Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Trailer brake inspection / Wheeel hub inspection & lubrication.

Hi
Has anyone had trouble with the new self adjusting brakes. We have a new 2010 31.5RLDS fifth wheel and at times when coming to a stop at a light the rig feels like it is on rough pavement on the stop. Like it is hoping on one or two wheels. I wonder if the self adusters are working right. I have read that if the wheel hubs are out of tolerance the adjusters will adjust incorrectly on there own. Sure would appreciate hearing from anyone with the same problem. Just got to our park for the winter and hate to have to go for service. Thanks for the help.
Ed
skypilot7103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Talking

If you are at the park dont worry about it till you want to leave! If it is broke it will still be broke when you want to go home! Enjoy!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #3

Several things can make a trailer brakes feel jerky, uneven or have an "inconsistent" feeling. These items could be:

A - Unwanted residue (like oil film or dirt film) on the brake drums or inner magnet surface. If trailer is new, it might have a small amount of residue. As a suggestion, remove each wheel hub and using brake cleaner spray ( http://www.ardinacarcare.nl/images/p...lean-spray.png ) , clean the brake magnet surface and brake drum surface. Thus, removing any unwanted chemical residue.

B - Could be rust (natural rust) on brake drum surface as well. Simply remove each wheel hub and using 120 grid sand paper and steel wool to remove this rust (only off the inner side of brake hub - where its brake pads come into contact). Always hand sand "in same direction" of the contact movement of the brake pads. Never sand `across the grain` (sort of speaking). Then, apply brake fluid cleaner to remove the dry rust.

C - Brake assemblies could be improperly adjusted. Self adjusting brakes (brake pads) often work great but sometimes, their adjustment mechanism can stick. Suggest removing each brake hub and ensure their adjustments can be moved by hand.

D - Could be loose wire from Vehicle's brake controller to trailer's wheel hub as well. When brakes feel uneven (when being applied), do view the LED on on vehicle's Brake Controller. If brake controller is showing bad wire connection, then odds are, a bad wire connection - NOT a mechanical problem.

E - Improper (unsynchronized) feeling of both vehicle brakes and trailer brakes can also be from the Brake Controller type as well. If currently using a "time technology" brake controller, remove it and "throw it away". Yes - throw it into the trash. IMO, timed brake controller technology should be illegal. Replace with a proportional (aka: "motion sensor") brake controller technology. For example, Prodigy P2 or P3. For example:

F - Could also be a nicked or pinched 10 gauge brake wire. Thus, only allowing small amount of current to some / single wheel hub. When doing wheel hub cleaning / grease re-packing, always double / triple inspect its thick 10 gauge duplex brake wiring as well.

If brake wiring needs to be replaced (due to old age or due to damage), do replace its factory linear design with "much better" Star Design configuration. For pictures of each, surf:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ing-Linear.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...iring-Star.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...g/100_1429.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...g/100_1433.jpg

If wondering, I replaced the linear design with star design wiring on each of my trailers (re: previous 19ft TT, my 1 x utility trailer and current 2006 Jayco 29FBS), and am very impressed with its improved braking ability. This wiring design also allows "even" distribution of 12V current to each wheel hub as well. To me, all trailers should have mandatory Star Design brake wiring as "minimum code".

As suggested, I'd leave your trailer as is (re: at The Park for Winter months). Before you tow your 5er/TT again (this spring ???), I'd remove each wheel hub, inspect/clean their inner wheel hubs (and brake assembly areas) and install NEW wheel bearing grease. Simply do 1 wheel at a time and within 3 hours, all 4 wheels can be cleaned and inspected. If wondering, natural rust will form inside the wheel hubs during damp winter months. Thus, always best to clean and re-pack grease in wheel hubs each spring (before towing your 5er/TT anywhere). And yes, DIY hub inspection, rust removal, cleaning and re-packing wheel bearing grease can be done "at the Park" with simple DIY tools.

For some good DIY movies of wheel hub removals, brake inspection & re-packing wheel grease, surf:

http://www.youtube.com/user/etrailertv?v=FMiunGtuSP4

Hope this helps as well...

Good luck....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot7103 View Post
Hi
Has anyone had trouble with the new self adjusting brakes. We have a new 2010 31.5RLDS fifth wheel and at times when coming to a stop at a light the rig feels like it is on rough pavement on the stop. Like it is hoping on one or two wheels. I wonder if the self adusters are working right. I have read that if the wheel hubs are out of tolerance the adjusters will adjust incorrectly on there own. Sure would appreciate hearing from anyone with the same problem. Just got to our park for the winter and hate to have to go for service. Thanks for the help.
Ed

Ed,

Before we go to a ton of trouble, can you tell me what brake controller you are using?
cciparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #5

Hi Wes
I am using a Kelsey hayes controller it has served me well on my other fifth wheel. The rough stop has only happened about three or four times on a 2500 miles first time out. I read that if the tolerances are out on the hub the self adjusters will try to compensate for the our of round. The tolerances on trailers are not considered as critical as with autos but now with the self adjuster's I am wondering if this is such a great idea. Thanks for any help on this matter.

Ed
P.S. This is a brand new unit and thought it would be good to go.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

Ed,

I honestly don't think your problem is in the braking system itself as much as in the gain on your controller. Check your 7 way plug for corrosion. We haven't had one issue with the new self adjusting brakes. Engineering says they haven't had any reports of problems either. Please keep me posted on what you find.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

Hi Wes
Re Checked all connection points on plugs and harness everything clean no corrosion what so ever. Do you think a proportional controller would be better than the Kelsey in using self adjusting brakes? Thank you for all your help.
Ed
Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

Quite honestly the only experience I've had with brake controllers on these units are the Voyager and the Prodigy (both Tekonsha products). We use the Voyager in all our company vehicles and it is the controller we provide customers who purchase new RV's. Voyager is a proportional controller. We haven't experienced any issues thus far and you must remember, we are Exclusively Jayco. Maybe the answer to your question is to go proportional.

Of course the Prodigy is the more expensive, no hassle, digital controller that does everything but make your coffee. LOL
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #9

Hi Wes
Thanks again for all of your Great Input, I will be looking at the Tekonsha controllers. Have a Great Christmas sure do appreciate the help.
Ed
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #10

Just an FYI.... The Hayes "SYNCRONIZER" Brake Controller is a "Time based" Controller.

Below is from their online manual @ http://www.hayesbc.com/?page_id=17

re: "The longer the brake pedal is depressed, the greater the current delivered to the trailer brakes. The current will increase until it reaches the preset brake power adjustment setting.".

As stated in my above post, do Internet Search your specific brand / model of Brake Controller. If a "Time Based" system, rip it out and throw it away. IMO, time based technology Brake Controllers should be illegal. Get a "motion sensor" (formal name of "proportional") Brake Controller technology instead.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #11

Thanks for the info spike
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot7103 View Post
Hi Wes
Thanks again for all of your Great Input, I will be looking at the Tekonsha controllers. Have a Great Christmas sure do appreciate the help.
Ed
Merry Christmas to your too Ed. Always glad to throw in my opinion.