Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Sealant for Alpha Ply roof

Hi all,

According to Jayco's website, my new 2013 Jayflight has a Alpha Ply roof. According to Dicor, their traditional self leveling lap sealant is not compatible, and they recommend their new Ultra Sealant for these new formulation TPO roofs. I'm having a hard time finding anywhere online that sells the stuff though.

What sealant have you guys used on your Alpha Ply roof, and where did you buy it?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried you local RV dealer?
Have you tried to send a message to Dicor?

I called Dicor.

They recommended one of their distributors Coast 1-800-495-5858
Tell them where you live and who closest to you has the Dicor Ultra Sealant in stock.

They said also call your local Camping World if you have one.

Hope this helps,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

I was wondering about my "textured" light-gray rubber roof, as opposed to the slick white rubber roof on my previous 2010 Jay Flight. After reading this thread I contacted Jayco and asked (none of my owner docs said whether it was EPDM or Alpha-ply). Below is their reply.

Thank you for contacting Jayco. Your rubber roof is Alpha-ply made by Alpha Systems. We do not use Dicor, we use the sealants that Alpha recommends except for around the skylight we use Quad sealant due to the material used on the skylight. Below is from Alpha' on line site: alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

RECOMMENDED REPAIR METHOD FOR ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF SEALANT

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.

Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.

Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.

To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing caulk and may weaken plastic parts that are present on the roof.

In the back of your owners manual under maintenance is a section showing all areas that are to be sealed and information on the type of sealant used. Your Jayco dealer is your best source for purchasing aftermarket product.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

... wasn't able to find out about the sealant, but found some info on Alpha Ply. I'm going to include it in this post as JPG's, because that's all I could save it as. hope it's will be big enough to read

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpha Ply RV Roofing_Page_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	6690 Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpha Ply RV Roofing_Page_2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	6691

It looks like a fantastic product. 60% rubber / 40% plastic, lighter than EPDM, DOESN'T CHALK !!,
12 year warranty, easy clean.

Edit: I checked the images after posting and I could read them - just barely. I think you can save them as images and enlarge them for easier reading.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Now you have me wondering what type roof my 2012 32TSBH has. The info is in my TT 250 miles away.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #6

Sealant for Alpha Ply roof

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
I was wondering about my "textured" light-gray rubber roof, as opposed to the slick white rubber roof on my previous 2010 Jay Flight. After reading this thread I contacted Jayco and asked (none of my owner docs said whether it was EPDM or Alpha-ply). Below is their reply.

Thank you for contacting Jayco. Your rubber roof is Alpha-ply made by Alpha Systems. We do not use Dicor, we use the sealants that Alpha recommends except for around the skylight we use Quad sealant due to the material used on the skylight. Below is from Alpha' on line site: alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

RECOMMENDED REPAIR METHOD FOR ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF SEALANT

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.

Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.

Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.

To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing caulk and may weaken plastic parts that are present on the roof.

In the back of your owners manual under maintenance is a section showing all areas that are to be sealed and information on the type of sealant used. Your Jayco dealer is your best source for purchasing aftermarket product.
For self-leveling applications on Alpha-ply, Alpha Systems recommends 1021 - High Solids Self-Leveling Sealant. 1010 is for vertical applications.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

As I can't seem to locate the Alpha Systems sealant, I called Alpha Systems to perhaps order some, and they don't really sell retail but I could get some if I wanted to order $50 worth. Way too much for me. The lady I spoke with did say that for the Alpha-ply membrane that the Dicor sealant would work just fine and easier to obtain. The only weird reaction the Dicor has is w/ their Alpha-flex membrane, which she said was purely cosmetic causing an initial bubbling that would go away when the solvents evaporated. I do have the Alpha-ply membrane so I think I will just go w/ Dicor, as it is easily available. Just an update and FYI.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
The lady I spoke with did say that for the Alpha-ply membrane that the Dicor sealant would work just fine and easier to obtain. The only weird reaction the Dicor has is w/ their Alpha-flex membrane, which she said was purely cosmetic causing an initial bubbling that would go away when the solvents evaporated. ...
That situation sounds similar to the thread about Geocel ProFlexRV Instant Roof Repair when used with EPDM.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...highlight=epdm

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #10

If interested this place can get three types of Alpha sealant, 1010, 1015 and 1021. http://www.apachevillagerv.com/searc...alpha&x=9&y=22 You may want to contact them directly though, as the online shopping system is a bit messed up, it has the wrong weight for these and tries to charge a ridiculous shipping rate.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

Mikefos, did you use the Dicor on your roof? How did it work out for you?
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #12

I used Dicor Green and it worked well. I even called alpha systems and they said it was fine.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by my toys View Post
Mikefos, did you use the Dicor on your roof? How did it work out for you?
I used a small amount over the existing self-leveling sealant on the seam between the front cap and roof and it worked well. I have not put any directly on the roof membrane yet. I will be giving my roof seams a good review in the next month or so, and I expect to perhaps have to use some then along w/ the Proflex RV caulk I have.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #14

My 2014 whitehawk has the alpha roof so I'll be going on the search for a supply of sealant so I'll have some when I need it.

Am thinking about buying a roll of the RV repair tape [forget the name] that forums have noted is used for many as a permanent repair of tears etc. Can it be used on the Alpha roof?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip....... Am thinking about buying a roll of the RV repair tape [forget the name] that forums have noted is used for many as a permanent repair of tears etc. Can it be used on the Alpha roof?
Yes, "EternaBond" sealer tape can be used on a Alpha brand roof. Along with a tube of Dicor caulking, I also carry a roll of EternaBond tape in my TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #16

Hey RightYouAreKen-The pic of your TV and TT looks real good! I pick up my 2014 24FBS in a few weeks. How do you like yours so far and what mods have you done to it? Any recommendations of things to check when I pick it up or things to watch for when I start using it? My TT is a 2009 5.4 3.73 F150, 163" with tow package and I have ordered an Equa-l-izer 1K. You said earlier that yours pulls real good. What kind of mileage are you getting? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for your advice.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote