Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
AoG

Shower Leak

The majority of my issues so far have been with the plumbing on our new North Point. The dealer gave me some bad information and, due to them not understanding the unit, they did not prep it properly. I will take the blame for not double checking everything.

Long story short, the shower backed up on its first use. After that incident every time we used the shower we would get a waterfall in the front storage compartment and it would soak under the sink and the floor area in the bedroom (it is opposite the vanity). After drying everything out I pulled some panels off from the front storage area. Turns out the back flow valve was turned inside out and there was a large plastic disk that was never removed from the PVC that prevented it from righting itself. Fixing this issue stopped the downpour in the front storage area every time we took a shower.

However, we are still getting a massive amount of water between the shower and the vanity, inside the vanity and in the bedroom. I can see the shower drain from the front storage compartment and verified that it is not leaking.

My thought at this point is that it is not the shower itself that is leaking but a line in or near the wall that separates the bathroom and bedroom. But the water line for the shower runs up the other side of the shower. We do not seem to get any leak when using any other water source.

I really do not want to do too many tests with is as it has already caused plenty of damage and takes days to dry everything out. Since we are full-timing I really do not have the option to just wait the month or two until someone can get me in for the warranty work.

I have searched through this forum and others but cannot find any direction to take. I apologize in advance if this answer is located elsewhere on here and I somehow missed it. Any and all ideas/suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks!
AoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #2

With a new unit I would be calling the dealer you purchased it from then the manufacturer. They might be able to point a mobile rv repair to you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:22 AM   #3

If I was full timing in that rig, I would set an appointment up with the factory and deliver it to there front door. They should have a campground where you can park it and live in it while they fix it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

What model and year is your unit?

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
What model and year is your unit?
Sorry, it is a 2017 North Point 387RDFS.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

If you bought it new, it has a 2 year warranty on it. Call Jayco and let them know what is happening and immediately set up an appointment with your dealer to have this repaired before you start getting mold building up in RV.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

Shower Leak

Hey water leaks generally mean mold,does your insurance cover it?I would take that puppy back to the dealer.And be real clear on the possible legal ramifications if you get ill.We own a property management company in Phoenix Arizona.No one messes around with mold here. Best of Luck let us know how you come out!
Attached Thumbnails
LP Cactus.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
If you bought it new, it has a 2 year warranty on it. Call Jayco and let them know what is happening and immediately set up an appointment with your dealer to have this repaired before you start getting mold building up in RV.
I actually contacted both the dealership and Jayco. Jayco was great about it and said they would fix the issue along with a whole laundry list of other issues under warranty. The problem is every authorized Jayco service center on the west coast where we are right now was booking out a month and a half. We purchased the unit in Mesa, AZ but we are in Northern CA right now and that is for the priority service network. I already have to go back through AZ in September for some work that needs to be completed from the purchase so I was going to have everything taken care of at the dealership. Unfortunately that means we are unable to use the shower until then. I was just hoping to be able to make the shower functional until I can get in for service.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Shower Leak

We are in Phoenix we bought our fiver in Prescott, Arizona Affinity RV. Being up north they slow down in September. There is a Federal Park there White Spar and is close to downtown.Attached is a pic of the Bradshaw Mountains south of town.Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Prescott 17snow.jpeg  
Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Our little one had a problem like that. Turns out the assembly folks did not apply any sealant to one of the glass panels. A tube of sealant and 5min and it was fixed.

To find the leaking area I stood on outside while wife sprayed water at all the joints. If it is a big leak it will be obvious where it is coming out.

Second thought, is it the shower connection? Two things. We had kitchen connections that were not tightened correctly. Easy to do those. But, I pulled the shower faucet as well to check those. Not as easy to get to. Second, I had one of the plastic 90deg joints crack and leak (mine was near the control panel so easier to find).

On mine the water pipes for the shower go straight up to the faucet connection. If they are wet underneath then you have a leak in the line between there and the faucet.

If all else fails just run new PEX lines.

Yes, it is a warranty thing. But, it is a real PITA for me to take the thing to a dealer. Unless Jayco will pay for a mobile service person to come to me and fix it then I will do it myself, if I can.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We are in Phoenix we bought our fiver in Prescott, Arizona Affinity RV. Being up north they slow down in September. There is a Federal Park there White Spar and is close to downtown.Attached is a pic of the Bradshaw Mountains south of town.Good Luck
Excellent, thanks. We moved out of Anthem to hit the road so Prescott isn't far from where we will be. Plus, we have friends in Prescott Valley we could stay with so that may be a very viable option. I very much appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Our little one had a problem like that. Turns out the assembly folks did not apply any sealant to one of the glass panels. A tube of sealant and 5min and it was fixed.

To find the leaking area I stood on outside while wife sprayed water at all the joints. If it is a big leak it will be obvious where it is coming out.

Second thought, is it the shower connection? Two things. We had kitchen connections that were not tightened correctly. Easy to do those. But, I pulled the shower faucet as well to check those. Not as easy to get to. Second, I had one of the plastic 90deg joints crack and leak (mine was near the control panel so easier to find).

On mine the water pipes for the shower go straight up to the faucet connection. If they are wet underneath then you have a leak in the line between there and the faucet.

If all else fails just run new PEX lines.

Yes, it is a warranty thing. But, it is a real PITA for me to take the thing to a dealer. Unless Jayco will pay for a mobile service person to come to me and fix it then I will do it myself, if I can.
I checked on this and after I fixed the back flow valve it was completely dry in the storage area. I can see the bottom of the shower from this compartment. I unscrewed 90 that comes off the bottom of the drain but there is no water in the area. This is why I was thinking it may be in or near the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. But the only water on the wall where the leak is is the sink. The shower lines are on the opposite wall from where the leak is. It is only coming from the area of the shower adjacent to the sink cabinet and in the bedroom adjacent to the area between the shower and the sink. I'm stumped. Think it could be an issue with the line that runs from the water heater to the shower? It is a tankless water heater. I don't know enough about the plumbing in these things.

I really appreciate everyone's input!
Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

Sorry, just noticed that you fixed the back flow valve.

Not sure what other water lines or connections you have up there. Maybe the water line to the toilet? Or does it only leak when taking a shower?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
AoG

Quote:
Sorry, just noticed that you fixed the back flow valve.

Not sure what other water lines or connections you have up there. Maybe the water line to the toilet? Or does it only leak when taking a shower?
It's only when the shower is running. And to make it even more strange, the leak is on the opposite side of the shower from the water for the shower. There has to be more to it, something I just can't see. I'm hoping to be able to make some time to pull the panels off underneath the wall area to see if I can see anything. It is at a storage yard for a couple weeks while we're staying with family. If I can get a day off work I'll head down there. I won't have much time and very limited resources (power, water, etc) so I really appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #15

Leak being on opposite side is not all that uncommon. Water will run down the first thing it finds and then 'creep' until it finds an opening. Especially if the pipe has a pinhole that is spraying water behind the shower enclosure. I am surprised you have not found any water in the compartment under the shower.

When trying to find a leak I will lay out some paper towels in all the suspect areas. You can tell if one has gotten wet because it will 'sag' a bit before it dries out. Tissue paper works too.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
AoG

Quote:
Leak being on opposite side is not all that uncommon. Water will run down the first thing it finds and then 'creep' until it finds an opening. Especially if the pipe has a pinhole that is spraying water behind the shower enclosure. I am surprised you have not found any water in the compartment under the shower.

When trying to find a leak I will lay out some paper towels in all the suspect areas. You can tell if one has gotten wet because it will 'sag' a bit before it dries out. Tissue paper works too.
Thanks again, just may try this. I attached a small picture of the layout of our bathroom and circled the location of most of the water (poorly, but I circled it). Everything points to the sink as the problem but there is no leak from the pipes above deck and it only leaks when the shower is running. And, since I fixed the back-flow valve, there is no leaking in the storage compartment, only in the bathroom and bedroom.

I will pull off the panels underneath to see if I can find anything. If not I will try the paper towel idea and run the shower. If I don't get anywhere with that I'll snap some pictures while the panels are off and upload them.

Again, I really appreciate your time and the help and ideas.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoG View Post
Excellent, thanks. We moved out of Anthem to hit the road so Prescott isn't far from where we will be. Plus, we have friends in Prescott Valley we could stay with so that may be a very viable option. I very much appreciate it.
We will be in White Spar to in October nice Federal park!Picture of the Bradshaw's late spring 2017!Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Prescott 17snow.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #18

Is it possible it could be shower enclosure/ curtain?These leaks would drive me crazy still under warranty?
Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #19

Search function.

This is my first post. Sorry if it is in the wrong area.
The SEARCH function does seem to function properly. As soon as I enter a topic, it disappears! What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Retread2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #20

It has to be the drain line. Probably where it ties into the sink drain line. Could be a wye that wasnt glued amd could have came completey off. If the shower drain has less fall to the sink the main drain line than the sink does it would leak when the shower is on but not the sink. And the shower puts out more water than the sink. Just my half educated guess. I own a plumbing supply business.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
robertopod is offline   Reply With Quote