Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Residential Refrigerator Door Lock Issues

When we first got our new Eagle, the Frigidaire residential refrigerator we ordered came with what appeared to be a great, non obtrusive latch to keep the doors closed during transit.

During our trip from Michigan to Florida, it worked flawlessly. It was actually so tight that it took quite an effort to latch/unlatch it.

However, now it is woefully inadequate. During our first day trip on the way home, we stopped at a rest area for lunch and upon opening the trailer door, we found the door wide open and it had swung into the corner of the countertop, denting the door skin quite a bit. After both of us confidently stating that we checked and double checked that the latch was closed, we decided to just tie the doors shut with a USB cord we had lying around just in case it was the latch.

On our next stop, the doors were closed (thankfully) but not because of the latch because it had yet again jiggled open. That confirmed to us that it was the latch and NOT us! Whew!! If not for the USB cord, it would have happened all over again. I can latch the door, wiggle the door up and down a little as would be the case when traveling, and watch it unlatch itself after 10-12 "jiggles".

Anyone else having issues with this latch? And if you have the residential refrigerator with this latch, be wary that it might just open on it's own and you may want to consider lashing the doors "just in case". I am going to look for some other method of lashing our doors together. The USB cord looks a little "tacky".

I have sent pics and the same type of description to our dealer and wondering what kind of warranty issues I might have.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge Latch.jpg   J Moon Refrigerator Door Dent.jpg  
Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

We had the same problem. I don't trust the latch anymore it unpredictable. I went to Lowes and bought a child proofing lock that I take off when I am not using.
mwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

I have had zero problems with my latch
The only prob was not locking it once...the milk on the floor was also a problem.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

I also have NOT had any problems with the latch......
Did have a problem once when I opened the refrigerator door after getting to rv park and couple things fell out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I also have NOT had any problems with the latch......
Did have a problem once when I opened the refrigerator door after getting to rv park and couple things fell out...

Yes I do that too. I keep forgetting to open slowly
Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
When we first got our new Eagle, the Frigidaire residential refrigerator we ordered came with what appeared to be a great, non obtrusive latch to keep the doors closed during transit.

During our trip from Michigan to Florida, it worked flawlessly. It was actually so tight that it took quite an effort to latch/unlatch it.

However, now it is woefully inadequate. During our first day trip on the way home, we stopped at a rest area for lunch and upon opening the trailer door, we found the door wide open and it had swung into the corner of the countertop, denting the door skin quite a bit. After both of us confidently stating that we checked and double checked that the latch was closed, we decided to just tie the doors shut with a USB cord we had lying around just in case it was the latch.

On our next stop, the doors were closed (thankfully) but not because of the latch because it had yet again jiggled open. That confirmed to us that it was the latch and NOT us! Whew!! If not for the USB cord, it would have happened all over again. I can latch the door, wiggle the door up and down a little as would be the case when traveling, and watch it unlatch itself after 10-12 "jiggles".

Anyone else having issues with this latch? And if you have the residential refrigerator with this latch, be wary that it might just open on it's own and you may want to consider lashing the doors "just in case". I am going to look for some other method of lashing our doors together. The USB cord looks a little "tacky".

I have sent pics and the same type of description to our dealer and wondering what kind of warranty issues I might have.
You do NOT have refrigerator lock latched all the way.........
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #7

Is that latched picture the best you can lock it?
The locking pin should be all the way..not half way. Solid red
Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
is that latched picture the best you can lock it?
The locking pin should be all the way..not half way. Solid red
exactly
Old 04-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
You do NOT have refrigerator lock latched all the way.........
The pic does NOT show the latch completely closed, I realize that. It was just to show what the latch looks like.

Actually, when the unit was new this past fall, the latch was REALLY hard to engage fully but it did latch all the way and actually made a "click" sound. It has loosened up over time, no longer makes the "click" and even though I push it as far as I can, it vibrated loose all by itself and continues to do so.

I bought some Velcro straps at Home Depot and fashioned not one, but two straps that ensure that the door stays closed.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #10

Ya..I'd say they owe you a new one.
Mine feels really nice
Old 04-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #11

My GE residential fridge didn't come with any type of latch.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Bluejay40
I have EXACTLY the same issue in my 330RSTS fridge and the same dent in the door.....first time I thought maybe we had failed to lock it and had the dent repaired using paintless dent repair...got about 90-95% of the dent out. Next trip, double checking the latch the door came open again and again dented the door. Can jiggle the door and the latch will come open. How did you come out with the dealer and getting it covered under warranty?
rwshelburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwshelburne View Post
Bluejay40
I have EXACTLY the same issue in my 330RSTS fridge and the same dent in the door.....first time I thought maybe we had failed to lock it and had the dent repaired using paintless dent repair...got about 90-95% of the dent out. Next trip, double checking the latch the door came open again and again dented the door. Can jiggle the door and the latch will come open. How did you come out with the dealer and getting it covered under warranty?
Actually, we have dents in both doors. The freezer door was dented upon delivery so that one was approved for replacement right away. When I reported the refrigerator side door dented because of the latch, the service tech at our dealership gave me that "I don't think they are going to approve this" look. It wasn't until I actually demonstrated how the latch will literally unhook itself by jiggling the door a few times, did he change that "look". He took a video of it and submitted it to Jayco. They are now going to replace both doors under warranty. Supposedly, they were ordered back in April when I took it in for work, but I suspect they forgot to order them because they just asked me for the make/model number AGAIN after 3 months have passed. But anyway, I was told they are going to replace both doors under warranty.

But going forward, I will never be able to trust that latch again and will always make sure I strap the door handles together with not one but TWO Velcro straps to ensure they don't do that again.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #14

Thanks

Thanks....I already have a video showing the latch coming undone by simply jiggling the door. I will be visiting the dealership upon my return from my current trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Actually, we have dents in both doors. The freezer door was dented upon delivery so that one was approved for replacement right away. When I reported the refrigerator side door dented because of the latch, the service tech at our dealership gave me that "I don't think they are going to approve this" look. It wasn't until I actually demonstrated how the latch will literally unhook itself by jiggling the door a few times, did he change that "look". He took a video of it and submitted it to Jayco. They are now going to replace both doors under warranty. Supposedly, they were ordered back in April when I took it in for work, but I suspect they forgot to order them because they just asked me for the make/model number AGAIN after 3 months have passed. But anyway, I was told they are going to replace both doors under warranty.

But going forward, I will never be able to trust that latch again and will always make sure I strap the door handles together with not one but TWO Velcro straps to ensure they don't do that again.
rwshelburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #15

End result was that both doors were replaced under warranty as well as a new latch. Explanation of why it happened was that the latch was improperly installed - the freezer door "catch" was a bit too high for the latch to engage fully/properly. The new latch seems to work MUCH better than the original and I can no longer "jiggle" it open. Regardless, I will continue to use my Velcro straps just in case.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #16

Great news, glad the dent is gone.