Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Red face Trailers, Tires and Leaf Springs, Oh My! (Long)

I recently had an unusual thing happen while towing my TT involving two flat tires inside of 5 minutes while towing my brand new 30' TT to my second campout. Nothing like it has ever happened to me in 18 years of RV'ing, but I thought others could benefit from my experience.
It started Friday evening around 5:30 PM in the traffic swarming out of the Bay Area on I580. I was on Altamont Pass for anyone familar with the area...not a fun place to have a breakdown.
The culprit was a broken section of the leaf spring pack on one axle that had worked its way out of alignment to create a very efficient knife for slicing into the sidewall of the closest tire, twice!
With the help of AAA road service, Good Sam road service, my dealer, Discover RV of French Camp, CA and a fantastic fellow from Amigo’s Tire and Brake in Tracy, CA, I was able to safely spend the night in my trailer by the side of the road and get two new tires and a new spring pack installed in time to make the potluck dinner that Saturday Night with the NorCal Starcraft Camping Club.
The Starcraft warranty system kicked in the following week and I soon had a check for my part of the weekend’s damage (Good Sam paid for the rest) and a great story to tell.
How did it happen? No one is sure, but the springs had been broken through for some time, prior to my buying the trailer. Over the course of my driving 200 miles or so, bringing the trailer home, going on the first campout and now, driving to my 2nd outing, the spring pivoted enough to stay in the pack but contact the inside wall of the tire. Neither the first AAA driver nor I saw the spring when the 1st tire was changed. Why not? I’ll say it was due to the excitement level, the darkness, the mind-numbing noise of the traffic going by and my desire to get going.
The second driver (for the 2nd flat) noticed it when we jacked up the trailer (in a much quieter place) to spin the tire to see if we could find the leak and if the Slime I carried might stop it up. His “Dude, you are not going anywhere tonight” introduced me to the sight of the spring sticking out where no spring was supposed to be. (He also helped me later to find and retrieve my thin, dark cellphone in the jumble of things in the cab of the van at 10:30 PM when I misplaced it and was pretty frazzled by the whole experience of the evening,…but that is another story…)
I learned a couple of things that night and the next day:
  1. Always try to determine what caused your tire to fail in the first place (if it’s not all shredded and beyond inspection).
  2. If you are at all handy, make sure you have the tools and a jack to remove the flat and replace the spare.
  3. A pint of Slime and an air compressor is a good alternative to carrying a 2nd spare tire.
  4. A really good flashlight, a headlamp and/or a stable, point-able flashlight will make life a lot easier if you are trying to do any work on your trailer at night.
  5. Your cell phone and a Good Sam road service plan (and a way to keep your phone charged on the road) can make all the difference in the world.
In my case, while AAA came out to change my tire and try to help me with getting to a safe location, it was Good Sam who, Friday night, organized the “rescue operation” for Saturday morning, called me to confirm I was ok, found a service provider that would come out to where I was on the side of the road and covered the expense of that service call. They made a difficult situation much, much easier to deal with and I am very happy that Starcraft included that membership with my new trailer. I am also very glad I had both services.
Stuff happens when we are out intending to have fun. This experience showed me that a little preparation, some basic knowledge and a charged-up cell phone can turn a modest disaster into another kind of adventure.
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, glad everything turned out well considering the course of events..., and great travel tips offered from a real life experience ..... the best teacher!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #3

Yeah, that's quite a story! Glad things turned out ok. Never hurts to just lie on your back and scootch around under your trailer looking at things before you take it out.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

Wow! Thank God there were no injuries during all this.
It sounds like the people you encountered were truly the best of the best of the best.
Glad to hear everything turned out so well.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

It was quite an experience and I have a couple of pictures in my album here if anyone is curious what it all looked like.

I forgot to add that the first spring we tried roadside was too long, so we pounded the broken leaves back into place and I fashioned a splint for the spring from a long bolt I found by the side of the road, a hose clamp from my sewer hose kit and of course, Duct Tape (the clear variety). It worked well enough for that short trip and I think if I had seen the spring sticking out after the first tire blew, I could have made the splint earlier and saved myself some heart ache and a 2nd sliced tire.

This lash-up worked well enough to get me 6 miles down the freeway to the tire shop where we had air tools and could take everything apart and put it back together with the new, right-sized spring.

Giving your trailer's mechanicals a quick once over before you take off is always a good idea. I do that, but I confess I never considered that the leaf springs could or would fracture and cause a problem...
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Glad everything is safe and things worked out OK. It is an experience and reminder also for fellow RV's not to take things for granted. Yes visual inspection under any vehicle is a good habit. Most of us are going the rated speed within the limit of the tires. Can you image some one going around 120km/80 miles an hour and have a tire failure. I passed that accident and down the embankment it was not a pretty site. A family where rushing to their campsite on a long weekend. The message in this tread is a good reminder things can happen to all of us RVers.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Glad everything is safe and things worked out OK. It is an experience and reminder also for fellow RV's not to take things for granted. Yes visual inspection under any vehicle is a good habit. Most of us are going the rated speed within the limit of the tires. Can you image some one going around 120km/80 miles an hour and have a tire failure. I passed that accident and down the embankment it was not a pretty site. A family where rushing to their campsite on a long weekend. The message in this tread is a good reminder things can happen to all of us RVers.
Good point, well taken, ALJO. I like the old sayings. Most of them have survived because of their validity. In the situation you passed on the road it would have been "better late than never".
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, flats, good sam, spring, tires