Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

satellite hookup questions

first off, I apologize for some of the redundant questions I'm about to ask. I know satellite hookup has been discussed to the umpth degree on this forum.

A little background.. Please pardon the long story

So the season started this past weekend for my seasonal site down on Cape Code. I attached the CG cable TV coax into my cable connection outside the trailer. I then set the TV's (main + bedroom) to 'cable' and ran the channel find scan on both TV's. I got about 25 channels which was the same I got with my old trailer on the same site. The quality is terrible as it was with my old trailer. So bad in fact, that I can't stand watching it.
I decided to see what I could get over the air, so I turned on the antenna booster and ran 'air' scan on both the main TV and the bedroom TV.. Results were less than optimal. I got 5 or 6 Boston channels as I expected.. I tried spinning the antenna to see if I could grab more channels, but that didn't help.
So now I'm thinking about a satellite system. I am currently not subscribed to any satellite company, so I have preference to either DISH network or DIRECT TV. I saw the DISH has some nice 'pay as you go', no contract plans, so I was leaning towards maybe trying it.

So I have questions hooking the whole thing up.

Would I be able to run both TV's with separate receivers using the current Jayco wiring? Or am I restricted to one receiver? Do both receivers need to be connected to the tailgator separately? (i noticed two coax inputs on the tailgator picture i saw)

Again, I apologize if this question has been asked.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

If it's anything like ours, you can only run one receiver through the existing wiring as there is one "satellite/cable" input on the outside of the trailer.

We are now looking into having another input installed on a wall near the bedroom. For now, we are going to simply run the second satellite cable through the window of the bedroom. Not ideal, but gets the job done.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
If it's anything like ours, you can only run one receiver through the existing wiring as there is one "satellite/cable" input on the outside of the trailer.

We are now looking into having another input installed on a wall near the bedroom. For now, we are going to simply run the second satellite cable through the window of the bedroom. Not ideal, but gets the job done.
Thanks... that's what I thought.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

IF your trailer has the power cable pulled through the wall you can run sat cables through that and have multiple wires in that way.. this depends on where the power cord comes in and how energetic you feel...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

The problem with many CG cable systems is they are only SD. The CG we stayed at back in Feb in San Antonio told me the reason was the cable company wanted them to get a cable box for each site in order to get HD. Their cable sucked too so I set up my Dish and did my own thing.

You can only run a single receiver thru the RV coax and send the same channel to both [all] tvs. I think the new tailgater [dish] can support 2 receivers but the older ones supported only one. A tripod mounted HD dish will support multi HD receivers.

I ran a separate sat input thru the wall of my White Hawk under the lavatory in the bathroom. You can get a coupler just like the OEM that came with the trailer for about $15 or less and its a simple installation. That input was fished up the bathroom wall again from under the lavatory and terminated on a dual coax connection plate. I now have receivers for the main front tv and a second one for the wife in the bedroom.

I recently purchased a winegard pathway 2x that is a mobile automatic sat antanee that supports 2 HD receivers and tunes to all Eastern arc and Western arc satalites. Direct tv mobile units are only SD. Since this is for a seasonal campsite, I would get a tripod or pole mounted HD antanee and get a tech or experienced friend to set it up for you Once tuned in you are good for as long as your are there.

The pay as you go plans are significantly more expensive than the full time plan. Switch to sat at home and get an extra receiver for the RV for a small monthly fee. Many find the pay as you go plans to be difficult to reactivate after letting it lapse.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #6

In my 5th, Jayco put the A/B jumper box in the bedroom. When I bought my Dish Tailgater, I wanted the receiver in the living room so I ran a new wire specifically for the living room satellite connection. The net effect is I now have a way to get satellite cable in the living room and bedroom if I wanted to have 2 receivers.

I have no need for 2 receivers, but I do have an HDMI wireless extender which I can use for the bedroom TV, second bedroom TV or outdoor TV so I have HD Satellite anywhere with only 1 receiver.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

I have a question. when you hook up your dish to the Sat/Cable inlet, how do you hook up you receiver? Do you disconnect the antenna cable and hook up there then run your HDMI cable to the tv?
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
The problem with many CG cable systems is they are only SD. The CG we stayed at back in Feb in San Antonio told me the reason was the cable company wanted them to get a cable box for each site in order to get HD. Their cable sucked too so I set up my Dish and did my own thing.

You can only run a single receiver thru the RV coax and send the same channel to both [all] tvs. I think the new tailgater [dish] can support 2 receivers but the older ones supported only one. A tripod mounted HD dish will support multi HD receivers.

I ran a separate sat input thru the wall of my White Hawk under the lavatory in the bathroom. You can get a coupler just like the OEM that came with the trailer for about $15 or less and its a simple installation. That input was fished up the bathroom wall again from under the lavatory and terminated on a dual coax connection plate. I now have receivers for the main front tv and a second one for the wife in the bedroom.

I recently purchased a winegard pathway 2x that is a mobile automatic sat antanee that supports 2 HD receivers and tunes to all Eastern arc and Western arc satalites. Direct tv mobile units are only SD. Since this is for a seasonal campsite, I would get a tripod or pole mounted HD antanee and get a tech or experienced friend to set it up for you Once tuned in you are good for as long as your are there.

The pay as you go plans are significantly more expensive than the full time plan. Switch to sat at home and get an extra receiver for the RV for a small monthly fee. Many find the pay as you go plans to be difficult to reactivate after letting it lapse.
Yes..I was checking the DISH 'pay as you go' packages, they are a bit pricey for the amount of time we'll use it. After my original post yesterday, DW spoke with the CG yesterday, and they are aware of the signal issue and are working on it with the vendor. Before I invest in any satellite system, i'll give them a chance to fix it.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Yes..I was checking the DISH 'pay as you go' packages, they are a bit pricey for the amount of time we'll use it. After my original post yesterday, DW spoke with the CG yesterday, and they are aware of the signal issue and are working on it with the vendor. Before I invest in any satellite system, i'll give them a chance to fix it.
Good luck with the CG but I wouldn't hold my breath. Still guessing it is only SD. The shape of the picture should tell you.

cg
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote