Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Shock Absorbers

My 2011 Jayco 28.5RLS superlite fifth wheel did not come equipped with shock absorbers. I guess that some Jayco trailers do? Or not? Has anyone ever added shock absorbers to your trailer, and were you pleased with the effect? Did it seem that the trailer rode better, were the trailer contents less bounced around?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
My 2011 Jayco 28.5RLS superlite fifth wheel did not come equipped with shock absorbers. I guess that some Jayco trailers do? Or not? Has anyone ever added shock absorbers to your trailer, and were you pleased with the effect? Did it seem that the trailer rode better, were the trailer contents less bounced around?
I was concerned that our 5th wheel didnt come with shock absorbers too. The mounts are there so I asked the dealer and they called the factory and they said there was no shocks listed for my model. But after 8,000 miles of towing this summer the shock thing doesn't seem to be a problem. The mor-ride suspension works really well. So with that said if I do find the right shocks I will still install them but if not its not a big deal.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

If you've got the mounts - both upper and lower - then you've almost got it made. Here's a link to some trailer shock absorbers:Dexter Shock Absorbers. If you are interested in this, I'd suggest you call Dexter with your axle numbers and verify those are the right absorbers for you.

I don't have the mounts, or it'd be easy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would venture to say that most of the Jayco TT's don't, but possibly the heavier FW's might.

Here is a JOF thread link that may provide some info if you decide to add shocks:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=shock

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
If you've got the mounts - both upper and lower - then you've almost got it made. Here's a link to some trailer shock absorbers:Dexter Shock Absorbers. If you are interested in this, I'd suggest you call Dexter with your axle numbers and verify those are the right absorbers for you.

I don't have the mounts, or it'd be easy.
Thanks for that link. I was looking for shocks and couldnt find the right ones but I am a computer and internet illiterate so I gave up. Thanks again

I guess if you want shocks you will need to get the welder out.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Here is a JOF thread link that may provide some info if you decide to add shocks:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=shock

Bob
Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that thread. My concern with this shock kit is that it requires drilling four half inch holes in the frame; I wonder if that would weaken the frame in any significant way?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

Check your clearances between the frame and tires. I have mounts but no where near enough room to put a shock even if I wanted to. I would spend the money on balancing your tires first if you have not done so already. The Mor Ryde really does a good job.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #8

Our main issue with the trailer's ride is the two swivel rockers at the rear of the trailer; they get bounced around a bit.

I had the tires balanced when new (16000 miles ago - maybe they need it again?), we have a MorRyde pin box and the trailer came standard with the MorRyde CRE/3000 equalizers.

Thanks for thoughts about clearance issues, I'll make sure I check that.

Any thoughts about possible frame weakening from drilling 4 half inch holes in the frame for the upper mounts?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip......Any thoughts about possible frame weakening from drilling 4 half inch holes in the frame for the upper mounts?
My first thought would be if one is still under warranty, don't drill any holes for mounting shocks. On less thing to become an issue in the event of an unrelated warranty service claim.

I wouldn't have an issue drilling the mounting holes in my Eagle's I-beam frame as long as the 1/2" holes aren't located near the radius areas of the I-beam. If I had a "lite" model frame I would contact the frame manufacture before I pulled out my center punch.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote