Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Satellite TV

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with dish network or direct tv in their RV. The seasonal campground where my TT is located provides cable, but the channel selection is very limited and there are no hdtv channels.
I see that RV rooftop satellite dishes are available, but was wondering how direct tv or dish network handle seasonal customers. Do they even allow it? I assume some sort of contract is required with satellite providers.

Any info would be appreciated.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #2

You bet, a contract is required. We have direct tv at home and I travel with a tripod and dish that i put up when we are stopped for any length of time. Just carry a receiver from home to do this so no extra charges.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

I just saw that Dish network offers 'pay as you go' service, so you can activate it for just the months you want with no activation fees or termination fees. This sounds like something I might be interested in. Of course you have to purchase the equipment up front, which can run about $450 for a 'tailgater' dish and 211 receiver. After that you can activate/deactivate as you desire. The plans go from $49 to $85 per month.

I'm reading horror stories about running the satellite signal through the rv wiring via the external 'input' coax connector located on the outside of the rv. Do Jayco's come with separate connections for both cable AND satellite?
Are the dishes plug and play through the rv pre wiring? People have said internal splitters (inherent in most rv coax wiring) wreak havoc with the satellite signal as power to the dish is provided from the receiver via the coax.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #4

Horror story ? why ? Im curious since I was planning to use the external input ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Some rigs have a separate sat input and others use the same one. It's no horror story, just learning how it works.

Do some searching on here and elsewhere and you will get loads of info.
The direct tv setup is more expensive if you purchase the automatic dish than the Dish one. Also Direct is more expensive to get HD channels.

Many friends I know that have roof mounted antennas frequently find that they don't work due to overhanging trees causing them to buy the portable antenna.

I guess when you get hooked on it you can't do without it. We decided not to go to the hassle or expense.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

I use the Wineguard Carryout portable satellite dish I bought at camping world for about $150. Wineguard was very helpful when I called for help locking into the signal. I did a few practice runs at home. You have to have a clear unobstructed view (no trees) to the satellite. I have DirecTV service at home so I take the tuner with me when camping. It took a little while to get the hang of finding the satellite although it can still be a frustrating experience. I hook up to the camper outside connection no problem. When I finally find the satellite, watching satellite TV is fine. There are apps available to help with finding the satellite. You still need the over air antenna to get local stations or locate/tune into an alternate satellite.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Site Team

We use the Dish Tailgater and love it. The cheapest package is $39 we use the $49/month package. If you put your account in stand-by (account is still active and service can be turned on and off any time) will cost you $5 a month in stand my mode.

If we are not camping under any trees, I mount the unit on top part of the TT's ladder. I have a bike cable lock that we use. and I bungee it to the top of the ladder.

The unit plugs into the TT's exterior cable connection. There is a jumper in the media center that you have to change for Satellite signal. You also turn off the TT's TV antenna amplifier.

I would not purchase a roof mount unit as you will also need a tripod dish for those campsites with overhanging trees (about 50% of the time)

Never had any issues with it

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

I did various google searches on the subject. That's where I saw numerous reports of the hassle/issues when running the signal through the RV coax setup. I was thinking either the King Tailgater or the Wineguard 'automatic' signal seeking dish, along with one or two Dish 211z receivers. I don't have satellite at home, so I'm thinking the 'the pay as you go' would work nicely for me. Use it for the 5 month season, then pack it up for next year.

I'm hoping the RV show in Boston has some satellite systems on display this year so I can get a good look at available systems and ask questions. If I find it cost prohibitive or a hassle, I may just stick with the campground provided non HD cable service along with a Roku stick for HD streaming as the free wifi at my site is pretty good. I have no issues watching programming on my ipad with the free wifi, so I'm hoping the signal would be good enough for the Roku. If not, I was thinking using my phone as a verizon hot spot and stream data that way.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I have no issues watching programming on my ipad with the free wifi, so I'm hoping the signal would be good enough for the Roku. If not, I was thinking using my phone as a verizon hot spot and stream data that way.
Some of the CG's are getting smart and are finding out that they can block a lot of the video/audio streaming sites at their routers (NetFlix, Amazon, Pandora....). Just a matter of time before that catches on.

Unless you have an unlimited data plan, using cell services to stream video can be expensive.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #10

Yes, it's probably a matter of time until they catch on. We'll see what happens when I check out the satellite systems at the RV shows.