Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Tire rotation

On a single axle trailer with radial tires, should the tires be rotated? That would mean moving them from one side of the trailer to the other. Since teh passenger side tire sees more of the rough road at the edge than the other side, It would seem to even out the abuse to some degree.

If not why not.?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

You don't ever want to rotate a radial from side to side. That changes the direction, that will ruin the tire causes belt separation and then a possible blow out. My info is from the son who worked for a national tire company for a couple years.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabalin View Post
You don't ever want to rotate a radial from side to side. That changes the direction, that will ruin the tire causes belt separation and then a possible blow out. My info is from the son who worked for a national tire company for a couple years.
I spent 35 plus years in the tire business [ I am a Firestone retiree ]- Initially, when radial tires were in their infancy, the above was true- That is no longer the recommended procedure- I rotate every 5k and have not had a failure in 15 plus years of fulltiming- JMHO- DD
Old 09-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabalin View Post
That may have been true years ago but see the attached pic
Attached Images

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #5

Absolutely rotate them!!!
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:11 AM   #6

I only use bias-ply No radials for me on my single axle. I like the comfort of the stiff walls and the belts lay 45 degrees to the travel unlike radials. OME was bias so I wont change to radial.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Unless you are towing the trailer 10k miles a year there is not a lot of reason to rotate the tires. They will need to be replaced due to age (5-6 years) long before the tread wears out.

A vehicle's tires need to be rotated because the front wheels, that is the steering, puts a lot of extra wear on them. Rotating every 8k miles or so keeps everything even. And yes to the point above about cross rotation of radials. I have been doing this with my vehicles for many years.

Goodyear Rotation Recomendations

BF Goodrich Rotation Recomendations. For this one, click on the tire types. Different configs have different recommendations.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote