Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Solar Phase Two

After asking questions and reading a lot of threads and taking advice of the experts here I finally did it. Installed a Renogy 100 W panel - their so-called RV Kit. I'm working with a single 12V Trojan group 24. We are set up on our own camp, so we boondock 100% and the trailer is up on blocks.

First of all, let me say that this system is absolutely outstanding. Last year we used the generator several hours a day to keep the battery charged. I wanted the solar strictly to keep the battery charged during the week or 2 between visits. It looks like by mid-morning the battery is back to 100%, after an evening of watching TV, running the furnace etc., with the battery drained down about 30%. The way it looks I only need to run the genny during breakfast to power the microwave.

To say I'm satisfied would be an understatement.

Anyhoot, only 1 question....
Last year I put a disconnect switch on the battery to eliminate the parasitic drain from the CO detector, etc. Should I continue to do that now? I realize the solar should keep the battery up. Is there a good reason for leaving the power to the trailer on, or a good reason to turn it off?

Obviously the solar is always on...
The trailer will never be towed and I don't need to monitor the CO if I'm not there.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #2

I still do, thinking that with zero draw on the batteries, the controller will sense the full charge and go into float more. I also don't like having 100 amps of DC power ( fuse) available back to the power panel inside the 5er when I'm not there. Just in case.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Here is a snap shot of my configuration

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...cture2283.html
Attached Images

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
I still do, thinking that with zero draw on the batteries, the controller will sense the full charge and go into float more. I also don't like having 100 amps of DC power ( fuse) available back to the power panel inside the 5er when I'm not there. Just in case.
I'm not quite following you. You still do turn power to the trailer off? Is going into float more a good thing? Where is the 100 amps of DC coming from?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post

Anyhoot, only 1 question....
Last year I put a disconnect switch on the battery to eliminate the parasitic drain from the CO detector, etc. Should I continue to do that now? I realize the solar should keep the battery up. Is there a good reason for leaving the power to the trailer on, or a good reason to turn it off?

Obviously the solar is always on...
The trailer will never be towed and I don't need to monitor the CO if I'm not there.
Well, let me welcome you to RVing with SOLAR (this is a link to the Jayco Community SOLAR forum, join the Community). Disconnecting the TT from the batteries is more or less a personal preference. If you feel safer, disconnect the TT from the batteries when it is not being used.

I installed SOLAR on our TT 2 years ago, and have not turned the SOLAR off, or disconnected the TT from the batteries. While the TT is parked next to the house, when it is not being used, I do not hook it up to my shore power outlet. Everything is working fine and the batteries are always fully charged.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

I always use the disconnect switch when I leave the Trailer, turning off DC power from the batteries feeding back to the power distribution center in the trailer.

Even though the only draw is from the radio and CO2 sensor, the full 100amps of DC power could be pulled should something short out.

The 100amps is the limit of the fuse between the battery array and the power center. So lets say that something shorted out between the Positive and negative cables - it will pull 100amps of 12VDC before the fuse blows.

I just think that's a fire risk that not worth it

I do leave the solar panel turned on - charging the battery array

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Got it.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

I leave my batteries on all the time...never disconnect. The solar keeps everything charged.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote