Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

Plugged Grey Tank

I just dealt with a grey tank that would not drain. Not even a dribble. I was afraid that the gate had come off the rod but I could reach in with a hanger and confirm it was opening and closing. So I went to CW and purchased a Valtera flush king that allowed me to force water upstream. It took a few try's but whatever was causing the clog was dislodged and tank is emptying again. I usually stay with full hookups and leave the grey gate open. Now I am thinking this may cause some solids and soap scum etc to congeal. Anyone have experience with this issue?
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

could have been a rodents nest. Do you have a clear elbow at the valve so you can see what comes out?

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Another possibility I have heard more than once is a piece of plastic accidentally dropped into the tank during assembly. They frequently use a hole saw to make a spot for a drain or vent, then cement things together. If the cutout falls into the tank it can cause intermittent blockage as you described.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Another possibility I have heard more than once is a piece of plastic accidentally dropped into the tank during assembly. They frequently use a hole saw to make a spot for a drain or vent, then cement things together. If the cutout falls into the tank it can cause intermittent blockage as you described.
This happened to me.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I agree with Robbbyr, heard of this a few times.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

To definitively find out, if you have access to a fiber optic flexible stalk camera you can run it inside the drain outlet to see. I have a Milwaukee I got at Home Depot. I have disposible clear plastic sleeves to keep the camera clean. Perhaps a tool-crazy friend has one!

You may have to remove the gray tank valve to get the camera into the tank depending on how long the drain pipes are. Now if you find a plug, getting it out might be a whole other discussion!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Try this:
NorthStar Sewer and Drain Cleaning Hose — 3000 PSI, 60ft. x 3/8in., Model# WS410584 | Pressure Washer Hoses| Northern Tool + Equipment
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #8

When at a Full hookup site NEVER leave your black or gray valves open..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

Never leave sewer or grey water valves open when hooked up. Your black water tank will never really clear itself (no liquids to really flush) and your grey water is used to flush the sewer line AFTER you drain you black tank. Makes it easier to clean out after you drain both tanks. When the need arises or you are breaking camp, then drain your tanks--black first, close, then grey water. Never have them both open at the same time.

Plus you leave yourself open to being the campground sewer gas source. Fumes can enter your system and vent into your unit and/or out the vent stack.

The only plus to leaving them open full time is to get sewer gas fumes so no one wants to camp near you.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

If at a site for a week you can leave your grey open but close it a couple days before breaking camp as others mentioned to build up water to flush out the black after dumping. I agree you don't want to leave your black open even if you have a black tank flush. You really want to dump it when it is full not as it is being filled. The grey is less important other than building up some volume when when breaking camp. If you don't go through much water then that may mean it takes a week to build up the grey tank. For weekend trips we just leave everything closed. Though we also probably are not at a full hook up site with sewer either and just use the dump station on the way out.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
I just dealt with a grey tank that would not drain. Not even a dribble. I was afraid that the gate had come off the rod but I could reach in with a hanger and confirm it was opening and closing. So I went to CW and purchased a Valtera flush king that allowed me to force water upstream. It took a few try's but whatever was causing the clog was dislodged and tank is emptying again. I usually stay with full hookups and leave the grey gate open. Now I am thinking this may cause some solids and soap scum etc to congeal. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Like others have said, you got bad advice from someone. Keep your valves closed until ready to dump..... On a seasonal or longer term sight, keep it closed and once a week or what ever based on your usage habits, dump the black tank first and then flush it all with the grey tank. Absolutely no reason to keep the grey open and plan on closing it a day or 2 before packing up.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Seann45 X 2 !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Keep the tanks closed. Gasses, and if it rains, and the campgrounds septic is full, and prone to large puddles, you could get some over flow backing into the slinky. Ive seen it happen

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote