Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Replacing analog thermostat with digital, have questions

There is a lot of information out there, I'm trying to get opinions from people.

#1 is the wiring of the analog thermostat. The wire colors don't coordinate with traditional residential wiring coloring. Does anyone know what color wires from the Jayco correspond with what function for the thermostat? If it matters, I have a 2015 JayFlight with the 15K ducted AC. I would like the new thermostat to handle AC and furnace. I plan to use the HI FAN setting, am not worried about losing the LOW FAN setting.

#2 I have read concerns that a traditional residential digital thermostat can cause issues with the RV air conditioner. Is there anyone here that has converted to a residential style digital thermostat? A regular digital thermostat can be had for $20, whereas the "RV specific" digital thermostat is around $60.

I appreciate any comments.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

I read through a lot of various posts regarding replacing the thermostat and came to the conclusion that the extra $40 for the Coleman digital rv thermostat was worth it to not have to fool with hassle of translating to a residential one and a good number had issues when they did. It was worth the extra $$ to not fuss with it and know it would work.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I read through a lot of various posts regarding replacing the thermostat and came to the conclusion that the extra $40 for the Coleman digital rv thermostat was worth it to not have to fool with hassle of translating to a residential one and a good number had issues when they did. It was worth the extra $$ to not fuss with it and know it would work.
X2
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Yep, been there done that! Could never get the Lowes thermostat to work properly. So, I purchased the Coleman-Mach digital and wiring was easy and it works great. Spend the bucks...reduce the stress .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

The home thermostats are made for 24 volts, the RV is made for 12 volts, that's why the Lowes won't work.

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Diesel
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14man View Post
The home thermostats are made for 24 volts, the RV is made for 12 volts, that's why the Lowes won't work.
You left out 24 volt ac for residential, 12 volt dc for RV's.

If someone is looking for the ability to program, then going digital from a basic unit makes sense to me.

If anyone thinks that digital is better than a properly working analog unit then re-consider your actual needs. As long as the basic analog unit has consistent temperature control it will keep you comfortable.

There is much to be said for a reliable mechanical device in the typical RV which often sits dormant for much of its life. Unless you need program ability a digital readout is just fluff.

All that said, if you need to upgrade, unless you are familiar with HVAC controls, it makes the most sense to stay with products intended for RV units.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Team

I agree, I have the plans for using one but I already have enough things to do. $40 is a small price to pay to get it done.
I swapped mine out 2 years ago.

15 minutes, color for color.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Did the same thing, replaced the Coleman Mach mechanical with the Coleman Mach digital. 15 minute job.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
You left out 24 volt ac for residential, 12 volt dc for RV's.

If someone is looking for the ability to program, then going digital from a basic unit makes sense to me.

If anyone thinks that digital is better than a properly working analog unit then re-consider your actual needs. As long as the basic analog unit has consistent temperature control it will keep you comfortable.

There is much to be said for a reliable mechanical device in the typical RV which often sits dormant for much of its life. Unless you need program ability a digital readout is just fluff.

All that said, if you need to upgrade, unless you are familiar with HVAC controls, it makes the most sense to stay with products intended for RV units.

FWIW. vic
Has nothing to do with programing, in fact the Coleman digital is not programmable. I did the switch to digital for the ability to adjust it a degree at a time. the mechanical did not have great adjustability so we were always adjusting it higher and lower and missing the perfect setting.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
Did the same thing, replaced the Coleman Mach mechanical with the Coleman Mach digital. 15 minute job.
Spend the extra $$ to get a real easy swap with the Coleman Mach digital. Took me about 15 minutes also but had to install it vertically because I didn't have enough space between the door jamb and the cabinet. Looks pretty funny to see me with my head cocked sideways just to read the thing, but it works great and keeps the temp perfect. Keeps my old neck loosened up too! Lol
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #11

Anybody have the exact model (black color) for the digital coleman mach replacement? I've seen several different models that look similar with varying P/N. Just want to know which one yall are putting in the Jay Flight.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #12
Site Team

The one I have is p/n 8330-3362. I purchased it from RVplus.com years ago at $61.88.
Google that number and you can find them on ebay too!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
+1 replaced mine with a Coleman Mach digital, never looking back. Easy wire to wire switch, and works perfectly!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Has nothing to do with programing, in fact the Coleman digital is not programmable. I did the switch to digital for the ability to adjust it a degree at a time. the mechanical did not have great adjustability so we were always adjusting it higher and lower and missing the perfect setting.
Don't forget the 7 degree temp swing inherent in the mechanical 'stat. That's why I did mine; digital stat only swings about 2 degrees.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Don't forget the 7 degree temp swing inherent in the mechanical 'stat. That's why I did mine; digital stat only swings about 2 degrees.
7 degrees is not inherent. A 7 degree swing sounds to me like there was a problem of some sort.

Most all thermostats have an offset adjustment so the swing can be trimmed in. Our 23b has a slider. I needed to adjust mine on the used 23b which we bought. Apparently the previous owner(s) never trimmed it in. Maybe the adjustment was never noticed.

Another problem is that due to corrosion the adjustment contact wiper can lose conductivity over time. That will affect operation. In an RV which gets stored off season it is probably a good idea to move that adjustment occasionally. Just moving it and moving it back to original setting can help the wiper to re-established proper conductivity.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The one I have is p/n 8330-3362. I purchased it from RVplus.com years ago at $61.88.
Google that number and you can find them on ebay too!
Thanks Norty. I think the one I need is the 8330-3862, which appears to be same thing, just the black color version (no plug, just wire hook up). Do you by chance have the model of the one you took out?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Thanks Norty. I think the one I need is the 8330-3862, which appears to be same thing, just the black color version (no plug, just wire hook up). Do you by chance have the model of the one you took out?
That is the model number I installed last weekend, black digital AC and heat. Exact match wire to wire for the factory Coleman it replaced. Do it one wire at a time since camper wires are not color coded the same as the two thermostats.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
7 degrees is not inherent. A 7 degree swing sounds to me like there was a problem of some sort.

Most all thermostats have an offset adjustment so the swing can be trimmed in. Our 23b has a slider. I needed to adjust mine on the used 23b which we bought. Apparently the previous owner(s) never trimmed it in. Maybe the adjustment was never noticed.

Another problem is that due to corrosion the adjustment contact wiper can lose conductivity over time. That will affect operation. In an RV which gets stored off season it is probably a good idea to move that adjustment occasionally. Just moving it and moving it back to original setting can help the wiper to re-established proper conductivity.

vic
Did not know that a mechanical stat could be adjusted. Many users cite the temp swing as a reason for switching over to digital. If they can be adjusted, a lot of people (including me) are replacing the mechanical ones unnecessarily.

Oh well, it's done, it was easy, and I'm happy with the results.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #19

Our 5th has 2 of the digital Coleman thermo's. The front BR is A/C only. The rear controls A/C and furnace (like the household thermo's).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

Darn it, not the answer I wanted to hear!!! Well, I appreciate the feedback and guess I understand why I wasn't able to find the info I wanted... it just wouldn't work anyways. I ordered a digital Coleman-Mach off Amazon for $70, should be delivered in time to head to the lake for the 4th of July week.

We were sick of the wide swing in temps... 9 days at the lake alternating between freezing cold and uncomfortable hot was not good enough for the wife. $70 to keep wife and kiddo's comfy is money WELL spent!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote