Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #1

This years addition: Tailgater

Every year I try to budget another larger addition to the camper. Last years Ice Maker for us is invaluable and we didn't need to buy ice at all! The previous year the Steady Fast system, again takes a lot of the shake out of the 5th.

This year, I just finished ordering the Tailgater from Dish. I had previously had a portable Dish antenna which I just stopped setting up because to me it was too much of a hassle to setup when we got to the CG, especially for those shorter quick weekend get aways. From all the reviews, the Tailgater seems to be a pretty straight forward setup. My mind is already racing in a million different directions where to set up the dish (on the roof, top of the ladder, top of the slide, on the ground etc)

For those who have this, or another portable automatic antenna, where do you place yours? My thoughts of up-high are to prevent theft as well as increase signal strength and minimize interference from people or their objects blocking the path.

My other project will be to install a second "park" hookup on the exterior of the 5th which runs to the living room TV. Jayco ran the Park connection to the bedroom which is fine, but inconvenient for this type of hookup. Fortunately where the living room TV is in the BHLT, I should be able to easily conceal the cable in the basement or through the adjoining cabinet / furnace area.

Looking forward to my first trip of the year to give this a try!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

I have a Winegard Carryout portable. Depending on our location, I put it on the ground or a small table. Never had to put it on top, but have seen them on top of one of the slides a couple of times. I think putting it on top of the RV would be difficult, at least for me. I'm not a young man any more!

I also purchased a small diameter, plastic coated cable from Lowes and made a security cable using small loops on each end and then attach it to the antennae and somewhere on my trailer with padlocks. Never had a problem yet, but if someone wants it badly enough, a set of bolt cutters would free it up quickly. My setup keeps the jokesters from running off with it on a whim. I also never leave the 12 volt DC cord attached, so it's not much good to anyone unless they order a new cord.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #3

Finally got all the components. I had wanted the 211K receiver for the RF out to feed the other TV's, but got the 211Z which has NO RF out. Because the remote is Infrared, I am going to install the receiver in the living room. But alas, Jayco put the satellite connection in the bedroom! Minor inconvenience, as I will simply install another external jack for a satellite connector in the living room. The design of the interior makes installation so simple in this model, it should look factory.

I got to test the dish out and it is SO EASY to use! In my test area, I am unable to see the HD satellite, but the other 2 are found very quickly! Can't wait to try this out at the CG.

Note to anyone ordering the Tailgater and a new 211 receiver. Test everything at HOME first. I needed to hook the receiver to my house dish for an initial software download, as it would NOT download it from the Tailgater. Once the software was downloaded, I hooked it up to the Tailgater and it worked perfectly!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

Completely finished now. Unfortunately Jayco ran the park cable / satellite connection to the bedroom TV, which may be fine for some, but not me. I put the Satellite receiver un the cubby under the radio and ran a new external jack. It came out perfect! Can't tell that this wasn't installed that way from the factory.

I also hooked up an external hard drive to the receiver and it turned it into a DVR! So pleased how it all turned out!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nylyon,

Feel free to start a new thread and post some pics/installation tips over in the "Jayco Mods" forum...., I'm sure it would be interesting to see.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Nylyon,

Feel free to start a new thread and post some pics/installation tips over in the "Jayco Mods" forum...., I'm sure it would be interesting to see.

Bob
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=195440