Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Roof Repair and Replacement Links/Info

I'm a real believer in EPDM membrane roof systems and, based upon building roof experience, do not believe that aftermarket roof sealers/coatings are necessary in spite of the marketing hype. That said, most of my roof experience has been with commercial building roofing systems. Lately I do have more and more RV roof experience, but admittedly not that not much as compared to commercial buildings.

Some of the comments here about RV roofs becoming thin prompted me to research whether there is a difference in EPDM products between commercial building roofs and RV roofs.

I didn't find a definitive answer as to whether there is a substantial difference in membrane type. I suspect that RV roof membrane may be thinner than commercial roof membranes because light weight is often mentioned for RV applications.

I did find some information which may be of interest to others.

Here's some links.

First the ever recommended Dicor Products information site. There are a number of links on the left side of the page.
https://www.dicorproducts.com/catalo...ubber-roofing/

This is a great reference for DIY info. It should be particularly helpful for anyone planning to replace an RV roof.
EPDM Rubber Roofing

EPDM Adhered Roofing Installation Information:
EPDM Rubber Roofing

Some of the RV specific links that are included in the above.
How to repair a RV roof
http://www.bestmaterials.com/cacltem...M-RV-Roof.aspx
http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Fil...eplacement.pdf
Video Movies for Repair and Installation, DIY

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #2

I replaced the bathroom vent fan with a Maxx Air with remote control. While removing the old fan from the hole, I was surprised at how "thin" the roof material is. It's definitely not the rubber type that you see on commercial buildings. I'm not exactly sure what this stuff is, but would like to know for the sake of how to repair it if the time comes I need to. Couldn't find anything about it on the Jayco site. this is a real light tan color.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote