Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Sat Dish

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Good or bad? Does this seem to be an OK price?

Thanks for any feedback...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...&CWID=&rewrote
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #2

I'm going to watch this thread with interest. We looked at this sat dish while at CW one day. Don suggested we wait to read up on them and check reviews. He was concerned that it may not work as well because of the smaller dish.

I just read the reviews at the above site you posted. Looks pretty favorable for the most part. Be interesting to see how it works for members here at JOF
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

I jumped big time and bought the Carryout automatic dish & love it. It is so much easier than the manual setups, literally plug & play. I spent $675.00 with tax.
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

I had the same thing you were looking at leroy and I took it back I couldnt get it to work to save my life the only way I am ever going to do sat again is to do what 82 corvette did.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

I have friend with one. The plus it is truly easy set-up and compact.

The minus is it only has one LNB, hits one satelite. For dish 500 you need 2 and for HD you need three. A good option for direct basic as they have most everything on one.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #6

I have read numerous good reviews, but remember it will only provide standard definition on DirecTV, not HD. It will provide HD with Dish however.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #7

Thanks Ed, I do have Dish as a provider. I am still on the fence with this model since I am not a full timer out in the CG. What also helps is that Dish has the pay-as-you-go package, on the surface it sounds like a good deal...
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #8

Bought One

So far we used it on one trip with Direct TV standard Def. Picked up a better compas at Cabelas and a signal meter on the web. Had no problem locking in to the signal with a little help from the internet. Bought mine thru Amazon for a slightly better price. Need to be within +-2 deg to work or so it seems.

Worked fine with rain storms etc. Thre is a web site that gives you a physical sigh line if you knwo where yo are going makes it prety easy to set up... Would really rather have the auto unit but I am to cheap .
If I were doing HD I would go with the high end units...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #9

We set up a DirecTV dish and get HD reliably, IF there is a line of site to the satellites; there really are some heavily treed RV sites that just do not have a line of site to the satellites.

It requires a bit of knowledge, a good satellite meter that can measure the Ka signals that carry DTv's HD service, and a good compass. It takes me about 15 minutes to set it up; most of this time is necessary to find the line of site and to get the mast of my ground mount vertical. It really is not a big deal, once you have it figured out. Now if there were a good, cheap automatic unit that receives DTv HD signals, I sure would buy one.

It's easier to get an SD signal than HD.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

I have a heavy duty tripod from http://tv4rv.com/. It comes with a very good compass and is very easy an accurate to set up. After moving this past Friday from my host camp site back to my home base, I set up my tripod installed the Slimline dish (HD), turned on my tv and receiver and had a 95% signal without any tweaking. This tripod system is that accurate.
I do have Dishpointer Pro app for my smartphone which allows me to find the holes in the trees when necessary.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
I set up my tripod installed the Slimline dish (HD), turned on my tv and receiver and had a 95% signal without any tweaking. This tripod system is that accurate.
It also shows that you are no slouch reading a compass...

Does the Dishpointer app have the capability to find a small "hole" that allows a signal? Does it work without a cellphone signal?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the kind words RVhiker. I almost need stronger glasses to read the small numbers on the compass.

I have never used DishPointer Pro where I didn't have cell service, but as I understand it, it uses GPS to determine where you are so it knows where to position the satellites in the sky. You are then looking through the camera on your phone and see superimposed on this screen the location of the satellites. You then just move around so you can see through a hole and see your satellite (101 in the case of DirecTV).

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #13

edatlanta,

I thought, though I'm not at all sure, that although it uses GPS to know where it is, it has to send that location information to some server somewhere which has to send back instructions on where to show the satellite positions on the screen. If it really works without a cell signal, I'm more interested in it; lots of times we are off in the deep boonies or down in a canyon where cell signals are non-existent.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #14

I'm a little late to this party but better late than never. I picked up a used VuQube 1000 last year for Bell in Canada (Dish in US). Light, small, and easy to use. Remote controlled to point the dish. With Bell in Canada, SD is on 1 Sat, and HD on the other. With the VuQube, once you find one, you can set it to one of the 2 presets, find the other and set to preset 2. If you want to change channels to one that's on the opposite preset, you hit the button on the vuQube remote, and it moves over to the sat.

Just downloaded Dishpointer for iPhone. Works great as it gives you a visual of the satellites. I just set my phone to Airplane mode, and Dishpointer doesn't work as it can't find your location. That may be similar to no cell service.

Dax.
Daxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
I'm a little late to this party but better late than never. I picked up a used VuQube 1000 last year for Bell in Canada (Dish in US). Light, small, and easy to use. Remote controlled to point the dish. With Bell in Canada, SD is on 1 Sat, and HD on the other. With the VuQube, once you find one, you can set it to one of the 2 presets, find the other and set to preset 2. If you want to change channels to one that's on the opposite preset, you hit the button on the vuQube remote, and it moves over to the sat.

Just downloaded Dishpointer for iPhone. Works great as it gives you a visual of the satellites. I just set my phone to Airplane mode, and Dishpointer doesn't work as it can't find your location. That may be similar to no cell service.

Dax.
So are you pretty satisfied with the cube then? Would you buy it again?

Mark
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #16

Yes..I'm very happy with it. I bought mine used for $150, and it works great. For that price i couldn't go wrong. In Canada, i can get a new VQ1000 for $649.99 from a Satellite Dealer. Not sure what the US prices are like. I would probably buy a new one if needed, as i think it's one of the cheaper units. The newer models (2000?) handles autoswitching between the 2 satellites i think. I previously used tripod and old 18" dish, but it was big and bulky. The Qube is small, and you can put it on the roof, or in the corner of your site, or on the box of the truck, wherever you need, with ease.

The odd time the remote loses connection with the cube, but comes back within 1-2 seconds. Line of Site from remote to the cube helps... Just note that it may not work for DirecTV in the US. I'm on Bell in Canada which is equivalent to Dish.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #17

I would save my money for a while and buy this. It is on my short list. I have talked to some folks and they say its a breeeze. Just tell it what state you are in and it does the rest. If you have Dish Network, this is the way to go. I currently use a tripod and a dish, but the Tailgater is coming soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-T...0574339&sr=8-1

HTH
2006 GMC Ext Cab 2500HD 4X4/6.0/4.10
RTR!
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #18

Ya, I saw that on the vuqube website. I hope they bring out a version for bell in canada. Would make setup even faster!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #19

Thumbs up Bird Dog Meter

I bought a used Bird Dog meter from E Bay, really makes set up very simple. Paid $200.00 for the meter. Sure beats listing for the signal meter and moving the dish.. Another good investment is a sturdy tripod.

BuckeyeJim
Columbus Ohio
10Eagle 322Fks
11 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #20

"Tailgater" is here now. Has anyone used this product on the road yet? I wonder if it works in Mexico?

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote