Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Stove top cover leans - any ideas on a fix?

I have the Atwood Wedgewood Vision 3-burner stove and I retrofitted the metal stove top cover that functions as a backsplash. Works great, looks good and I love it.

However the design is such that after some us it has started to lean forwards as shown in the photo. I will have to some up with a solution for this but before I did, I wanted to post this just to see if anyone else had the same issue and how they solved it.

Ex. 2010 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #2

Hi there, I can see by your picture what you mean. If it were me, I would buy a small package of aluminum corner braces from a hardware store. They come with holes drilled in them already. Get one that has a 90 degree turn in it, paint it black and attach it with a screw or rivet to part of the stove where the cover would line up straight when it's open. Drill a small hole in the arm of the cover the same size as hole in the 90 degree bracket. Now when the cover is open just put a small cotter pin thru the two holes. Hope this helps.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #3

Murphie,

Nice idea but I don't think it'll work. Just look at the pictures that have attached below. When the hinges close as you can see there's an angle there so the little right angle bracket that you're talking about will not be able to flip up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove cover joint.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5050
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L Vortec V8 6-speed with Power Pack Plus Package | Hypertech Max Energy tune
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

We have the same stove with the same problem with the cover that came with our stove. The only way I could see to fix it without putting a hook in the wall behind it was to very carefully bend the two tabs that stick up behind the stove (these tabs are the brackets which the cover hinges on) a little toward the back. That allowed the folded cover to balance with a slight lean toward the rear of the stove, and out of the way. It seems to work fine for us.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

My cover leans the other way, toward the wall. If you don't have stuff behind the stove top would your cover lean back further?

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
The only way I could see to fix it without putting a hook in the wall behind it was to very carefully bend the two tabs that stick up behind the stove (these tabs are the brackets which the cover hinges on) a little toward the back.
Thanks. That seems to be the easiest solution and one that can certainly be explored before putting other ideas into motion. I hope to have the RV in my driveway this weekend so I will try that fix at that time.

Tracy -- Presently the cover does not contact the stuff behind it and there is some room to lean back. It is just that, with the tabs that tinlizzie mentioned not bent, the cover does not naturally go back that far to contact the shelves behind the stove. Maybe after I bend the tabs they will but I would not mind that.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

It looks like someone closed the cover without sliding it up first and bent the lock tabs.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paflyfisher View Post
It looks like someone closed the cover without sliding it up first and bent the lock tabs.

I am sure there is no sliding joint on this cover. The instructions that same with it made no mention of this and there do not appear to be any lock tabs to bend. I have used this cover for several trips now and this functionality was never apparent. I will have another look this weekend when I have the RV home.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

wmoses - I think the lock tabs mentioned are referring to the slots in the metal sticking up that I recommended bending slightly. In other words, when the cover is in the folded position, you have to raise it slightly in the slots in order to unfold and flatten out on top of the stove. If the unfolding is attempted without raising the rear of the cover, the tabs can be bent. Hope this isn't too confusing.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote