Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Power Awning Quit Working

Yesterday morning I put my awning out to let it dry after the rain quit. 8 hours or so later I tried to bring it back in. It wouldn't budge using the wireless remote or the hard wired switch. It would not move. I looked at the 12v fuse block to see if a fuse was blown. The awning and both rear slides operate on a single 20a auto resetting breaker. I used the awning supplied electrical cable to hook my jump box to the awning motor and brought it in for the night (this confirmed that the awning motor worked fine).

This morning, after talking with my dealer service manger, I took this breaker out and put in a 20a fuse to eliminate the breaker as the problem - no joy and put the breaker back in. I then took the cover off of the controller fed by the 20a breaker above and removed the red and black 10ga wires that provide power to this controller. I checked for voltage at these leads and 12v was present. I then put these leads back on the spade terminals in the controller. After the power leads were reinstalled I tried again to move the awning and it worked. Both slides worked also.

My dealer provided the phone number to the controller manufacturer, Alto American, and I had a nice conversation with one of their tech guys, Tom. Tom asked if I bumped the 20a breaker right beside the red 10ga power wire when I was removing it to check the voltage. I did I'm sure since it is tight in there. Tom suggested I replace this breaker as well as the 20a breaker in the Jayco 12v panel and to let him know if this happens again. He thinks it was either a bad connection on either of the power leads or a bad breaker. I certainly don't mind replacing the breakers. I have already replaced the 20a one in the Jayco panel and the other one is on order and will be here tomorrow morning. At $3.50 each that is a cheap fix.

I will keep you all informed if this develops further.

Tom also told me the on/off switch on this controller only controls the wireless remote. He said it does not turn off the controller and the hard wired switches will still work even with this switch set to off. He said some turn off the wireless feature when in a crowded campground to eliminate the potential for a neighbor moving your slides by accident. Interesting thought.

I'm not sure I made all of the above clear. Please ask anything you wish. I will try to do better with the answer(s).

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Thanks, Ed, that's good information. I like this forum most for those kinds of threads. Sooner or later we all will have a problem something like you had. It might not be an awning, but something. And we have your (and others) experience to draw on. Good stuff!

You did make everything clear.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Very detailed and well written. You should write the manuals for these types of accessories.
Thanks for the information.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Exclamation Failed Awning Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Thanks, Ed, that's good information. I like this forum most for those kinds of threads. Sooner or later we all will have a problem something like you had. It might not be an awning, but something. And we have your (and others) experience to draw on. Good stuff!

You did make everything clear.
I had a similar issue, however the motor gear set was out of line, I removed cover on awning arm, located motor, you will see a set screw,on the opposite side of the motor make sure it is screwed in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch,( need align wrench) otherwise they bind, our awning was extended, would not wind in, and be advised their is not a manual way to retract the awning bad design. I bought an additional motor assembly ($220.00) to have just in case the motor dies, cheap insurance.

Buckeyejim
Columbus OH
Eagle 322FKS
Ram 2500 Cummins Power
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Good info Ed.

I guess the Duct Tape and Hammer did not work???
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

I couldn't find my duct tape, but I did have my hammer handy.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

The small case auto reset 20a breaker is now installed in the awning/slides controller. I replaced the 20a breaker in the Jayco panel yesterday. All seems to be working fine now.

Fingers crossed.