Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #1

Pump "BURPS" now and then?

2009 Jayco Eagle 5er. For the past couple years we hear the pump run (we call it a burp) for just a second or two every 30 - 40 minutes. Kind of annoying because you don't know what's causing it. All other pluming works fine, just that annoying burp now and then. Any idea what it could be? I have checked for leaks in and around camper and find nothing. Not even a drip.
dig4gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #2

Absent water escaping from the system somewhere (external leak), it is possible that the pump has a slight internal leak allowing pressure from the discharge side of the pump to leak back to the suction (tank) side of the pump. When the pressure drops below the pressure switch setpoint, the pump kicks on to restore the pressure. Since it is a very small volume, it only needs a tiny run to build it back up and shut off. Many popular water pumps have a rebuild kit available, usually not too tough to install a kit once you have the pump out of the system.

Back to a possible leak - Have you checked the hot water heater's relief valve for slight dripping? I have had them start seeping after a few years of use causing your exact symptoms on my two prior Class C units. One had a Suburban and one had an Atwood, so it isn't isolated to a single HWH manufacturer. Replaced both at local big box home improvement store (they weren't RV-specific) and solved my problem.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

No . . . I haven't checked the relief valve for leaks. That's a great idea, thanks. I did notice a little rust on it yesterday when I was draining the system for the winter . . . I'll have to check that next year when we put water in it again.
If the pump was leaking internally, I wouldn't see external evidence of that would I?
The pump is only a year or so old. I'm on my third! (Poor winterizing)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #4

There is a leak somewhere in your pressurized fresh water system. The leak can be anywhere. An external leak can be found by very carefully checking all connections and piping.

If no leak is found after such a careful check, then likely the check valve located within the pump is leaking slightly. This would not be evident from the outside. What happens is the water is passing from the pump, backwards, back into the fresh water tank. If this the issue, then the repair would be to repair or replace the pump, or to add an exterior check valve between the tank suction line and the intake of the pump.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
There is a leak somewhere in your pressurized fresh water system. The leak can be anywhere. An external leak can be found by very carefully checking all connections and piping.

If no leak is found after such a careful check, then likely the check valve located within the pump is leaking slightly. This would not be evident from the outside. What happens is the water is passing from the pump, backwards, back into the fresh water tank. If this the issue, then the repair would be to repair or replace the pump, or to add an exterior check valve between the tank suction line and the intake of the pump.
A quick check to confirm this; pressurize the system then close the winterize valve for the FW tank (this is effectively an extra backflow valve). Let it sit for a while and listen. If you have no burping, then the backflow valve in the pump is probably leaking back to the FW tank. If you still burp, that isn't the issue.

However, since you have replaced the pump a few times from poor winterizing, I would be very suspect of your plumbing. Don't discount a leak hidden away somewhere that you can't see.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

This happened to me earlier this year. In the middle of the night the pump would kick on for a second or two (I have a small accumulator pressure tank). I was so nervous because that is indicative of a leak. It turns out one of my low point drain T-handles wasn't completely seated closed and would drip a small drip of water every 10-20 seconds. Over time it let the pressure bleed down to pump kick-on pressure. I was fortunate it wasn't an internal leak!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

I had a slow seep where the parts of the toilet's valve were not welded properly.

Chased it for a year before it got bad enough to find the puddle on the floor.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #8

It is a slow leak somewhere! It could be hard to find. I seem to get one periodically, typically it is my hot water low point drain, starts to drip. Not much, but after a weekend, the ground under the TT has a small wet spot. The last time it happened it was the outside shower valve got turned on all so slightly after putting it away.

Being it only happens every 30-40 minutes, I doubt it is a fractured pipe/fitting. I would start looking is any transitions, from the PEX pipe, to a fixture, like a faucet, water heater, valve, etc. Also, check the pressure relief valve on the water heater, they do go bad. Don’t forget to check the city water connection check valve. Another good spot to check, is your outside shower faucet, it is really easy to turn the valve all so slightly. The last thing to check is the check valve for the water pump as it is hard to pull the pump and verify, usually only new trailers have a pump issue, as construction debris gets sucked up.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig4gold View Post
....snip....
The pump is only a year or so old. I'm on my third! (Poor winterizing)
Has the current pump been thru a winter?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

A drippy faucet will cause the pump to "burp".

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Mine unit is only 4 months old and does the same- burp thing? But I had a major leak under the island sink and small trace behind the shower as well? So maybe another leak somewhere?
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdduke View Post
Mine unit is only 4 months old and does the same- burp thing? But I had a major leak under the island sink and small trace behind the shower as well? So maybe another leak somewhere?
Very possibly. May have to remove panels to see all your connections.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I had a slow seep where the parts of the toilet's valve were not welded properly.

Chased it for a year before it got bad enough to find the puddle on the floor.
Funny you mentioned that because we recently noticed "water" stains on the carpet that surrounds the toilet. We also noticed the toilet bolts needed tightening so we did and have not had any leaks since . . . but pump still "burps".
Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #14

Thanks all . . . very good stuff. You have confirmed our suspicion that there is a leak somewhere. Can't find any water drip or even dampness under sinks, camper, storage bin, etc. But could also be an air leak. Have a lot to check out . . . nest spring! Winterized and no water in it now for the winter.
I've suspected the FW tank overflow valve for a while now because it seemed to start burping after I overflowed the tank a couple times. Maybe that valve is not seating properly. Be a bugger to get to.

Again . . . ThANKS ALL!