Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

Propane quick connect?

Is there a tee available for the propane quick connect? I have my RVQ hooked up but would like to have my campchef on a quick connect as well at the same time.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #2

It won,t work. The outlet for the rvq is low pressure and the campchef will need high pressure. To feed the campchef you will have to tee in before the regulator on the trailer to get the pressure you will need.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

Yes, it will work and is very simple to do. You do not have to "Tee" at the regulator. The more fittings you hang there, the more likely you can develop a leak.

The low pressure out of a regulator to a grill is going be the same(11"WC) whether it's fed from the tank regulator or the regulator on the grill, but you can only regulate pressure once. Remove the regulator from the grill and equip it with a male QC. You can probably buy the propane hose and fittings from your dealer, but you'll pay too much. You can get the same stuff at a propane dealer. I recommend calling Jayco and finding out what brand QCs they use, simply for compatibility. I like the Fairview QC fittings simply because they require you to shut it off in order to connect or disconnect the hose. The photos show this done to a Weber Baby Q and I've used this on two trailers. You'll probably have to use a fitting on each end of the hose to adapt the QCs to, but that's no biggie. Just remember to use yellow pipe tape or Rector Seal No.5 on the NPT threads. Flare connections do not get sealed. The bottom photo shows the QC extended to the side of the trailer using a pipe nipple and a coupler to make it reachable.

---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #4

I did some nosing around and couldn't find a quick connect tee so I'm guessing you will have to build your own from parts. If it was my rig, I would first remove the existing quick connect fitting (it just might be a good idea to turn off the gas first ), then put a tee in its place. If you want, you can add a gas valve while you are in there (I would but, then, I'm anal), then tee off from the valve. You could either put the quick connect fittings on the ends of the tee or, if you have room (or can make room), use elbows on the tee so the quick connects point out again. A little additional bracing would also be very wise. Follow Bob's directions regarding sealing the connections.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #5

IMO, to have a QC without a shut-off is a no-no. They can leak, even when disconnected. That's why I like the Fairview QCs. The female half has a built in shut-off that will also not allow you to connect or disconnect unless the gas is turned off.

On my first trailer, I inserted a Tee where the regulator hose connected to the black pipe manifold and ran it to the side of the traler using flare fittings and copper tubing. The female did not have a shut-off so I added one. The new trailer uses black pipe for the gas manifold and the QC for the grill comes off of a Tee. I havn't seen any pre-fab Tees, but that's easy to make using nipples, unions and elbows. This stuff is all 1/2" NPT threads and it's available everywhere. You could have a many QCs as you think you need, but I don't see a need to run more than 2 gas appliances at a time, especially outdoors.At some point, I may add another QC. It's conceivable that I may want to grill a rib-eye and saute mushrooms and onions at the same time
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

Derek-- I ran a tee right off of my tank-- male into the tank -male to the regulater and a male ( with a screw on cap) to the hose that goes to the regulater on a spare grill that I carry & it all fits under that beautiful white tank cover we have. Larry ps I got the fitting at Tractor Supply