Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #1

"Prep for outside grill": What is this?

My soon to be delivered Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS fifth wheel has "Prep for outside grill" as standard equipment. I presume this is a quick connect fitting somewhere on the door side of the trailer. Does anybody know if my presumption is correct?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

I believe your assumption is correct. Our 2009 Eagle Super Lite 308 RLS came with a quick connect fitting for a grill. The rail to mount the grill is also there.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Thanks, sailor. Do you happen to know if your quick connect fitting is on the high side of the regulator or the low side?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #4

Our's is on the low side.
Our "prep" was the quick connect and rail.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

I'm fairly sure it is on the low side.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

We have a Weber Q 100 grill like this one:http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...?glid=5&mid=33. We have always before operated it on portable bottles. I've researched and can't figure out exactly what I need to buy to be able to operate this grill by plugging a hose into the quick connect on my trailer.

Since the quick connect is on low side of the propane supply on the trailer, do I need to leave the pressure regulator on the grill, or does it make any difference? Is there some sort of fitting that emulates the top of a portable bottle, and you just screw that into the grill as it is now, and then plug in the other end of the hose into the quick connect? Or do you have to remove the regulator from the grill, and screw some sort of adapter onto the grill, and attach the hose directly to the grill? What sort of adapters, what sort of hose? There's lots of this stuff available, but I can't tell what i need.

As you can see, I am confused...

Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
We have a Weber Q 100 grill like this one:http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...?glid=5&mid=33. We have always before operated it on portable bottles. I've researched and can't figure out exactly what I need to buy to be able to operate this grill by plugging a hose into the quick connect on my trailer.

Since the quick connect is on low side of the propane supply on the trailer, do I need to leave the pressure regulator on the grill, or does it make any difference? Is there some sort of fitting that emulates the top of a portable bottle, and you just screw that into the grill as it is now, and then plug in the other end of the hose into the quick connect? Or do you have to remove the regulator from the grill, and screw some sort of adapter onto the grill, and attach the hose directly to the grill? What sort of adapters, what sort of hose? There's lots of this stuff available, but I can't tell what i need.

As you can see, I am confused...
Any propane shop will know instantly what you need, and will have the proper fittings for it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

I did exctly that, only I added the gas line and the quick connect. You'll need both halves of the QC for the grill side. The baby Q regulator unscrews. You'll have to do a small amount of disassembly to get it off, but it's easy. The theads are 1/4" so that's the size QC you need for the grill. You'll also need to match the QC fitting on the trailer. I think both parts are specific to the manufacturer, so you may need to change out the one on the trailer to get a male/female that connects properly. The hoses come in various sizes with various types and sizes of fittings, usually pipe thread and/or swivel flare. Any hardware store can match your hose with the quick connects and you're good to go. When you put everything together, the pipe thread connections get yellow thread tape, not white, and the flare connections simply screw together. I havn't seen how Jayco does theirs, but if the QC on the trailer does not have a shut-off, install one. The QCs are not supposed to leak, but....
Attached Thumbnails
Grill QC.jpg  
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

OK, I think I got it.

Bob, I like that protective cover you have on your QC.