Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Radio speakers didn't work, then magically did...

So, our brand new Jayco 17XFD has the radio with internal speakers. When we got it home, we discovered the speakers didn't work...

Yes, checked the front/back (and left/right and every other setting), no other output button, etc. The radio would lock onto stations when seeking, so the radio was working, just not getting the sound to the speakers.

Told the dealer about it, but told them we'd bring it back after taking it out Thanksgiving (Canadian)... we get out camping, set it up, hit the button... and the speakers magically worked...

So, maybe a loose cable? Any other suggestions I should check? I'd rather not lug it back to the dealer if I don't have to, and of course come the spring if it doesn't work, I will take it back for them to troubleshoot.

TV 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
TT 2016 Jay Feather 17XFD Hybrid
pfalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Contact the radio manufacturer's tech support and explain the problem. They may choose to send a replacement.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #3

If ALL of the speakers weren't working it could be a loose connection at the unit. I would pull the unit out and check the speaker connections to the back of it.
I would also double check that I didn't have the system accidentally muted.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #4

Thanks, definitely wasn't muted. I removed the faceplate and did the unit reset to see if that would work...

Since it worked immediately when we turned it on at the campsite, I suspect a loose connection that worked itself back in place and since it was both speakers, probably at the radio itself. I guess I can pull the radio out and try reseating the connector.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Update

Update... took the trailer out for the 1st camping trip of the season... while at the campground I had the radio going, closed the screen door a bit too hard... and the radio speakers went dead again...

So, I went back in and realized if I pushed down on the top lip of the radio, to sound came back intermittently... clearly a bad connection somewhere.

So I popped off the panel, used the radio removal tools to pull it out... quite the mess of wires in the harness, including some unused wires... it looks like one of the unused wires was curled up and slipped into a vent on the side of the radio, don't know if there was some kind of issue with that!

I reseated the cables, fed them back in carefully so none sneaked back into the vents on the radio, and put it back in place... seems to have done the trick.

Assuming it worked, I'm glad the bad connection wasn't in the ceiling or at the speakers themselves!.

Tags
radio, speakers