Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Propane question

Has anyone tried this:

Modify a portable grill (hooks directly to disposable bottle) to connect to an RV's low pressure system?

I just bought a new TT and low pressure is available near the right rear.

But I already have a portable grill and hoses that link it between the tank and regulator on my old trailer.

I originally figured on getting a table-top low pressure grill. Web searches turn up wall-mounted and very pricey RV specific grills.

Is there a happy medium?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #2

Our 'happy medium' plan is to refill the small 'disposable' tanks from our home grill's, 20lb tanks. We use the small tanks for our portable grill that we really like and have had for a L-O-N-G time; just like our single mantle propane lantern.

We haven't needed to refill the disposable tanks yet, so I can't say how easy it will be to refill (but I've seen it on YouTube ). When we sold our class-B we found several tanks I had put in hidden places for 'just in case.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

99% of people should stick with what is factory produced. Others, you know who you are, the guys who build potato cannons, have put different engines in cars than were from the factory, service their own A/C systems, etc. Those guys could make your idea work. I'm one of those guys too. I have thought about doing this but have a few other items ahead of it and a stash of portable propane already purchased.

The standard disposable tank regulator has on the end of it, an orifice. That fits into the burner tube of grills for most common setups. What I'm saying is, if you have a spare regulator (these portable grills rust out, I have about 2 extra) could try cutting that orifice end part off, then since its very low PSI propane, make yourself a hose that connects from the TT connector to this, going through a valve to control the flow.

OK< this may not work at all, but you're asking for a home remedy correct? Its low pressure, but flammable. Be safe, and test carefully.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #4

On our old pop-up I put a "T" adapter in between one of the tanks and the regulator. This was an adapter I picked up a farm supply store. Then connected a long hose for the portable grill. With the changes in connectors over the years, I'm not sure such an animal still exists.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #5

I am going to be converting my outside quick connect gas line from regulated to non regulated. I will be adding a T before the regs and will put in a valve right there at the tanks for this line. Will disconnect existing line from manifold, put a plug in the manifold, and use a coupling to connect new line from tanks to existing line.

Edit to add: I already have the fittings to connect the hose directly to where the 1# bottle threads into. My grill will only work on HP propane. Got all the fittings off Amazon.
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #6

On thing to consider on those HP hose hookups, the hose required for that pressure is expensive, you definately don't want a home made connection, and at least for my old grill, the existing disposable style regulator did not flow enough to give a good flame and high heat. If you have a low-tech hose on the low pressure side and a ball valve, you should be able to have full control over the flames. I look forward to seeing more ideas and how y'all handle the hookups.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
99% of people should stick with what is factory produced. Others, you know who you are, the guys who build potato cannons, have put different engines in cars than were from the factory, service their own A/C systems, etc.
...snip...
Its low pressure, but flammable. Be safe, and test carefully.
I am sooooo one of the 'Other' kinds. I've never built a potato cannon, but does building one riding mower out of the pieces from three when I was 14 count? Keeping a 1965 Diesel backhoe/loader fully operational? What about the 3 compact tractors and various implements? MIG, TIG, stick and O/A welding? OK, I'm not good at O/A. A/C, AC/DC, 12V, 110V, 220V are all fun to fix, modify or upgrade.

And, at age 54, I still have all 10 fingers!

----------

The combination regulator and flow control you pictured is exactly the problem I am up against.

As I mentioned in my first post, I did tap into the high pressure side of my old trailer (totally rebuilt it, actually). And ran high pressure hose to the portable grill. Worked great.

Unfortunately, tapping into the new trailer's high pressure side will void warranties and be problematic with the combined two-stage regulator and semi-automatic changeover valve. Plus the plumbing is already in place for low pressure delivery.

--------------

So, what I need to find is a flow control valve (OFF/Hi-----Lo) that'll fit the burner tube and have a 3/8" flare inlet. The rest is standard parts.

Thanks.

Do you think Lowes/Home Depot stock such an item as a repair part?

I'll find out tonight. My ride home from the office passes 2 Home Depots and 1 Lowes.

I'll post what I find.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

I used to refill 1 lb cans until I unscrewed one from the 20 lb tank and the valve was frozen open. I chucked it like a hand grenade and decided I was done doing that..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
On our old pop-up I put a "T" adapter in between one of the tanks and the regulator. This was an adapter I picked up a farm supply store. Then connected a long hose for the portable grill. With the changes in connectors over the years, I'm not sure such an animal still exists.
The 1/4 pipe adapter to 1" fine (disposable cylinder) are still very available at Tractor Supply.

And the pre-assembled 8' high pressure hoses are carried by Wal*Mart.

I was able to keep all of the high pressure pieces 1/4 pipe.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I used to refill 1 lb cans until I unscrewed one from the 20 lb tank and the valve was frozen open. I chucked it like a hand grenade and decided I was done doing that..
I've never been comfortable with the idea of 'refilling' the disposable cans.

We're not really refilling them. All we're doing is re-pressurizing them. No liquid gets into the smaller can.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

RE: fittings.

I bought two big propane burners for making a double crawfish cooker and beer brewing setup. But didn't have anything else, so I bought a regulator that fits on a 15lb tank with a hose, and then took the whole thing to my local "good o'l boy" hardware store, the kind of store where they meet at the door and walk you to everything...and they have everything from welding supplies to paint to 12" pressure feed water pipes for contractors to Yeti coolers and every screw nut and bolt imaginable, including very extensive plumbing. The store guy looked at what I was needed and took it as a challenge and we needed two valves, a T fitting, etc but I got it all setup and works great. Sure beats many trips to store and back. Those brass fittings add up, I spent nearly $28 but it fits and works great. If you can do that sort of shopping recommend it. I hate big box stores for that sort of stuff.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
snip...
We're not really refilling them. All we're doing is re-pressurizing them. ...snip
True. But for the two of us a number of 1/2 full (or so) disposable can lasts quite a while with the flexibility of setting up virtually anywhere.

And the dogs on their tethers won't get wrapped around the long hose... just the chairs, table, stabilizers, tires....
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
RE: fittings.

I bought two big propane burners for making a double crawfish cooker...snip.... If you can do that sort of shopping recommend it. I hate big box stores for that sort of stuff.
If you carry that clerk's level of understanding in your own head, you can shop at the big box stores (that's stores -plural- 'cause no one store has all the bits and pieces) and gather the necessary parts.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
True. But for the two of us a number of 1/2 full (or so) disposable can lasts quite a while with the flexibility of setting up virtually anywhere.

And the dogs on their tethers won't get wrapped around the long hose... just the chairs, table, stabilizers, tires....
I will not criticize another person's choices. If it works for you safely. Then feel free.

I'll take a corded tool and a genset over cordless tools any day.

We board the dog at the last outpost of civilization before we get to the campsite. Vacation from Mr. Rambunctious as well.

And proud of it!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

Propane question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Our 'happy medium' plan is to refill the small 'disposable' tanks from our home grill's, 20lb tanks. We use the small tanks for our portable grill that we really like and have had for a L-O-N-G time; just like our single mantle propane lantern.

We haven't needed to refill the disposable tanks yet, so I can't say how easy it will be to refill (but I've seen it on YouTube ). When we sold our class-B we found several tanks I had put in hidden places for 'just in case.'

I have been refilling the small disposable cylinders for about three years now and works really good I can refill for about a $ 1 each . I have a picture of what I built if interested? As with all things if you don't feel comfortable or not sure how to do it safely then it's best to just purchase new .Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432083522.336895.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	18177
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton4971 View Post
I have been refilling the small disposable cylinders for about three years now and works really good I can refill for about a $ 1 each . I have a picture of what I built if interested? As with all things if you don't feel comfortable or not sure how to do it safely then it's best to just purchase new .Attachment 18177
$1 of propane is much more than one pound. I just refilled a 20# BBQ tank for $16 (last year it was $14).

I see your rig and I still question, "How do you get the liquid to transfer from the bulk tank to the small can?"

And proud of it!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #17

Propane question

###
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #18

Think twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I've never been comfortable with the idea of 'refilling' the disposable cans.

We're not really refilling them. All we're doing is re-pressurizing them. No liquid gets into the smaller can.
A little information about propane. It is also called liquified petroleum gas, LPG. In a pressure vessel (the tank) the propane is liquid under pressure. The vapors are generated by the liquid gas and is what your appliances use. As the vapors are used up, more vapors are created by the remaining liquid propane. If all you are doing is transferring "pressure", you are not gaining much, but are dealing with the most dangerous part of the fuel, in my opinion. My father had an LPG bulk plant and fleet of trucks. I worked for him but haven't been around it for a while, but I would certainly advise against filling these small throwaway canisters. For $2 or $3 why take the chance?
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfir1 View Post
...snip... but I would certainly advise against filling these small throwaway canisters. For $2 or $3 why take the chance?
Actually, they are saving considerable money. Those 14oz cans are $5-$7 each. Compared to $0.80 (5/18/15) for 16oz in bulk.

The re-pressurization put's a dime's worth (an hour of run time) into the can. Keep a handful of those cans around and re-pressurize them as needed; You can keep a whole campsite running without hoses or propane trees.

Again, not my idea of a good time. And if you read the printing on the side of the cans, it is illegal to transport these 'refilled' little cans across state lines.

And proud of it!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
Site Team

I'll save a few bucks somewhere else. I used to carry the un refilled 1 lb tanks in my storage and frequently would smell propane in the storage compartment. I have seen refilled ones not seal properly and IMO this is a disaster waiting to happen.

The warning on the can is there for a reason, my families life and my rig ar to valuable to risk it to save a few bucks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote