Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Plugging RV directly into inverter?

I dont do much boondocking, but might do some this year. I wont have much need for 120 volt, but might want to watch the TV, which takes about 90 watts. I can easily power that with my 400 watt inverter, but I dont want to run an extension cord through the trailer.

So what I was thinking was to kill all the breakers (converter / charger, micro, AC, etc) and only leave on the receptacle breaker. Then plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

As long as I leave all the other breakers off, is there any reason why this would not work?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #2

Yes. That would work. Generator (Inverter) to main power cable to TT works great. When traveling in remote woods, I used this power method a few times. As long as total power usage of trailer's inside items are below generator's max output, you'll be fine. If connecting a generator to your TT, I would recommend a AC usage meter as well. Simple "wall plug in" meter works great. Thus, knowing if one is over using the generator's max output. Note: Some of the better generators have load meters built in (on their display panel). Thus, showing if what one can and cannot turn on (at the same time).

I also recommend a good "surge protection" on the TT's main line as well. Many folks like the TRC Surge Guard ( http://c0386591.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack...-17090-1_1.jpg ) or the Progressive ( http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...re-30-AMP.aspx ). The Progressive brand has Volts usage display and a few other better features.

If your generator (invertor) pumps out LESS then 103 Volts or more than 134 Volts, a good RV Surge Protector disconnects the power flow. To me, Surge Protection with upper/lower shut off limits and generators are a mandatory combination. Once bought, you have both items for life.

Good luck....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

Thanks Spike. I have a PI EMS already and use a generator from time to time. My concern was using an inverter hooked up to the house batteries and then going into the shore cord. I am assuming that as long as the inverter breaker is cut, it will not charge the batteries and create a loop that will quickly run the batteries down.

Just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #4

Oh. Now I understand your situation. I was visioning an Inventory "generator" connected to your TT's main power cord. Not, a 12V to 110/120V Power Invertor connected on your TT's battery - that is then connect to TT's main power cord. My bad.

I suppose one could connect a 12V-110/120V Power Invertor (like: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/115..._220v_230v.jpg ) from TT's battery to the TT's main power cord, and turn off the TT's 110/120V to 12V Convertor (to stop looping). From a diagram view, that can be done. However.... Do keep in mind your Power Invertor would have to be very large - depending on the amount of 110/120V devices you want to power. And, it would probably drain your TT's 12V battery very fast.

Instead of buying a 12V to 110/120V Power Invertor (like: http://image1.dhgate.com/upload/spid...vf587060_0.jpg ), I'd rather spend my money on a super quiet "small" Honda or Yamaha generator (to connect to TT's main power cable) instead. Super quiet and great for little jobs (compared to a huge and very loud 30A generators - to run all items within TT).

Old 03-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #5

After some more thought....

I would simply purchase/install 2 x 10 guage (12V wires) from the rear of the Television Cabinet to the TT's Battery. One would be black wire and other would be red (or white wire). I would then install an inline 30A breaker on the red (white) "+" 12V wire (re: 400 Watts/12 = 33 Amps. 12V - 30A auto reset breaker ( http://www.surplus-electronics-sales...%20Bracket.gif ) will work great. Install your existing 400W Power Invertor behind your Television set. Connect your 110/120V TV to your 400W Power invertor. Installing this 2 x 10 guage wire (re: http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ka/10-2-1.html ) could be an initial PITB but once installed, it's good for life. And, one doesn't have to connect your existing Power Convertor to TT's main power cable (and worry about back looping).

Not too sure how long you can watch TV (before draining the battery too much) but to me, this is a very clean solution.

Hope this helps as well....

Old 03-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #6

If you plugged the shore power cord into the inverter, even if you only used your tv in the AC circuits, the power controller would be adding extra load on the inverter trying to charge the trailer battery. Whenever it's on shore power, the battery charger kicks in. Don't know if the inverter would handle it.

Wait a minute! Maybe you figured out a way to get unlimited perpetual power! Battery power to inverter. Inverter power to trailer power controller. Power controller recharges battery. Repeat the process. :hihi:

Nah, that wouldn't work. Doesn't your trailer have a 12 volt receptacle where you could plug in the inverter?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #7

Oh, you said kill the charger breaker. Never mind. :-) It's the wine talking. :hihi:
Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Yeah the perpetual power would be a neat trick. The tv 12 volt circuit at the tv is only rated at 6 amps so not enough juice there to run the tv.

I do this so little, I don't want to buy anything or run new wire right now. I just want to use my existing inverter I already own, which is 400 watts. That is plenty to run the tv and even a DVD player. I think it will work just fine as long as I kill the inverter breaker, but I guess I will have to just experiment. I will also have my small genny to charge up the battery if needed.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

Maybe call the power control center manufacturer customer service line if in doubt?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

[QUOTE=tafische;13258]Yeah the perpetual power would be a neat trick. The tv 12 volt circuit at the tv is only rated at 6 amps so not enough juice there to run the tv.

Sure there is. I have forgotten the calculations to convert to 110V, but you should easily be able to run your tv and a dvd from that outlet through the inverter.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #11

[QUOTE=altar1;13295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Yeah the perpetual power would be a neat trick. The tv 12 volt circuit at the tv is only rated at 6 amps so not enough juice there to run the tv.

Sure there is. I have forgotten the calculations to convert to 110V, but you should easily be able to run your tv and a dvd from that outlet through the inverter.

Tom
It goes back to ohms law. The TV pulls right around 100 watts

So to get amps it is watts/volts ...so 100 watts / 12.6 volts = 7.9 amps and it only increases as the battery gets weaker -- not enough for 6 amp outlet.

The most you can get out of that outlet is about 75 watts.

REVISIT: ok - you got me thinking, I may have a mistake! I need to go back and revisit the power consumption on that TV. It is a 19" LCD. In my notebook, I have written down the label on the back says it takes 100 watts, but I just looked at a few other LCD TVs and they use far less. It is an el-cheapo so maybe it does...but before I start going to all this trouble, maybe I should verify my facts

Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #12

[QUOTE=tafische;13297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by altar1 View Post

It goes back to ohms law. The TV pulls right around 100 watts

So to get amps it is watts/volts ...so 100 watts / 12.6 volts = 7.9 amps and it only increases as the battery gets weaker -- not enough for 6 amp outlet.

The most you can get out of that outlet is about 75 watts.

REVISIT: ok - you got me thinking, I may have a mistake! I need to go back and revisit the power consumption on that TV. It is a 19" LCD. In my notebook, I have written down the label on the back says it takes 100 watts, but I just looked at a few other LCD TVs and they use far less. It is an el-cheapo so maybe it does...but before I start going to all this trouble, maybe I should verify my facts
I should've also mentioned... I've never heard of a 12v outlet in a trailer only being good for 6 amps. All the ones I've seen are more than that.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #13

yep...it is the receptacle on the Wineguard Amp. Mine says 6...I think the current model goes up to 7.5, but it is not much power.

Sure wish Jayco would put some high power outlets in 2 or 3 places around the camper. It is on my list of projects one day.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #14

Ok - so I wanted to circle back on what I discovered....

So my TV was rated at 50 watts. I was wrong on my original estimate, but it is still high for an LCD, but it is first gen so not unexpected. First I tried to use an inverter on the 12 volt power outlet of the Winegard Amp. I was able to fire up the inverter on the outlet, but still had enough voltage drop that the inverter was wining a little bit - so that option is out.

Second I looked into what it would take to just power the outlets thought an inverter via the shore power cord. Again, my diabolical plan was foiled. It seems that they wired the converter power AND the outlet power to the same breaker, so there is no way to just power the outlets. I did not even attempt to hook this up because I am sure the inverter would not have handled the load.

So - my options at this point are

#1 - Pull out the antenna amp and wire right into the 12 volt source. I have my schematic from Jayco and this circuit only goes to the antenna, radio, and LP detector. It is a 15 amp circuit so I could probably get less voltage drop by going right into the supply wires.

#2 - Just hook the inverter up to the battery and use an extension cord.

#3 - try to run new supply wires behind the TV.

Right now I am going to take the easy route and go #2. I dont do it that often at all, but it was an interesting experiment.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #15

I just installed an inline switch on the black (hot) wire coming from the converter before the circuit breaker. This will allow me to switch off the converter but leave the outlets in the trailer powered. Now I can plug the shore power into an inverter.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhoth View Post
I just installed an inline switch on the black (hot) wire coming from the converter before the circuit breaker. This will allow me to switch off the converter but leave the outlets in the trailer powered. Now I can plug the shore power into an inverter.
That's a great idea, I picked up a brand new Xantrex ProWatt 1750 watt inverter at a swap meet for $60. I've been trying to figure out the best way to wire it in. I have a gen but Glacier National Park has limited gen hours.
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #17

Good idea....I have to get in there and find that wire....Do you have a picture of your setup?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Good idea....I have to get in there and find that wire....Do you have a picture of your setup?
I'll snap a couple pics and post this afternoon. I am very pleased with the way it looks.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #19

here is two pictures I snapped:

Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #20

Thats a great idea. I will have to get in and look at my load center and figure out where the wire enters the converter.