Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

tailgater from dish network

Has anyone purchased the dish network tailgater for there camper? if so any reviews would be helpful pros or cons.

Thanks,
joeortego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Have Dish at home so we bought a Tailgater for the camper and it is great. The only time we had problems is when were in Payson Az during the monsoons. We would lose it then it would come right back on. The clouds and rain were to thick for the signal. Other than that I think that it was one of the best thing we got for camping.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Team

We purchased the Dish Network Tailgater in May for our trip out west to CO. Performed perfectly. Secured it to the TT with a HD cable/lock, pointed south, turned it on and after it spent about 4 minutes automatically locating the satelltes, it worked like a charm. Will be using it again next month in south FL.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Have seen it being used by numerous RV'ers and all speak highly about it. I upgraded my RV system from SD to HD last Fall and went with a 1000.4 conventional dish mounted on a tripod. That dish comes with micro adjustments that really makes it easy to finetune for the strongest signal. I toyed with getting the tailgater and may still add one as another option next year. I went with the conventional dish for 2 reasons. I have been setting up and tuning the dish signal for many years since I use it on a houseboat [adjust every time you set up] and TT. Its not that hard with most of the set up time spent on getting the tripod level. The 2nd reason is that the tailgater will only support a single receiver. My dish can support a dual receiver so I can tune a different channel on the bedroom tv. We'll see how I feel after our trip south in a couple weeks. I only have a single receiver so the extra channel thing is moot this year. My plan is to receive local channels via the OTA roof ant so wife can watch network shows while I enjoy Swamp people or Life below Zero out front via the dish.

When we get home, I may be buying a tailgater but I may be forced to swap my dual DVR from the house to the RV when we travel. The swap is pretty simple other than marking all the wiring in my home ET center so I can hook it up when we return.

Think you will like the tailgater. by all accounts it works as advertised.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

How difficult are these to set up? My X23B has a satellite connection on the outside of the trailer. I just have the 1 TV so having the option of dual receivers is not important.
I have been less than satisfied with my OTA signals, herky jerky picture, losing the signal and back on again, very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks from a satellite "newbie".......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

Honestly, I just learned about these this week. You plug them in, turn them on, and after 3-5 minutes, you are watching TV. They auto-locate the satellite upon power up. You may have to change the setting on your receiver from Home to Mobile, but they are very easy to use.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

Wondering why they say the tailgater will only support a single receiver? A few years ago when upgrading to HD at home, the Dish installer swapped out my SD quad dish and installed ah HD dish that only supported 2 output ports. When I told him I needed 3 outputs because I used a dual receiver to support 2 main tvs and a single receiver in a bedroom, he showed me the splitter or switch he routinely used to send the signal to both sides of a dual receiver using a single coax input from the dish. He said that is how they are trained and how he has installed new systems for years. Guess he was correct, because it has worked perfectly ever since. So why can't you use the same switch to separate the signal to a dual receiver or two single receivers? Has anybody ever tried this?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

From what our rep told me.. its because of the single output. Since it is only set up to track one signal at a time, it can only support one receiver.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

From Dish website in the Questions & Answers section:

Quote:
Can I use multiple receivers with the Tailgater®?

No. The Tailgater® has a single coaxial connection to support one ViP 211k receiver. However, multiple TVs can be supported with shared viewing. The receiver's audio/video output can be sent to multiple TVs via HDMI, component +audio, composite or coaxial cable.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wondering why they say the tailgater will only support a single receiver? A few years ago when upgrading to HD at home, the Dish installer swapped out my SD quad dish and installed ah HD dish that only supported 2 output ports. When I told him I needed 3 outputs because I used a dual receiver to support 2 main tvs and a single receiver in a bedroom, he showed me the splitter or switch he routinely used to send the signal to both sides of a dual receiver using a single coax input from the dish. He said that is how they are trained and how he has installed new systems for years. Guess he was correct, because it has worked perfectly ever since. So why can't you use the same switch to separate the signal to a dual receiver or two single receivers? Has anybody ever tried this?
Your home system has multiple LNBs that is why you can use a switch to use additional receivers. What dish is doing is band stacking so all channels are available on a single cable up to the splitter at the receiver.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Your home system has multiple LNBs that is why you can use a switch to use additional receivers. What dish is doing is band stacking so all channels are available on a single cable up to the splitter at the receiver.
Ok, I understand that but dish HD requires multi lnbs to connect to multi sats to get all the channels. I'm assuming that the tailgater is also accessing at least 2 sats [maybe 3] to get full HD reception. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Any one have a tailgater who wants to do the test.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Ok, I understand that but dish HD requires multi lnbs to connect to multi sats to get all the channels. I'm assuming that the tailgater is also accessing at least 2 sats [maybe 3] to get full HD reception. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. Any one have a tailgater who wants to do the test.
How the tailgater and other "automatic" satellite dishes work is using a motor to reposition a single LNB to whatever satellite that is streaming the desired channel. This is very different than having 3 or 4 LNBs constantly pointed at all required satellites. When the receiver requests a channel it calls the "switch" in the tailgater or other dish setup and it repositions the reflector under the dome to point at the correct satellite. This is transparent to the user. For instance my Winegard unit (I have a 1518 and an in motion automatic) has two external connections which would allow either two receivers or a dual tuner receiver, however you can only watch two channels on the same satellite because there is only one LNB.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
How the tailgater and other "automatic" satellite dishes work is using a motor to reposition a single LNB to whatever satellite that is streaming the desired channel. This is very different than having 3 or 4 LNBs constantly pointed at all required satellites. When the receiver requests a channel it calls the "switch" in the tailgater or other dish setup and it repositions the reflector under the dome to point at the correct satellite. This is transparent to the user. For instance my Winegard unit (I have a 1518 and an in motion automatic) has two external connections which would allow either two receivers or a dual tuner receiver, however you can only watch two channels on the same satellite because there is only one LNB.
Thanks, I like to understand why some things work and others don't.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #14

Ready to Purchase

I am ready to purchase the Tailgater but I am confused just a bit.

Most of the units I see advertised come with the ViP211K receiver and everyone says this is what is required.

At Camping World, they advertise the Tailgater bundle with a Solo ViPz receiver.

What is the difference?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

We have the 'K'...the 'Z' is the latest new version.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #16

My parents have had theirs for a couple years now and love it. They are in their first year of fulltiming with their 5er. Very simple setup, face unit south, plug in coax cable, turn on box inside, enter zip code of CG and in about 5 minutes, TV is up and running. If you traveled outside your home area, you have to call dish to tell them where you are and they will adjust the locals so you get local to your location, as if you are too far from home the locals shut off.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin21 View Post
I am ready to purchase the Tailgater but I am confused just a bit.

Most of the units I see advertised come with the ViP211K receiver and everyone says this is what is required.

At Camping World, they advertise the Tailgater bundle with a Solo ViPz receiver.

What is the difference?
ViP211Z is the upgraded one, as was stated. Dish made the Tailgater to work best with the ViP211 series receiver. plug and play, easy setup. Sold a few, folks say they work great. Just don't drop the tailgater... had a few drive off with the system still on the roof of their ice houses and wanted me to replace them.