Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer Leveling Question

I have a Jayco with two axles. When I level the camper and pull it up on blocks do I need to have both wheels on the block. I currently leveled with one wheel blocked to the point where the back wheel is just barely touching the ground. Just not sure if I can do something to hurt anything with weight not being distributed evenly on both tires.
leemen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #2

Realistically, it wont hurt a thing. if you are going to be parking it for an extended time, then both wheels should be on the blocks. If it is just for a quick weekend camping trip, then all should be fine. I assume you are putting your stabilizer jacks down....

Coincidentally, remember the way you have parked it this time though. I once came across a gentlemen who was busily working under one axle of his trailer trying to jack it up to change is front axle flat tire. I offered to help and informed him to put his jack away and loosen the lug nuts. Then we put a series of blocks down and backed the trailer up onto the blocks so that the flat tire was sufficiently off the ground. lickity split he had his spare tire on and was on the road. No using the jack to lift the trailer needed.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

We always place blocks under both tires. Blocking under just one tire may not hurt but it certainly doesn't help.

NV, I like your tip about changing a flat without a jack - thanks for posting it.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

Your trailer has axle and tire weight maximums(eg, 3500lbs per axle= 7000lbs GVWR ). My guess if you are levelling your trailer on one tire only(or one axle), then your more likely to have the majority of your trailer weight on 1 axle(and one tire) instead of 2, therefor you might be over weight on whatever your single axle rating is potentially causing damage. Just my thoughts, not sure if I am correct..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
We always place blocks under both tires. Blocking under just one tire may not hurt but it certainly doesn't help.

NV, I like your tip about changing a flat without a jack - thanks for posting it.

Ken
I have one of these that I carry for just such an event:

Trailer-Aid - Camco TRAILER AID - Towing Accessories - Camping World

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

From previous threads on this subject, I learned that it depends on how much height you need to add under the wheel to get your trailer level.

Adding a block to just one wheel gives you a height adjustment of 1/2 the thickness of the block. Under both wheels raises the trailer side the full thickness of the block. For example, if (like me) you're using 5/4 deck boards (they're 1" thick) to level your trailer, putting one under one wheel will raise that side of the trailer about 1/2". Putting it under both wheels will raise it about an inch. 2 blocks under one wheel, about 1-1/2"; 2 blocks under both wheels, about 2".

Your trailer's frame & suspension are built to take the weight (within reason). Just don't use your stabilizers to jack up your trailer. They are not built to take the weight . . . that's why they're called "stabilizers", and not "levelers". Also, don't forget the wheel chocks!

Hope this helps clear things up!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #7

As mentioned above, you are more than likely over your axle weight rating if you only ramp on one tire. Go ahead and do it right and ramp up (block) both tires .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote