Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Switch in battery box?

Hello. They is a Blue Sea Power switch 6006 in the battery box of our Jayco.

Can anyone confirm if this is, or isn't, supposed to be the main battery cutoff switch? With my trailer unhooked from shore power, and not hooked to my truck either, I can turn the switch off and it doesn't do nothing. All 12 volt functions will work on the inside and outside of trailer. I can also pull 30amp fuse and everything still works...I though maybe the fuse might be for the 12 volt positive coming from the truck, but haven't dug that deep yet.

Only thing I can tell the switch does, If hooked to shore power and I turn the switch off, the Inverter doesn't charge the battery. Turn the switch on and the battery charge starts coming back up. Also it kills the power to the Schwintek inwall slideout if unhooked from shorepower.

So my biggest question is, is the switch supposed to kill all 12 volt power to the trailer, or just cut off the charge from the inverter?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Team

The inverter is not a part of charging your batteries. That is the converter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

Hey Sledge,
I'd suspect the wiring has been "modified", perhaps by a previous owner. Pulling the 30A fuse should isolate the battery from the TT except for the break-away switch for the brakes.
In your picture there appear to be 2 leads going to the terminal on the left (thick black wires) and another thick black wire coming from the right side terminal which also has the trailer brake and 30A fuse attached.
So, where are the left side wires going? I would expect to the battery but why are there 2?
Where is the thick black wire on the right going?
I would expect the black wire attached to the green wire coming from the fuse to lead to the main fuse panel. I think the orange wire would go to the break-away switch. Not sure where the thinner black wire leading down from the red junction box goes.
There's more knowledgeable folks on the forum that will probably check in on this.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The inverter is not a part of charging your batteries. That is the converter.
That was my fault. Should have used converter instead.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Being previously owned anything is possible. If it was mine I would draw up the electrical wiring, and figure out what things are connected to. Use some light colored electrical tape or masking tape on each end of each wire and note what they go to and from.

If it was mine I would not want to disconnect the battery when connected to shore power. I would want it disconnected when the unit is in storage mode.

It is possible they did not know what they were doing, and never used it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Hey Sledge,
I'd suspect the wiring has been "modified", perhaps by a previous owner. Pulling the 30A fuse should isolate the battery from the TT except for the break-away switch for the brakes.
In your picture there appear to be 2 leads going to the terminal on the left (thick black wires) and another thick black wire coming from the right side terminal which also has the trailer brake and 30A fuse attached.
So, where are the left side wires going? I would expect to the battery but why are there 2?
Where is the thick black wire on the right going?
I would expect the black wire attached to the green wire coming from the fuse to lead to the main fuse panel. I think the orange wire would go to the break-away switch. Not sure where the thinner black wire leading down from the red junction box goes.
There's more knowledgeable folks on the forum that will probably check in on this.

Your all over it....and I figured it out. 1 wire was on the wrong terminal. I also bought this new, so if anyone has messed with the wiring its been jayco or the dealer.

The green wire with the 30 amp fuse goes directly to the 12+ on the 7 pin hitch plug.
The Orange wire is for the breakaway switch.

On the switch, right side is battery side, left side is Accessory side. Big wire going to left is from the converter, little wire is to the Schwintek slide.....which explains why only the one slide didnt work with the switch off...also explains why the battery wouldn't charge with the switch off but everything else besides the 1 slide worked.

The big wire on the right side of switch is what feeds the rest of the trailer 12 volt power. The other short big black wire goes to the junction block for the breakaway, then on to the positive side of the battery. Not sure why they just didn't hook the orange wire for the breakaway to the battery side of the switch...coulda eliminated the junction block..but oh well.

So the hot wire that feeds the whole trailer 12 volt power was hooked to the same terminal that the hot wire from the battery was. So, I switched it to the accessory side and the switch works like it should now.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Being previously owned anything is possible. If it was mine I would draw up the electrical wiring, and figure out what things are connected to. Use some light colored electrical tape or masking tape on each end of each wire and note what they go to and from.

If it was mine I would not want to disconnect the battery when connected to shore power. I would want it disconnected when the unit is in storage mode.

It is possible they did not know what they were doing, and never used it.
Thats what I was after with the whole thing.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #8

It seems odd to me that the 30A fuse goes directly to the 7-pin plug and that the slide has its own wire coming directly from the switch.
I believe that pulling the fuse should have the same effect as turning the switch off (ie: isolating the battery from the TT).
I wonder if the distribution panel has a fuse for the slide. Perhaps the wire to the slide was added by your dealer or Jayco after discovering something wrong with the panel or wiring to the slide.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Well traditionally, a switch like that is a "total battery shutdown". However, you (the OP) mentioned the slide is inop with the switch off. Maybe the original owner was having trouble with the slideroom inching out while traveling, OR, maybe he had kids/grandkids that couldnt leave the slideout control switch alone. He might have wired that switch to the slideout power only. BTW --- some MHs (class C especially) has key lock switches to override the toggle switch for the slideout. This red disconnect could serve that purpose also.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwed94 View Post
Well traditionally, a switch like that is a "total battery shutdown". However, you (the OP) mentioned the slide is inop with the switch off. Maybe the original owner was having trouble with the slideroom inching out while traveling, OR, maybe he had kids/grandkids that couldnt leave the slideout control switch alone. He might have wired that switch to the slideout power only. BTW --- some MHs (class C especially) has key lock switches to override the toggle switch for the slideout. This red disconnect could serve that purpose also.
The op stated this is a new rig. Something fishy here! I don't think that switch pictured is a original equipment addition. Your dealer should be involved in this. I still don't understand how a PDI could have been done on this rig.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

I don't see anything fishy. I believe it's simply a wire that got put on the wrong terminal of the cutoff....everything will work the same either way if the switch is on...and I'd say it's never been turned off until I turned it off the other day. A pretty quick PDI was done. It wasn't a bad PDI but it was quick and any questions we had were answered. I never thought to check the cutoff....heck all it is is a 12volt disconnect switch right, it should work right (lol). Also we've had campers before, they all work pretty much the same....and we were just plain in a hurry to go try this new camper out!

Also, I see have no reason to believe it isn't a factory switch. Wire terminals are the same color and style that's used on the whole trailer. Screws holding the switch are the same as the whole trailer. The other couple HTs I looked at had a battery disconnect switch just like this one too....and I looked at a new 2015 just last weekend that had the same ole switch.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #12

The more I look at your pic Sledge the more suspicious I get. You even picked up on the oddity of the red junction box. Norty's comment about the switch not being original equipment seems valid.
If the fuse does go directly to the plug then it's protecting the TT electrical from your TV. IMHO its purpose is to disrupt the battery in the event of a catastrophic electrical short.
Is it normal for the converter to have its own lead back to the battery box? Isn't the converter part of or next to the distribution panel?
Maybe I'm overthinking this but it's starting to look like some "shade tree engineering" which would indicate it's not really NEW or the dealer had the new tech who said he'd had "loads of electrical experience" install it.
I don't think I'd have checked the cut-off switch to see if everything went dark.

Anyone out there with this model? Do you have the disconnect switch?

It just don't smell right.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
It seems odd to me that the 30A fuse goes directly to the 7-pin plug and that the slide has its own wire coming directly from the switch.
I believe that pulling the fuse should have the same effect as turning the switch off (ie: isolating the battery from the TT).
I wonder if the distribution panel has a fuse for the slide. Perhaps the wire to the slide was added by your dealer or Jayco after discovering something wrong with the panel or wiring to the slide.
You got my wheels to turning here, so I had to go check for the fuse in the box.

Yes they is a fuse in the distribution panel just for the schwintek slide. It's a 20amp fuse and the rest are 15...and yes it does work. Pull the fuse, slide no worky. All are labeled correctly too.Maybe the Schwintek slide requires a bigger wire and more juice...I dunno.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
The more I look at your pic Sledge the more suspicious I get. You even picked up on the oddity of the red junction box. Norty's comment about the switch not being original equipment seems valid.
If the fuse does go directly to the plug then it's protecting the TT electrical from your TV. IMHO its purpose is to disrupt the battery in the event of a catastrophic electrical short.
Is it normal for the converter to have its own lead back to the battery box? Isn't the converter part of or next to the distribution panel?
Maybe I'm overthinking this but it's starting to look like some "shade tree engineering" which would indicate it's not really NEW or the dealer had the new tech who said he'd had "loads of electrical experience" install it.
I don't think I'd have checked the cut-off switch to see if everything went dark.

Anyone out there with this model? Do you have the disconnect switch?

It just don't smell right.
My last trailer had a fuse for the 12volt+ coming from the 7 pin too. I didn't think that was odd....even my last 3 trucks have had fuses in them for the 12volt+. Your opinion is the same as mine on it's purpose.

I'm sure the trailer was new. The dealer had build 84 85 86 87 and 88 all like the same model, I got 87. At the time they had just been off the assembly line a few months.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #15

Here's a picture of a trailer like mine from a dealer in Iowa. Same ole switch I seen in all the HTs I looked at are in this one too. I even see the distribution block.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Hey if you're happy, I'm happy. I have had 3 fifth wheels and only one had a battery cutoff switch and it cut everything. Now mine has a 30a fuse for the slideout power in the battery box. Don't know why there would be a batt cutoff for the slides but I don't know everything. Just does not seem necessary.
In addition, it sure thru you for a loop there for a little while. I would not like that to happen on a new rig.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Hey if you're happy, I'm happy. I have had 3 fifth wheels and only one had a battery cutoff switch and it cut everything. Now mine has a 30a fuse for the slideout power in the battery box. Don't know why there would be a batt cutoff for the slides but I don't know everything. Just does not seem necessary.
In addition, it sure thru you for a loop there for a little while. I would not like that to happen on a new rig.
Like I said before, I believe it's just a case of 1 wire getting put on the wrong side of the cutoff. I switched it to the other side and it now cuts off the whole trailer as it should IMO.

Yeah it kinda threw my for a loop at first...didn't take me too long with a test light to figure out what was what...and I learnt a bit in the process so all is well.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Here is an easy way to solve the puzzle... send a picture, a description of what the switch does/doesn't do and your VIN to SERVICE@JAYCO.com and see what they say. They will tell you if it is a factory option, or a non authorized work-around. Either way you can't lose.

It doesn't look like a factory item to me...

If it is a factory installed switch they will tell you what it is supposed to do.

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #19

If you go look on Jayco's site under 2014 Eagle HT Standard Exterior equipment, its the 21st thing down. Battery Disconnect Switch.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

I'm gonna go to the storage today to run a little anti thru the water lines. S'posed to get several hours below freezing Wed night. If I can remember long enough I'll take a look at my switch and see what's there. Should be mostly similar even though I'm set up for 2 batts (only have 1 tho).
The Jayco pic pretty much says it's all original and that your take on the wire on the wrong terminal is spot on.
Maybe it was a Friday build

-SOLD- 2012 X23B