Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #21

Have your wife remind you. They never forget ANYTHING!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Have your wife remind you. They never forget ANYTHING!
Except for when they do! DW is supposed to bring the TV antenna down, she forgot once and we drove 20 miles down the interstate before we realized it. Luckily no damage done, and now it's on my checklist AND hers.

My dad was always fond of saying "write it down, that piece of paper will never forget". I used to resent little nuggets of his like this, but now that I'm older, that advice has tended to stick.

We also use laminated check lists. We have 3; one for setup/breakdown, one for hooking up the trailer, and one that lists common items we always pack. That last one even has a section labeled "things we always forget" LOL!

Once we find the list changing enough, we make a new one and laminate it. We keep them in the pantry in the trailer, and when we're packing or storing, we keep them out on the counter where we both can see them. Before we take off, we'll ask each other about common items on the list. Yes, we should probably spend a moment to go over the list item by item, but unfortunately we've gotten complacent over the years. I don't even use my hookup list any more; I've done it so much, it's all been internalized and has become automatic (which is probably reason enough to go back and check the list!!).

Seriously though, IMO a gadget might help (my preference might be solar; if you make the system big enough, you might find it very useful), but at the end of the day, I think a checklist that is religiously adhered to is the best solution.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
Site Team

And when they do, it is not good to talk about it to much!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

There are various kinds of checklists. I used a total number system when I was scuba diving. I went down the mental numbered list and restarted if there was an interruption. Same with my travel preparations and when I go to the grocery store. I write a list of say 7 items, then go down the list mentally looking for each item.

Now what was item 5, on yes, got it.

Another way was the first letter of each item put into some kind of word or makeup word one could remember. Often used that for test taking. Please list the six items: ok, that is rabbit. R = raw, A = apple, and so on.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
As hard as I try, sometimes I forget to hit the battery disconnect switch after I bring the coach home from a trip (you get in late, have to unpack in a hurry, yada yada yada) and I go back in a few days to find my battery at less than 8V, which is basically 0% charged. I have ruined more than one battery this way, and I may have just ruined (or certainly damaged) a $200 Trojan AGM deep-cycle battery. I am tired of this.

I am hoping I have a solution. I have ordered a Powerwerx Compact Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD) Battery Guard which will supposedly shut off the system if the battery drops to a user set voltage (it ignores starting load voltage drops) and reconnects automatically when the voltage reaches 12.6V.

The item cost $99 with shipping, which is a lot cheaper than a good battery, and I hope it can save me from my own carelessness.
Something is wrong with your unit. I can dry camp for as long as 4 days using lights and furnace at nite without discharging my batteries below min charge. You should be able to park and not discharge your battery in "a few days" with just the minimal parasitic demand.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #26

And I thought it was me but hey Quote from RogerS from a ways above" It really pays to be a WA when you need help." good call snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
Quote from RogerS from a ways above, directed at me:

"Since you like to pretend to know, rather than asking others to explain further, "
That is really an insulting statement, Roger, and I said nothing to warrant it, so I am consigning you to the list of "know-it-all-********"

If all you guys would have bothered to notice, my original post was NOT A QUESTION. It was a statement about what I was planning to do. I did not need to be treated like an idiot. I know most of you meant well - Roger excepted, and I do appreciate suggestions.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

No replies or comments were posted by someone named RogerS in this thread.

Having said that, I don't find anything technically wrong with the posts by me, if you are referring to me. And yes, I do know quite a bit more than the average owner, having worked as an RV service technician and RV service advisor. I also do RV extended warranty inspections and claims inspections. I have also taken the time to get my Certified RV Service Technician designation and my Certified RV Inspector designation. So yes, you probably should listen to me more, research what I'm saying, take it seriously, and react less emotionally...as this would be to your benefit to do so.

Anyway, my source of knowledge is probably gonna dry up for the forum, despite some encouragement not to leave, as I have decided not to buy a new Seneca, fine product that it is, as I hunt for used premium dp at less that half the cost, since I'm more than capable of doing my own maintenance, upgrading, repair, inspection, and warranty work.

So cheers and please, as a habit, learn to spend some time researching your issues on the internet before you post :-)
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #28

Adviser yesterday I couldn't spell it to day I r one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
No replies or comments were posted by someone named RogerS in this thread.

Having said that, I don't find anything technically wrong with the posts by me, if you are referring to me. And yes, I do know quite a bit more than the average owner, having worked as an RV service technician and RV service advisor. I also do RV extended warranty inspections and claims inspections. I have also taken the time to get my Certified RV Service Technician designation and my Certified RV Inspector designation. So yes, you probably should listen to me more, research what I'm saying, take it seriously, and react less emotionally...as this would be to your benefit to do so.

Anyway, my source of knowledge is probably gonna dry up for the forum, despite some encouragement not to leave, as I have decided not to buy a new Seneca, fine product that it is, as I hunt for used premium dp at less that half the cost, since I'm more than capable of doing my own maintenance, upgrading, repair, inspection, and warranty work.

So cheers. :-)
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote