Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Rearview Camera .. Rear View Mirror

Just upgraded from popup where we could use the rearview mirror when driving to a 17' Hybrid where the rear view is blocked. We are driving a Highlander. We have a Rosen Nav system and maybe could use it, but during the day, glare sometimes makes it hard to see the screen, so I am hesitant.

What kind of setup do you recommend?

Is WIFI stable or wired recommended?

How easy to hook up for a newbie? (Any videos for installation?)I'm unsure of how the wiring happens.

Best brand/model?

How about clip on to rearview mirror VS monitor?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
PoulsboMom2Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #2

Look on Amazon for trailer mirrors that will mount onto your existing mirrors.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

We purchased (and I'm a fan of) the Furrion Wireless Observation Camera (note: "observation" not the similar appearing "backup" camera). Install involves connecting power/ground and four screws. The monitor comes with a suction cup mount. The only issue is the default view is pretty close to the rear of the unit. This can be adjusted (and could be shimmed even further) but you'd need to find the angle that works best for you.

Regardless of what you do/don't do for a camera, decent towing mirrors make for a more comfortable pull...
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #4

THANK YOU! This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! 4.5 stars on Amazon..But reading the comments, so many people say it cuts out on the highway, while others say it's great.

Do you have cutting out issues?

"Apparently this camera works fine for MANY people. But both my experiences (TWO different systems) and the manufacturer itself says it shouldn't work over 55mph. Caveat Emptor."

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FOS48...&sortBy=recent

PS Anyone use REARVIEW SAFETY? Sold also at Costco which gives me some security https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GM5GKO?psc=1
Old 07-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoulsboMom2Two View Post

Do you have cutting out issues?
I don't. I'm pulling a 28BHBE (~33') with an F350 CCSB at interstate speeds, so it's a decently long rig but but several feet shorter and much less structure between the camera and monitor than on the 5th-wheel in the Amazon review. Since they were able to obtain a solid signal when they moved the monitor throughout their vehicle cabin I'd guess they were just a bit over the allowable level of interference.

I know that's not definitive, but it's another data point. A hardwired camera would avoid that concern/risk but does add some degree of difficulty for the install.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Team

The camera is a great idea, but you'll still need towing mirrors. By law, you have to be able to see a minimum of 200 feet behind you. And lurking out there may be a trooper that needs to write a ticket. Just sayin'.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

We can see using the side mirrors, but there's nothing like seeing behind you. And i keep looking in the rearview but...duh, I can't see anything

Ours is only a 17' hybrid with a Highlander, so it might just be worth trying it the Furrion!