filter out of it for the seasonal site I am just going to get another one for the winter trip. I do keep chlorinated water in the fresh water tank for those times when I forget to turn the city water back on or if the water goes out for a day or two.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Maybe I am just to regular tap water, but we always drink from the HTT faucet.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

We drink ours as well (and we also have a 2 stage filter setup from a popular rv filter online shop)...but we do not drink from our tank.
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

We never drink or use the water in the camper tank for cooking. It sits for days or longer in that plastic tank. We use bottle water.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #8

We never drink from our tank water either. Now are you getting a plastic taste and odor from the hose if so it is not food grade hose.. You need a food grade hose and keep it out of the direct sunlight. Mine runs under the rig from the spigot to the tt. I actually enjoy the water at our campground it is fresh and refreshing even coming through the tt... Check the hose 99% of the time that is the problem....
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
O.K. i give up. i would not look good with my mouth wrapped around the water spigot at the camp ground. so how can i get rid of the plastic tasting water that is comming out from the water hose. this is a regular white potable hose i use to fill the holding tanks. and sometime the water from the faucets in the TT has a plastic taste to it i tried to sanitize the hose with a bottle of sanitizer. its o.k for shower and dishes but drinking......NOT. it just ruins that morning coffee.
Walmart sells an rv filture that attaches to your white hose. Then to your trailer. You can also buy a "down" type adapter so that in adition to this you can have it right where your hose enters the trailer.

I also ad a Brita tap filture on my tap in the kitchen sink. Both items run for about $20 each in the USA.
i will post a picture of one.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #10

Hmm.. never had an issue with ours. I wonder though - I keep the fresh-water tank full when the trailer is in storage, except in the winter. If we're boondocking, the water comes with us (drained/freshly filled) - if we're camping with service, I drain the tank, but refill it when we get home. Granted, I don't have the high temps you may, but the water seems fresh enough. Any thoughts on if its consistently "moist" (full) and therefore the plastic tank isn't drying out and start flaking into your drinking water? I dunno...just thinking out-loud (which normally gets me in more trouble then I can handle.....). We've got some pretty awesome tasting city water here..so I could be way-off-base. :hihi:

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #11

This is funny! Many folks have stated that it's unsafe to drink the water from a regular run of the mill garden hose because it's not FDA approved. All I have to say is the water from my "FDA approved" special marine and RV fresh water hookup hose tastes like cooling water from an injection molding machine and the water from my dirty old garden hose that I have been dragging around my yard for the last 15 years tastes better than bottled water.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #12

I have had several white RV hoses and some have a plastic taste and others have no oder or taste I cant tell you off hand who makes the two hoses I am using right now but they are good hoses with no taste at all and yes I use a in line filter wether I am hooked up to city water or if I fill my tank.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #13

Cheap white hose from China usually has taste and longevity issues. I try and find made in USA hoses.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote