Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #1

Silly question - power for boondocking

First time TT owner and I have a question. Have been browsing this forum (thank you very much) for suggestions and ideas. I have read alot about boondocking, dry camping etc. and the use of solar panels or generators to recharge batteries. Now if I were boondocking and did not have such things to recharge battery on TT, can't I just plug in my hitch cable that runs lights and start my TV for awhile? Wouldn't that charge the battery as it does rolling the down the road? As you can see, newbie and NOT mechanically inclined.
marshvegasmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

from what I understand, is you only get a trickle charge that way and it would take a few hours to get a decent charge that way. I sure someone with more knowledge will pipe in and I'm also curious for the correct answer. BTW... I see your from MA. What do you own and where did you buy it?

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #3

Oddly enough, we own a 2011 x23j that was traded in for what I believe was a White Hawk at Forrest Marine of Tyngsboro Ma.You wouldn't be familiar with the place would you?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Silly question

Lol, I bet you own my old trailer... I was the 2nd owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Silly question

Btw, if it is our old one... The 1st owners from the looks if it only used it once or twice. I peeled of the plastic on radio and microwave when I took ownership. And we bought it in April of 2012 on a whim, so only made it out on a few trips as our vacations were not as we'll planned as they are this year. If its got white wire shelves in the back closet, I put those in. Great trailer but I bought a new truck 1 month after getting the 23j and decided I wanted a bigger trailer to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #6

J, spot on! It is your trailer. Wire shelves and all. Wife loves the pantry and the shelves were a great idea. Can't thank you enough for keeping it so well tended. Didn't think it was out much at all considering the great condition it is in. We've had it out 3 times this summer down the Cape. We saw this model in 2010 at the RV show in Boston. After having a popup for many yrs we loved the idea of the dinette off to the side. Weren't ready to buy yet so went back to RV show in 2012 and sought out Forrest Marine again. Was disappointed to see Jayco went back to dinette in front of bunk. When we mentioned the 2010 model ironically enough, salesman mentioned he had one coming in on trade and was sure it would be in great shape. He didn't lie. Did you keep in in dry storage? If so, where? Don't have a garage and am not comfortable leaving it outside beside the house all winter. Another thing, have a 01 f150 with lots of miles on it. Will be looking to upgrade in the near future. What are the specs on your f150? And I believe that white hawk comes in weighing less the the 23j. Really, TT was in such good shape could not believe it was used at all. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Marshvegasmike,
How was Forrest Marine to deal with? They are the closest Jayco dealer to me and I will probably go to them when I decide to buy.
retiredff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshvegasmike View Post
J, spot on! It is your trailer. Wire shelves and all. Wife loves the pantry and the shelves were a great idea. Can't thank you enough for keeping it so well tended. Didn't think it was out much at all considering the great condition it is in. We've had it out 3 times this summer down the Cape. We saw this model in 2010 at the RV show in Boston. After having a popup for many yrs we loved the idea of the dinette off to the side. Weren't ready to buy yet so went back to RV show in 2012 and sought out Forrest Marine again. Was disappointed to see Jayco went back to dinette in front of bunk. When we mentioned the 2010 model ironically enough, salesman mentioned he had one coming in on trade and was sure it would be in great shape. He didn't lie. Did you keep in in dry storage? If so, where? Don't have a garage and am not comfortable leaving it outside beside the house all winter. Another thing, have a 01 f150 with lots of miles on it. Will be looking to upgrade in the near future. What are the specs on your f150? And I believe that white hawk comes in weighing less the the 23j. Really, TT was in such good shape could not believe it was used at all. Thanks again.
Thanks for mentioning the good shape. I like to show Pride in the things I own. Forrest didn't even have to clean it when I brought it in. I did not store it indoors and I thought about covers but decided after reading all the pros and cons that I would not cover it. I cleaned off the roof once or twice after snow but not all the way down as to not scrape the roof. Not sure if they told you... but I have that bumper reinforced to be able to put a bike rack back there. I have the receiver, if you want it you can have it. I found there is so much bounce back there that after putting the bikes on the rack you still need to strap the bikes to the bumper. I you want it, I know your on the south shore; I'm a firefighter in Somerville, you could meet me at the station and you can have it. Just let me know. Where do you camp in the cape? We go to Sweetwater Forest a few times a year. We also plan on being there columbus day weekend.

retiredff,
Forrest Marine is great to deal with. I would highly recommend them. In fact after buying my 1st TT there, I have sent my brother and a friend who have both purchased from them.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #9

jdorant,
Thank you brother (I was on the job in Newburyport for 34 years, retired last year).
I will go to Forrest Marine when we decide to buy.
Thanks again.
retiredff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

Back when we were showing dogs out of travle trailers (did so for 20 years) we were without hook-ups most weekends. We used a small generator to charge batteries. You don't need a huge gas hungry generator to charge a battery and there are specific models for that purpose. If we were back into boondocking I would buy a small generator for that purpose.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote