Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

why does jayco still use theese inacurate mechanical thermostats. I have a new designer and there is no way to know what temperature it is set at .You slide that lever to the left near a number that seems like a good temp like 75 or slightly above ,leave the trailer for the afternoon and return a few hours later and it's like a meat locker when you open the door or so warm you think you may not have switched it to air.
digital thermostats that are programable have been around for 20 years and are very accurate you set it at 76 and you get 76.
Did they have a warehouse full of theese mechanical units left from the 70s and haven't used them all yet or are they just lazy. I'm sure if they contacted any mfg. of thermostats they would build them a good digital unit that operated on 12 volts and tell coleman or dometic to keep there junk.
I just had a coleman-mach replaced under warranty and the part cost 65.00dollars twice the price of a 24volt programmable unit at lowes ,If this makes sense to anyone please explain. I would love to here it.

Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
The next time I pull the trigger on a mod it will be replacing the thermostat. I've seen thermostats that have a 9volt back up battery which is the one I think I'll get.

2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team
With our tt, we currently have the tt set at 74 degree's and our current inside temp is 77 degree's (it's 102 degree's outside). I have noticed that with our particular tt that the temp is within 2-5 degree's of what we have it set at. Usually, the temp is consistently higher than what the thermostat says, but no more than 2-5 degree's.... could we have a different thermostat than other tt's ?
Denise, DH, grandkids, and two rescue pups
-2016 Jay Flight 29QBS Elite
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt

CLICK HERE to save 30% $$ or more off your next Jayco RV
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Haul n it all,

Just a thought the heating is one system and the A/C the other system. You would need a two zone stat. I would look at Camping World for the right stat then shop around.
I know the thermostat are not the best choice. Mine has about a four degree swing. I might look to change mine out but I got the third degree at the dealer on my changes and Warranty issues. I told them I own the unit and I didn't change the issues of warranty.

Good Luck let us know what way you go.
Wayne & Marti ....Yogi the spoiled Dog
2012 Ford Lariat 4WD PSD Dually LB, Aux Tank 50 gal
2010 Designer 37 RLQS, 5th Airbourne w/Sidewinder
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Thats one Mod I'd luv to learn more about. Seems that the digital would be more accurate thus a more stable environment inside. A unit that would have inside temp readings would be even better.
My Other House Is A '02 Jayco 31FKS Designer TT
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #6

There are many threads that explain thoroughly the process to install a digital thermostat. Here is one source. It is a very simple process and works great.

1mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Ours works just fine JayFlight 22FB.
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Good thought
" Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
barrelslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
I did this mod and it works great!! It keeps the TT a more constant temp and with out the big temp swing before the AC/HEAT turns on or off.
You do need to be a little bit mechanically inclined because it is not a direct wire for wire transfer and you need to modify the thermostat and add a micro switch to control the fan speed (HI/LOW).
jayco32rls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Any suggestions on what model Dig Thermostat to replace Coleman Mach (AC & Heat) for Jayco 24T?

chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote