Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #21

Earlier in this thread, rwshelburne posted a very detailed installation in about the only place one could be installed in the 330RSTS.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #22

Please let me know too. I am waiting to purchase one myself.
Betty&Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwshelburne View Post
So I said I would follow-up on my plans to install the 50 Amp Progressive Surge Protector in my 2017 Jayco 330 RSTS. I had thought about installing plugs on each end of the surge protector to make it easy to remove but opted not to do that. I found the best location to be behind the Breaker box underneath the coat closet.

I pulled the four screws from the cover of the breaker box and then remove the two screws that held the breaker box into the cabinet. What a mess of wires. I determined that there would be no need to disturbing any wires on the breaker box itself other than using the 6/3 50 amp wire which ran from the back side of the plug to the breaker box. I determined I would use that as the load line from the surge protector. You can see the mass of wires behind the box.

The two white junctions boxes that you can see just behind the wood on the floor were screwed to the floor in the middle of this area that I was going to utilize for the surge protector. I relocated them along with a grounding block that must have contained 15 wires or so.

In the above picture you can see where I had fished the 6/3 wire from the power plug hole on the outside of the trailer to area which the surge protector was to the installed. In doing that, I removed the 4 screws from the plug and pulled the plug out from the trailer. I removed the wires from the back of the plug at this time and just fished the new wire thru the opening and connected it to the surge protector as per the instructions leaving considerable amount of wire outside the trailer power opening. I wanted to leave enough wire outside to have enough wire to work with on the inside. After attaching the supply wire and the load wires to each side of the surge protector I then placed the surge protector to the back up against the baseplate of the wall. I was going to run the display up to the control box but found it was too deep to allow the door to close so I optioned to put it in the glass cabinet above the coat closet and to the far right. This was a nice spot as it allows you to see the display thru the glass door of the cabinet

To remove the back of the inside of the cabinet you need to remove two screws on each side of the cover and two screws that come up from inside the coat closet. I then just tilted the back just so I can access the chase that all the wire run thru. Behind the cabinet cover you will find the brains for you handy dandy remote. You can see the well placed hole where the wires run thru. I was able to put a fish tape from the top down the chase and hook onto the data cable for the display.

You can see this picture was taken after I had connected the power to the surge protector. Actually after installing the display and before adding power I mounted the surge protector to the floor in the back of the cabinet. I then went outside and pulled any extra wire out of the exterior wall where the power comes into the trailer. I left approximately 3-4 ft of excess wire when I attached the wires to the exterior plug. Once the wires were attached I pushed the excess wire back into the wall. I figured if I need to service the surge protector that the extra wire would be need to give me enough room to pull the surge protector out from cabinet. Before I buckled everything up inside I had to screw in the grounding block to the floor and I place that on the far left of the inside of the cabinet which would be on the left side of the circuit breaker box.

Sorry for not having take a few more pictures of the final resting place of the surge protector nor of the wiring on the outside of the trailer but I think you can get the jest of everything.

Overall I am very please with where the display mounted because the red illuminated display is nearly at eye height and subdued by the smoked glass of the cabinet yet easily accessible.

I know someone is going to ask how much 6/3 wire you will need I had purchased 10 ft which was sufficient to do the install.

Any questions of anything that I missed or confused you about please let me know.
Am I the only one that can't see any pictures ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Am I the only one that can't see any pictures ?
Don't know if your the ONLY one that can't see them, but your the first to infer that they couldn't! I see them in the original post and in your quote.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #25

I you do not what to protect a generator then on a 5er it is easier than that. pulling a converter looks like work. The cable for shore port goes into a cavity that has bend sheet metal from the wall curved to the frame and bolted or at lease on my 301RETS, Remove bolts and you can mount the unit of floor material, cut cable and terminate into unit. Then replace the 3/C#6 from the plug to the unit. In my 5er I will just drill a hole and mount the remote on a cabinet side. I found this space running a cable from my inverter to power up the TV without shore power. I have a generator and will mount mine to under the steps rear behind the basement wall and do the same thing to the Jayco installed transfer switch also on the steps frame.
I am not buying one until I get my solar installed.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Don't know if your the ONLY one that can't see them, but your the first to infer that they couldn't! I see them in the original post and in your quote.
I couldn't see any pics🤔
Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #27

No pics!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #28

I am reposting it for rwshelburne with the pics attached instead of imbedded in the hopes that those of you that can't see them, will now.

rwshelburne posted - I said I would follow-up on my plans to install the 50 Amp Progressive Surge Protector in my 2017 Jayco 330 RSTS. I had thought about installing plugs on each end of the surge protector to make it easy to remove but opted not to do that. I found the best location to be behind the Breaker box underneath the coat closet.

(See Pic 1)

I pulled the four screws from the cover of the breaker box and then remove the two screws that held the breaker box into the cabinet. What a mess of wires. I determined that there would be no need to disturbing any wires on the breaker box itself other than using the 6/3 50 amp wire which ran from the back side of the plug to the breaker box. I determined I would use that as the load line from the surge protector. You can see the mass of wires behind the box.

The two white junctions boxes that you can see just behind the wood on the floor were screwed to the floor in the middle of this area that I was going to utilize for the surge protector. I relocated them along with a grounding block that must have contained 15 wires or so.

(See Pic 2)

In the above picture you can see where I had fished the 6/3 wire from the power plug hole on the outside of the trailer to area which the surge protector was to the installed. In doing that, I removed the 4 screws from the plug and pulled the plug out from the trailer. I removed the wires from the back of the plug at this time and just fished the new wire thru the opening and connected it to the surge protector as per the instructions leaving considerable amount of wire outside the trailer power opening. I wanted to leave enough wire outside to have enough wire to work with on the inside. After attaching the supply wire and the load wires to each side of the surge protector I then placed the surge protector to the back up against the baseplate of the wall. I was going to run the display up to the control box but found it was too deep to allow the door to close so I optioned to put it in the glass cabinet above the coat closet and to the far right. This was a nice spot as it allows you to see the display thru the glass door of the cabinet

(See Pic 3)

To remove the back of the inside of the cabinet you need to remove two screws on each side of the cover and two screws that come up from inside the coat closet. I then just tilted the back just so I can access the chase that all the wire run thru. Behind the cabinet cover you will find the brains for you handy dandy remote. You can see the well placed hole where the wires run thru. I was able to put a fish tape from the top down the chase and hook onto the data cable for the display.

(See Pic 4)

You can see this picture was taken after I had connected the power to the surge protector. Actually after installing the display and before adding power I mounted the surge protector to the floor in the back of the cabinet. I then went outside and pulled any extra wire out of the exterior wall where the power comes into the trailer. I left approximately 3-4 ft of excess wire when I attached the wires to the exterior plug. Once the wires were attached I pushed the excess wire back into the wall. I figured if I need to service the surge protector that the extra wire would be need to give me enough room to pull the surge protector out from cabinet. Before I buckled everything up inside I had to screw in the grounding block to the floor and I place that on the far left of the inside of the cabinet which would be on the left side of the circuit breaker box.

Sorry for not having take a few more pictures of the final resting place of the surge protector nor of the wiring on the outside of the trailer but I think you can get the jest of everything.

Overall I am very please with where the display mounted because the red illuminated display is nearly at eye height and subdued by the smoked glass of the cabinet yet easily accessible.

I know someone is going to ask how much 6/3 wire you will need I had purchased 10 ft which was sufficient to do the install.

Any questions of anything that I missed or confused you about please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg   pic4.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #29

I can see I can see....praise the moderator..!

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #30

Pics really helped. Not sure about the new cable. I thought you could disconnect at the converter, insert the ems, and add a short wire back to the converter. Am I wrong?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty&Phil View Post
Pics really helped. Not sure about the new cable. I thought you could disconnect at the converter, insert the ems, and add a short wire back to the converter. Am I wrong?
Might be able to but hard to say until one actually gets behind there. I doubt Jayco left much slack back there.

So from what the OP wrote, it appears he wanted some extra slack to be able to pull the unit out and make things easier in getting it wired up initially while avoiding the rats nest of wiring already there as well as allow him to mount the EMS wherever he wanted in the space instead of limiting his options to the length of the stock wiring. I would probably do the same thing.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #32

On my north point 301rets there is enough slack in the cable to just cut the 3/c#6 black cable from in the basement rear wire/tubing area and run into the ems without alot of work.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #33

Shore power cable

I hope that is the same on our 330RSTS, but the installer in the same trailer didn't think so. Thanks for your post👍
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Might be able to but hard to say until one actually gets behind there. I doubt Jayco left much slack back there.

So from what the OP wrote, it appears he wanted some extra slack to be able to pull the unit out and make things easier in getting it wired up initially while avoiding the rats nest of wiring already there as well as allow him to mount the EMS wherever he wanted in the space instead of limiting his options to the length of the stock wiring. I would probably do the same thing.

Thanks again Blujay40. I doesn't look like a job I am willing to do without some help.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #35

I may feel there's a lot to do for this install. Hey you installed what I want to and the same model trailer. I couldn't ask for any more unless you were a neighbor of mine and could lend an assist 😊 Much appreciated 👍
Old 05-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #36

EMS-HW50C Installed 330RSTS 2017

Quote:
I am reposting it for rwshelburne with the pics attached instead of imbedded in the hopes that those of you that can't see them, will now.

rwshelburne posted - I said I would follow-up on my plans to install the 50 Amp Progressive Surge Protector in my 2017 Jayco 330 RSTS. I had thought about installing plugs on each end of the surge protector to make it easy to remove but opted not to do that. I found the best location to be behind the Breaker box underneath the coat closet.

(See Pic 1)

(See Pic 2)

(See Pic 3)

(See Pic 4)

I added 4 photos from my install at the end of my posting.
I can't thank you enough about the install details and photos. I hired an electrician to do my install, but I was his go-for. It was determined where the EMS was to be set. I used industrial velcro and placed it just inside on the left on the floor. The Jayco shore power cable was long enough or you wouldn't be able to get the breaker unit out. He used a 3 foot long 6/3 cable to go from the EMS to the breaker unit. So we didn't need to replace the shore power cable in this installation. Bored a small hole in the front left corner of the above cabinet's bottom shelf and ran the monitor's cable up to above the second shelf. I velcroed it on the left wall and a little out from the corner. Used stickie back loops to hide the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3270.jpg   IMG_3281.jpg   IMG_3267.jpg   IMG_3282.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #37

I should have mentioned that SO cable was used because it is more flexible. It really helped in a already crowded area behind the converter.