Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Refrigerator Condenser Cooling Fan & Mods

Hi All,

So this is our last summer of camping before our Warranty expires in late September. Although we haven't had any major issues with the TT, just some minor stuff, I started to look at modifications to prolong the life of our TT and components.

The first modification, I will be applying Eternabond tape to all our seams and around roof penetrations. As soon as the weather cooperates. I'm tired of checking my Dicor

The second modification on the schedule is to install a condenser cooling fan for the refrigerator. During our trip last summer to South Dakota, the Refrigerator would struggle when ambient temperatures got above 90 degrees or so. It was 90+ several days in a row. During those times the refrigerator was operating on electric mode. Switching to LP mode would operate much better due to the draft created by the flue with burner operation. I want to save on my LP consumption.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching the internet for the best idea to perform this mod without "hacking" in a fan and snap disc control. In my research, I found a system that not only controls a fan, but also monitors your boiler & condenser temperature. It will shut your system down during a high boiler temp condition and automatically restart it. The controller will also turn a fan on and off as needed due to condenser temperature.

The website is www.arprv.com I ordered the controller and a fan. I am going to fabricate a mounting bracket for the fan so I don't have to mount it to the door as suggested. I know alot of mods of this nature were just adding 1 or 2 4" 12VDC computer fans under the roof vent and sucking the air over the coil.
The fan provided in this kit is actually a blower that will take cooler air in from the access door and force it up towards the roof vent.

Has anyone heard if this company and/or the kit they sell? Also, would like to hear from anyone who has done this modification in general and what the results were. My ARP kit is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. As soon as the weather improves, I will post pictures of the modification.

Mark
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

This is another one of those mods that I have considered.... Please keep us updated on the install, and how it seems to work this summer.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Or just put a residential fridge in like we did and be done with all the uneven temps and issues. No cooling fans requires, no defrosting,mono has or burners Etc. We'll never own an "Rv fridge" again. After 8 rigs with them, we're tired of jacking with them. Actually cheaper to do what I did opposed to a new norcold.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

If you insist on staying the Rv fridge and want one of these for a 8 cf norcold:

https://smartrvproducts.com/works/

Let me know. I'll sell you a new one for a fraction of the cost. Definitely helps even out the interior fridge temps.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #5

Today I installed the ARP controller I talked about in my post above. Took me about 2 hours to complete the installation. To gain complete access to the boiler and install the controller temperature sensor, I had to slide the refrigerator out about 5". Doing this wasn't bad at all. Disconnected 120v plug, 12v wires from control board and the LP gas line. I then mounted the controller and the blower to the back of the refrigerator.

The blower cycles on and off according to the absorber tube temperature. The controller will monitor the boiler temperature and shut down the system in case of a high temperature condition. It will then restart when temperatures return to normal. It also enables the user to check these temperatures.

Here are a couple of pictures.

I can't figure out how to rotate the photo or add the second photo. Anyone have a tip to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

Old 05-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #6

lets see if this works...Awesome! it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge fan1.jpg   Fridge fan2.jpg