Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Portable Solar Kits

Hi All;

Looking for some opinions on portable solar kits such as the GoPower or Zamp solar. I have a 2016 Eagle 321RSTS using two 6V for house batteries and would like to use solar to keep them topped off. We also have a Honda generator we use when required for heavier loads.

Thanks

Royal Canadian Air Force - Ret
2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
jwmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

I have the GoPower 120 and it does a decent job. Renogy also makes a good portable unit at a better price. I wish I had researched more, I would have gone cheaper as I feel they all work the same. After one season I am ready to install two 100 watt panels on my roof with a good charge controller. In this way anytime there is sun they are charging. When set up at camp I can still supplement with the suitcase panels if needed.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Try searching the site for solar kits, there should be a lot of hits, along with a lot of opinions, but all well worth reading.

Any thoughts about permanently mounting panels on the roof? You can keep expanding the system (until you run out of space). Do not have to worry about securing them like when you have them on the ground around the TT. Do not have to set them up or pack them away when leaving. Sun comes up in the morning and they start charging, no work except the initial setup and checking the setup every now and then.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Good advice! I have seen the Renology kits on the net and will have a closer look at them prior to leaping in.

Thanks

2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Mustang65, ...wonder if you have one sitting in your garage.... :-)

Thats quite the setup you have there, big investment no doubt as well. I would like to get a feel for how much dry camping we will actually do before I jump into solar to that level. In addition I am a little shy about drilling holes in the roof of my brand new RV ....

I will do a search on the site and see what I can come up with.... Was wondering if all the portable kits have plugs that will fit the Eagle prewired outlets???

thanks again for your reply.....

John

2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Team

[QUOTE=jwmercer;365879]Mustang65, ...wonder if you have one sitting in your garage.... :-)

/QUOTE]

This will answer your question regarding the Mustang...

Don
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ida-18959.html
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

From what I understand, and I'm no expert, the packages are going to be adequate at best. I think you'd be better off buying alacart and having something to build on, or has value if you decide to go in a different direction and sell. I don't think the package charge controllers will charge at the proper voltages, won't go high enough.

I'm considering solar on our next rig (ordered it last week). Really thinking that I may start year 1 of the new rig with upgraded batteries (at least 2) and a monitor and see what we use. And at the same time, pay attention to the level of "sunny-nes" in our campsites. Will use my Yamaha 2400 to charge batteries.

Year 2 would be buying panels and a good charge controller and trying the "portable panel route" while my roof still has warranty.

This would set me up for tearing (actually, just drilling holes) into my roof after the warranty is up and installing panels up there. While being the slow boat approach, it would give me a good understanding of what I'm getting into, what the performance can/would be, and what I'll need for a permanent installation.

This is all subject to change of course.....
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Outstanding!

2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
Old 01-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

Prudent approach and outlines my thinking as well. I like the idea of buying a piece at a time with the final objective of building that big rooftop system. My warranty runs for 7 years so will have to get a go ahead from the manufacturer before any hole drilling happens.
J

2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
Old 01-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post

I'm considering solar on our next rig (ordered it last week). Really thinking that I may start year 1 of the new rig with upgraded batteries (at least 2) and a monitor and see what we use. And at the same time, pay attention to the level of "sunny-nes" in our campsites. Will use my Yamaha 2400 to charge batteries.

Year 2 would be buying panels and a good charge controller and trying the "portable panel route" while my roof still has warranty.

This is all subject to change of course.....
This is a very smart way of doing it! It is the same approach for installing SOLAR on a home, you have to know what your current (camping) lifestyle will use to calculate the minimum panels/batteries needed and you can learn how to cut some usage (leaving lights on when not being used or radio on when not listening, Tv on and not watching...) and transition into a SOLAR RV Lifestyle. If planned correctly, you can keep adding until you don't require the use of a generator (or need it as much).

Don
Old 01-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmercer View Post
My warranty runs for 7 years so will have to get a go ahead from the manufacturer before any hole drilling happens.
J
WOW!! Which extended warranty did you get? Our 7 year warranty does not cover anything on the exterior (front cap, roof..).. had to read it 2x

Don
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

jwmercer look up Love your RV and watch his video solar panel install, it will be helpful. I can use my suitcase solar panels on the farm as well as the RV. If not I would definitely just go rooftop.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #13

It's called SAL protection plan, it's pretty much an extension of the two year warranty from Jayco for an additional 5 years. There is a $200 deductible however the nice part is should you not have to use it the entire premium is refunded at the end of the term. There are a few minor limitations ergo I need to check if the roof is covered should I decide to drill holes.
J

2016 Eagle 321 RSTS
2016 F350
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
This is a very smart way of doing it! It is the same approach for installing SOLAR on a home, you have to know what your current (camping) lifestyle will use to calculate the minimum panels/batteries needed and you can learn how to cut some usage (leaving lights on when not being used or radio on when not listening, Tv on and not watching...) and transition into a SOLAR RV Lifestyle. If planned correctly, you can keep adding until you don't require the use of a generator (or need it as much).

Don
After dry camping on 1, then 2 cheap batteries, we have the conserve part down pretty well. If I have two good batteries on this one, I think we'll feel like we are living luxuriously.

Don't mean to hijack, but where are good sites to watch for sales on panels?
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
After dry camping on 1, then 2 cheap batteries, we have the conserve part down pretty well. If I have two good batteries on this one, I think we'll feel like we are living luxuriously.

Don't mean to hijack, but where are good sites to watch for sales on panels?
As mentioned in an earlier post, Renogy kits are pretty good. They are less expensive than others and they have a good performance. As for sites that have sales, I would shy away from eBay and other sites like that as I have read reviews where they put kits together using blemished panels and sub-standard controllers. The panels did not produce the numbers in the mfr specifications for the panels. I have watched the Renogy mfr site and they have had some good discounts every now and then. Renogy also sells their products on Amazon, if you have Prime there is free shipping. The shipping can be expensive.

Nice that you started out on the inexpensive batteries, a lot of people started with the expensive ones and not knowing much about batteries they killed them. A couple times and your bank account will feel it.

Good Luck!!

Don

There is some information regarding batteries, and controller on the "RVing with SOLAR" Social Group in the above Community.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

I have the Renogy 100W portable solar panel with charge controller and 50 feet of cable that I used to keep the battery charged on our popup. I plan to use it with the new TT when we go dry camping. I bought everything through Amazon with prime free shipping for around $200.

It worked well for keeping a single group27 charged on sunny days. It will be interesting to see how well it does keeping up the the dual batteries on the new rig.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #17

We have never used a generator, and don't want one, for many reasons. We have just put up little stick-on LED lights near the electric ones, so we don't have to use the main battery for lights when we're dry camping; the radio doesn't come in out in the woods. The main concern is all the panel lights that stay on all the time - that an DW's anxiety about running the battery down, though that's never happened. I'd like to get a little more solar voltage and be able to plug it in rather than clipping to the batteries, though.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #18

For those that want an easy install and don't want to drill holes in their roofs, have you looked at the flexible panels?
You can use adhesive to attach to your roof. As long as you use a compatible adhesive with your roof membrane there should not be any warranty issues.

https://www.solarwholesaler.ca/produ...a-solar-panel/

A bit pricier than regular panels but......

I think a great "low cost" system for battery maintenance would be....
100watt flex panel (link above)
Midnite Brat charge controller mounted outside near the battery
MidNite Solar Products
Wire

You would not have to drill any holes in your roof and you could run the wire down some conduit or cable raceway stuck on the front of your trailer. Nothing permanent and very short wire runs.
This would also be a great intro to solar for someone who wants to dabble but doesn't want to invest thousands on a new system without really knowing what they want or need.

Cheers

Cable guard links... I am not really sure what would be best but I am sure something would work with some high quality waterproof double sided tape.
Wire Guard Indoor/Outdoor Cable Covers - CableOrganizer.com
Raceway On A Roll,Quest Raceway System Solutions, Quest Raceway,Cable Tray Systems, SnakeTray Supplier, Cable Tray Supplier, Cable Tray Distributor, cable tray system, Raceway Systems, Flextray, Basket tray
Cable Protection- Wiring Duct, One-piece Raceway, Wrapping Bands, Flexible Conduit, Conduits and Fittings, Conduit Adaptors, Mounting bracket, Bushing, Cord Bushings, Cable Glands
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Floor Cord Covers