Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #1

TST 507 TPMS and Tire Balance

I'm considering getting the TST 507 TPMS (not the flow through) for all five tires on my F150. Does anyone know if it would be necessary to have the tires and rims rebalanced after installing them?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Site Team

If I were doing it, I would have them balanced if they have not already been balanced. I would also consider metal valve stems as a precaution.

The sensors are not supposed to affect the balance and when they balance them, it is with the sensor off anyhow.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #3

I didn't have mine re-balanced after installing the TST system and haven't had any issues at all.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

Do you have to, NO. However most vehicle manufactures recommend rotating and balancing the tires every 6 months and/or around every 6K to 8K miles.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm considering getting the TST 507 TPMS (not the flow through) for all five tires on my F150. Does anyone know if it would be necessary to have the tires and rims rebalanced after installing them?
I have the same year of F150 (2010) and when I first got my TST flow-throughs for my trailer, I installed them on my truck to try them out and it kept giving me a TPMS fault with the Ford system. When it first occurred I thought maybe one of the sensors was installed improperly and was allowing air to escape but I checked the pressure on all tires and they were fine. I shut off truck and re-started and TPMS fault was gone, drove another 10 miles and it came on again. Got home and removed the TST's and installed them on the trailer and have not had a problem with the Ford stock TPMS since. I have not researched the cause, but you may want to look into it further before installing on your truck.

Of course if you are replacing the Ford TPMS with TST non-flow throughs, you might not get the same faults but you would have the warning light on the dash which people put a small black piece of tape over when they have there winter tires without TPMS sensors on their truck.

I do have an in-dash Kenwood GPS/RV which gives me the exact tire pressure for each individual tire which it reads from the Ford computer. It does not give the temperature like the TST, but it does give exact pressure, which is accurate confirmed manually, by reading the signal from OBDII port. I'll try and take a screen shot and post it. Feel free to ask any other questions.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Do you have to, NO. However most vehicle manufactures recommend rotating and balancing the tires every 6 months and/or around every 6K to 8K miles.
Good point. If I get them, I'll just wait after putting them on until the tires are due for rotation/rebalancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I have the same year of F150 (2010) and when I first got my TST flow-throughs for my trailer, I installed them on my truck to try them out and it kept giving me a TPMS fault with the Ford system. When it first occurred I thought maybe one of the sensors was installed improperly and was allowing air to escape but I checked the pressure on all tires and they were fine. I shut off truck and re-started and TPMS fault was gone, drove another 10 miles and it came on again. Got home and removed the TST's and installed them on the trailer and have not had a problem with the Ford stock TPMS since. I have not researched the cause, but you may want to look into it further before installing on your truck.

Of course if you are replacing the Ford TPMS with TST non-flow throughs, you might not get the same faults but you would have the warning light on the dash which people put a small black piece of tape over when they have there winter tires without TPMS sensors on their truck...
Mine is an '08 Screw (SuperCrew). When I replaced my tires last week (and got sideswiped on the freeway on my way to the dealer; just what I needed ), the dealer goofed and ordered only four tires, thinking he already had one. He didn't so I had to leave my spare behind (the old tires were too old to keep one for a spare) and pick it up the next day. While I was without the spare, the Ford TPMS light stayed off so, if the TPMS sensor is gone or out of range, the light won't come on. I did get metal valve stems with the new tires (I hate and don't trust the rubber ones).

It the light does come on when I put the flow through sensors on, I'll just ignore it.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

You mention 5 tires, which I assume you're including the spare. If these work the same way as OEM sensors, it won't work on the spare. TPMS sensors need to see rotation in order to "wake them up".
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

The TST sensors require no movement to wake them up. If there's pressure on them, they're awake 24/7. If you take them off of the tire and the pressure is therefore reduced to zero, they will go to sleep. OEM sensors could be different.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The TST sensors require no movement to wake them up. If there's pressure on them, they're awake 24/7. If you take them off of the tire and the pressure is therefore reduced to zero, they will go to sleep. OEM sensors could be different.
OK, Thanks !! OEM sensors do go into a "sleep" mode which is probably why they have a 10 year battery life.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

Hopper,
I believe the newest generation of TST sensors DO go to sleep with no rotation after a short period of time.
At least that was one of the arguments the company used to talk me into upgrading.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Mine don't on the 510 system. Non user changeable batteries that lasted 5 years.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Going to sleep sans rotation would certainly be a nice battery saving feature! I can change the batteries on my 507s but it's a bother.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
Site Team

I just turn mine own the day before I am leaving and wait a few minutes for all to register. If all are ok, I don't need to remove the sensor to check the pressure.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I just turn mine own the day before I am leaving and wait a few minutes for all to register. If all are ok, I don't need to remove the sensor to check the pressure.
Do you move the vehicle first to get the sensors to turn on or do they stay turned on even after setting idle for a while?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Going to sleep sans rotation would certainly be a nice battery saving feature! I can change the batteries on my 507s but it's a bother.
For me, that would defeat the main reason for getting them. My spare is located under the truck and, since I'm handicapped, getting under there to check tire pressure, then getting back out and back onto my feet is a painful chore. I just ordered the basic plus another pair but, if they won't monitor my spare for me, everything is going back!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #16

The 507 transmitters stay on as long as they are subjected to pressure. Only the monitor goes into sleep mode. And it will awaken with the slightest vibration. (It has an accelerometer.)
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #17

X2 what Brent said.

No problem monitoring the spare - any movement, not just rotation, will turn/keep them on.

All I know is that the batteries last a LOT longer than on the previous model. I had trouble getting one season out of the old ones.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
The 507 transmitters stay on as long as they are subjected to pressure. Only the monitor goes into sleep mode. And it will awaken with the slightest vibration. (It has an accelerometer.)
That was the impression I got when I read the manual online will work for me so thanks for verifying it! Now, once I get the darned thing (I ordered it yesterday but haven't heard back from TST yet), the fun part will be figuring out where to mount the monitor and permanently hook up the power lead without it dangling in the air all the way down to the power port looking Michael Mouse. I do not like the idea have having to install and remove the power cord every so often to recharge the battery. Frequently recharging the battery will also reduce its life.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
X2 what Brent said.

No problem monitoring the spare - any movement, not just rotation, will turn/keep them on.

All I know is that the batteries last a LOT longer than on the previous model. I had trouble getting one season out of the old ones.
Thanks for verifying that!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #20
Site Team

I talked with TST a month or so ago and they confirmed that the sensors are activated by pressure. The only way to extend battery life is to remove them. The receiving /monitor unit does shut off after it senses lack of motion and goes into a sleep mode.

I use my rig enough that I just leave them on the tires all the time. I may consider getting an additional sensor for the spare one day.
Gator roll-up bed cover