Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Unhappy RV Roof Repair - Jayco Jay Series 1007 Pop Up

So I did something really stupid this weekend. I put a small hole in my pup roof today.
I have a 2008 Jayco Jay Series 1007.
I'm looking to take it by the local Camping World to look at repairing.
Is this right move or should I take it somewhere else?

The local Jayco dealer doesn't answer their phones and service is questionable.

I'm very upset since we just bought it this year.

What kind of cost would I be looking at for this?

It about 2" long and 1/4" wide.

I appreciate your support.

Thanks,
Mike
micklouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

A picture would help.

Just to verify, on the hard top or canvas? How concerned are you that it looks pretty and original?

If you are just interested in keeping the weather out then a hard top patch with roof mesh and sealant can be very effective. Some people might recommend overlaying the patch with Eternabond tape.

Some information and a picture of a mesh/sealant repair on a plastic A/C cover is here.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...467#post158467

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Here are some pictures of the damage.Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole #1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	10399Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole #2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	10400
Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micklouie View Post
Here are some pictures of the damage.
Thanks.

My opinion. Except for cosmetics, I wouldn't hesitate to repair that with mesh and Dicor Lap Sealant.

One method of finishing it off would be to follow the patch with an overlay (circle or oblong?) of vinyl siding material glued into place with Lap Sealant or a carefully cut piece(s) of Eternabond tape. That would just be for cosmetics as the mesh patch will provide both durability and weatherseal.

I'm certain there are many other repair methods which could be used. A professional repair on that plastic will likely be higher in cost than you anticipate. vic
Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

I have used JBWeld very successfully for years. Clean up the tear with a dremel and get out all the loose debris. Under cut the edge of the tear with the dremel. Fill the hole with the JBWeld and you're good to go. You can stop there or finish the repair with the repair tape mentioned above. It is supposed to be for temporary repairs, but I have heard of many who have used it for permanent repairs and even reinforce seams with the tape. Its really good stuff.

JBWeld likewise works. Have personally used it to patch a broken seam in a gas tank bottom on an old Ford tractor. That was 12 years ago and its still working.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

My concern is the final look of the patch. I didn't buy a new coleman because of a bad patch job the person did.

Do you think a Camping World would be able to 'make it go away' patch?
I want to keep the resale value good.
I don't want to attempt my first patch and really screw it up.
With no experience in this field I would rather not try to do that.

I work in the building industry and too many times do I see do it yourselfers really mess up building a new house.
Leave to the contractor that's their profession.

Thanks for your advice and help,
Mike
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with posters above.
That would be a DIY repair in my book.
If it were me I'd squirt some Dicor lap sealant along the tear and cover with about a 4" square piece of Eternabond.

I think all the methods mentioned would work. Those are just materials I commonly have on hand and I'd be done in 15 minutes.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micklouie View Post

I work in the building industry and too many times do I see do it yourselfers really mess up building a new house.
Leave to the contractor that's their profession.

Thanks for your advice and help,
Mike
Gee. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Since you asked... Again, just my opinion. There are many RV repair shops who will repair that for you. Given the pebble finish of the material it will take a very skilled professional to truly "make it go away". You may be disappointed with the results if your expectations are too high.

I doubt that the small repair patch methods as proposed here will truly affect the resale value of a 2008 travel trailer. It will soon be over 5 years old. Some wear and tear is expected especially when you explain that "This XXX dropped on it and made the hole. I felt terrible. It was minor damage, not a structural flaw.".

Have fun. vic
Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

I agree with above being as I have bought 2 used campers, everyone is gonna have smalle damages here and there. since its on the roof th only time you are actually gonna see it is when it is collapsed, as long it is sealed and id say fix it your self.
I have a autobody certification, and I can guarantee you the body shop at my dealership wouldn't gaurntee a tecture match. I have all kinds of hail damaged to the roof of my new used camper and im gonne to clean it out and use 3M marine sealant in the small cracks then paint over top
Atrango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #10

I did the same with my pop up... But it was the size of an inch. Dropped some Dicor on it and placed a Jayco decal over top of it.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #11

has anyone tried using this? http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ca...214-c-7937.htm
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #12

A 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, Dicor splits and cracks.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #13

Massive hailstorm came through here a couple weeks ago. I have about 20 holes in the roof of my 2005 Jay Series 1007 that look a lot like the ones in Micklouie's pictures. Seems like if a repair is good for one hole it should be good for 20 of them. I'd really like to avoid the cost of a roof replacement. Anybody have experience with that many holes?

Thanks!
hailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailman View Post
Massive hailstorm came through here a couple weeks ago. I have about 20 holes in the roof of my 2005 Jay Series 1007 that look a lot like the ones in Micklouie's pictures. Seems like if a repair is good for one hole it should be good for 20 of them. I'd really like to avoid the cost of a roof replacement. Anybody have experience with that many holes?

Thanks!
I agree that it should work, but I haven't done it.

There is some discussion here about EPDM Rubber Coating.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...tml#post303780

Perhaps that would be an answer, or perhaps some of the other discussion in the thread will help to give you a direction.

vic
Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #15

I had a bunch of hail damage to im 1990 jay series 1006, some of them we bad enough to split the aluminum, I just filled them in with dicor self lvling and let them dry, then we had some pretty massive rainstorms all week and it didn't leak. I am most likely gonna try the product I asked about about over top of it.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #16

Eterna bond tape is another option. If you want the repair to be "invisible".thats another kettle of fish.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrango View Post
I had a bunch of hail damage to im 1990 jay series 1006, some of them we bad enough to split the aluminum, I just filled them in with dicor self lvling and let them dry, then we had some pretty massive rainstorms all week and it didn't leak. I am most likely gonna try the product I asked about about over top of it.

I have used Dicor on a 1" patch last year. Lots of rain since then and no leaks. Just drove 4500km in some heavy rains. No issues