Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Solar power and long term RV parks,

I want to install a Solar system on my 2015 28' Jayco Jayflight BHBE and Suggestions? I have a double Battery hook up, 2 - 12 volt system. Also I'm looking for a Long term RV park that's reasonable priced per month, Warmer climate preferred.
superdutyford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyford66 View Post
I want to install a Solar system on my 2015 28' Jayco Jayflight BHBE and Suggestions? I have a double Battery hook up, 2 - 12 volt system. Also I'm looking for a Long term RV park that's reasonable priced per month, Warmer climate preferred.
There are too many variables to just answer based on what you have provided. First thing you need to do is figure out how much energy you actually use. I would buy a clamp-on DC multimeter. Note: I said clamp on DC meter. There are many clamp on AC meters for low cost but that is NOT what you need. You need a clamp on DC meter. This will allow you measure current into and out of your batteries without breaking the DC circuit. You could also buy a dedicated battery monitor, something like the Trimetric 2025 with a shunt. If you are serious about solar and boondocking you will need this anyway. Once you have the ability to monitor your current usage, go camping a couple of times and keep track of "roughly" how much you use. Once you know that information you can start looking at batteries, panels, etc.
Here are a couple of good sources of info:
RV Electrical
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyford66 View Post
I will be paying $450\month with a 50amp service, fishing, store, laundry, and free electricity here in the Houston area. Is that warm enough for you?

A VERY general rule of thumb, (1) 100-125 watt solar panel per battery (100amph). How many batteries you need will be determined by what Dan stated in his reply.

Short answer: 500 watts of solar and 4 quality batteries will run just about everything except the AC with some self control.

Just keep in mind, your overall Cargo Carry Capacity. Very easy to hit or go over, once loaded.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

I pay $3900 for a 5 month season on Cape Cod (including 10% discount if paid by 3/1).. the season runs 5/15-10/15..So that's about $780 a month. It includes wifi,cable tv, sewerage. My site had metered 30 amp electricity which runs about $50/month during heavy summer A/C usage.
It also includes winter storage as I leave it there during the winter.