Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Poorly cooling refrigerator

What would cause the refrigerator to not get cool but the freezer does? Does it just take longer? I am trying to precool it before use. Because it is so hot here it is 99 in the trailer. I can't run the ac because I do not have 30 amps. I can turn the propane on tomorrow if that would work better than electric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Fridge can take overnight to start getting cold especially with the temps you're talking about.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

I always use propane when pre chilling the frig before a trip it cools much faster than electric, I then leave in on propane when traveling then switch over to electric once at the campground.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
What would cause the refrigerator to not get cool but the freezer does? Does it just take longer? I am trying to precool it before use. Because it is so hot here it is 99 in the trailer. I can't run the ac because I do not have 30 amps. I can turn the propane on tomorrow if that would work better than electric

High temps inside the trailer will have an impact on the effectiveness of the fridge. We've added reflectix-style covers to all our windows and the shower skylight in an effort to help keep the interior cooler. We've seen that drop the interior temps down at least 10-15 degrees which in turn improves the performance of the fridge. Also, if you don't have a vent fan installed to improve the air flow over the back of the fridge and out the exhaust vent you might consider installing one. If there is too much heat build up around the condenser coils it will reduce the effectiveness as well.

While I haven't tried it, I have read several posts regarding fans inside the fridge to assist in more effectively distributing the air around that sound like they can help out in this situation too.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Fans inside the fridge and also fan(s) behind the fridge drawing air up the chimney will help you.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

make sure it is level.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
I just did not wait long enough. However, I will try the reflectic on the windows and I have a fan in the fridge. I have been afraid to install a fan on the outside in case it would mess up my warranty and I am not good with electricity.

Thanks for all the replies

Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
I just did not wait long enough. However, I will try the reflectic on the windows and I have a fan in the fridge. I have been afraid to install a fan on the outside in case it would mess up my warranty and I am not good with electricity.

Thanks for all the replies

I had a similar concern when I installed my vent fan. My concern with warranty was messing with the existing electrical - I didn't want to try and tie the fan into that and somehow have a problem that would then be an excuse to deny warranty. I ended up threading the wires from the fan into the cupboard under the sink which was right next to the fridge, then out around the edge of the counter to where the 12v accessory outlet was. I connected the wires to a 12v accessory plug and just plug it in the outlet when I am using it. That was pretty easy and simple to do and avoided messing with any of the existing wiring.

Now that my unit is out of warranty I'll find a better place to hook it into the existing electrical system and add an on/off switch.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote