Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Question for Equalizer WDH gurus

I have a 2013 Ford F150 and an X213. I also have an Equalizer WDH. The WDH was originally set up for use with my old TV (2007 Toyota Tacoma). When I bought my F150 I had the TT dealer check out the F150/X213 set up with the Equalizer and our normal camping stuff packed in. They told me everything looked good and didn't seem to need any adjustment.
I haven't noticed any issues towing other than a very light bounce on rare occasions when accelerating from a stop. This was very normal and occurred much more often with the Tacoma.
On my last trip I noticed that the truck does have a slight sag in the rear. The TT seems to be level. Reading up on the Equalizer hitch I found two recommended adjustments.
1. Add another washer to the ball adjustment. (It says I can go up to a max of 8 washers and I am currently set up with 6).
OR
2. I could adjust the WDH brackets on the TT by moving them up one hole higher.
My question is: What seems like the better idea?
Sorry but presently I don't have any pics to post.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #2

The brackets are your best choice. However if the trailer is level and truck is low your best bet is start over from step one to get the ball height right when unhooked and then use the bars to get back to that height when hooked. Set trailer level and measure for unloaded ball height on truck. Add a bit for reasonable sag (it's a guess). That's your starting point. Good luck
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

You will have sag in the rear suspension if the wdh is adjusted correctly, per the tv manufactures suggestions.

Best thing to do is start from scratch with measurements of the tv front fender (tt unhooked), then hook tt up (no wd bars), measure front fender, then adjust the wd bars to return the front fender per the tv owners manual (could be 1/2 the difference or return the front to unhooked height) once the wd bars are hooked up....

Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info if needed.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Adding a Washer will fine tune the adjustment versus moving the brackets up which I have found to make a much larger adjustment.

Are your brackets mounted in the middle as the Manual describes to do?

I set mine up to have the bars parallel to the frame with a slight up at the brackets.

As stated above... Would be best to do all the measurements per the manual and see where you end up after applying the Hitch with its current setup then you would know if an adjustment is needed.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Question for Equalizer WDH gurus

I have an Equalizer 1400 head with 1200 bars, came that way from the dealer with my TT. I have a 2014 F150 with Max Tow. With a 7100lbs trailer (dry weight) I was not happy with the dealer install and performed it again. Trailer level hitch height was ~25.5 inches. I had to flip the receiver leg up to get that height. Adding the height I knew would effect my washer equation so I added two washers (I was 1/2" high on the front with WD engaged as installed by the dealer). This had me at 6 washers.

I tested this weekend towing to our camping destination. Leaving home I was 1/8 inch lower in the front then I am with nothing hooked up. It actually felt great compared to my dealer setup! I do realize this is probably a little too much WD on the front end though so I am going to try 5 washers for our next trip in two weeks.

I did not mess with the L-Bracket height at all during my re-do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
I have an Equalizer 1400 head with 1200 bars, came that way from the dealer with my TT.

The head and bars you have are correct. The 1400 or 1200 heads come with the exact same bars. I know this because I went from a 1200 head to a 1400 head and thought I'd need a complete new kit. I called Equalizer and their tech told me all I'd need to buy was a 1400 head because the bars I already had were the same.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote