Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Site Team

Read Before Adding/Replacing Battery to an existing set, charging/performance issues

FYI

While researching battery maintenance/upgrades I came across this information that clears the air on adding/replacing/charging battery performance issues. Here is what was said regarding Parallel/Series and adding/replacing charging batteries. It is my understanding that the information came from Concorde Battery Company (Mfr of Military batteries). Very interesting information...

1. A new battery can be added in parallel with two (or more) older batteries. However, new batteries should never be connected in a series circuit with older batteries.

I then e-mailed them this question:

2. Why new and old batteries should never be connected in series?
-from the Director of Advanced Battery Technology at Concorde
The reason for this rule is because new batteries have a lower rate of oxygen recombination compared to aged batteries. When connected in series, the same current goes through each battery. The voltage of the new battery will get too high because of the lower oxygen recombination rate. The high voltage will force the new battery to be overcharged, leading to accelerated grid corrosion and loss of electrolyte. The high voltage on the new battery will also mean a lower than normal charging voltage on the remaining aged batteries so they will get undercharged, leading to sulfation and loss of capacity.

- from their Vice President of Manufacturing:
· In a series circuit, the capacity (A/H) input (charged) or removed (discharged) stays constant throughout the entire string. Therefore, if 50 A/H is removed from the string, it will be removed from every battery within that string.

· The measured voltage of a string is the sum of the voltages of the entire string. By the way, the current removed is not cumulative.

· Therefore, if you have a series string with several batteries and one is lower capacity than the rest of the string, the net voltage of the string will be supported mostly by the “new” batteries and may allow the string to be discharged below the capacity of the lower capacity battery.

· If this occurs and the discharge continues, the lower capacity battery will become completely discharged. Once the voltage of this battery reaches zero and the discharge (driven by the rest of the batteries in the string) continues, the current which is discharging the rest of the string will also travel in the discharge direction through the lower capacity battery, in effect charging it in reverse. This will destroy the lower capacity battery.

· In a parallel circuit, the voltage of all batteries within that circuit must always be the same as the rest.

· Therefore, any discharge (or conversely, recharge) will be governed by voltage.

· If there is a lower capacity battery in the circuit, only enough capacity will be withdrawn to discharge that battery to the same voltage as the rest of the circuit.

· If, for example, there is a battery that has 50% of the capacity of the rest, this battery will not produce as much capacity but it will not be discharged to any lower voltage than the rest of the circuit, thus protecting it from over discharge and subsequent reversal.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Good info. Thanks for posting it.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

I'm thinking that you would only connect in series if you have two 6V batteries and want 12V. Two 12V battries in series would produce 24V wouldn't it?

Nick
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Team

It pretty much generic, whether you are talking 6 volt series/parallel, 12 volt series/parallel or 24 volt...... Granted RV's are 12 volt, so 6volt batteries could use both series/parallel depending on the number of batteries, as for 12 volt batteries, series would not apply only parallel, but the concept holds true for any combination of series/parallel setups.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Keep in mind, each 12 volt battery is made up of 6 individual cells connected in series. Two volts each. The same principles apply when one cell is weaker.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
Good info. Thanks for posting it.
X2 - Mustang65, thanks for doing the research on this one. There are legitimate technical reasons things work well (or don't) and we don't always know what they are. Your post did an excellent job with the new / old battery issue - that we have gone over a time or two.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

As a general rule, doesn't it make sense to swap out all the batteries at the same time? That way the batteries should begin to fail at about the same time baring a quality problem with one of the batteries. Long term the $$ is the same, and it gives you confidence knowing that the battery pack has been upgraded rather than just one of two.

I have used the 6 volt golf cart batteries in both my TT and houseboat. I plan on upgrading the 12v that came with my whitehawk with 2 6v's in the Spring. Will be plugged in on our trip south in about a month so the single 12v should handle the road trip down and back.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

This is interesting. Makes me feel bad for asking Costco to replace both of the 12V in my Ram when one battery lost a cell at 18months old. (BTW, Costco rocks.....18 months into those batteries they replaced both with no charge.)

I use 2x6V on the trailer so will be stuck when one fails. Oh well, worth it for the capacity vs space on my trailer!

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

Thanks for sharing! Especially good for a newbie...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote